Questions about the different D* sats and HD

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cheebs

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 15, 2005
WEll, I've been trying to make head or tail of this, but only have managed to confuse myself more LOL.

So, the argument from D* is that they have no satellite capacity to carry any more MPEG2 HD channels.

What I can't undestand is why they don't use the apparently very large capacity that sits unused on the 110 satellite. At the moment, only 3 transponders from that bird are in use. Now, I was under the impression that D* had moved the malfunctioning DTV6 satellite out of the 110 slot, and replaced it with the properly working DTV5 that was at 119. DTV 5 was replaced at 119 with the massively-capable DTV7S with its array of spot and national beams.

Para Todos, which used to be on 110, was moved to 119. AS I said before, only 3 xponders on 110 remain active.

From Loral, who built the DTV5 sat:

The satellite carries 32 Ku-band transponders operating at 113 W per channel, switchable to 16 transponders operating at 220 W per channel.

So, can anyone tell me why there are so many unused transponders on 110, and why D* isn't using them to increase their HD offering? Did I miss something?

As I have read it, they need to have licencing to transmit from each, if you don't, or someone else has it, then too bad so to speak.

cheebs said:
WEll, I've been trying to make head or tail of this, but only have managed to confuse myself more LOL.

So, the argument from D* is that they have no satellite capacity to carry any more MPEG2 HD channels.

What I can't undestand is why they don't use the apparently very large capacity that sits unused on the 110 satellite. At the moment, only 3 transponders from that bird are in use. Now, I was under the impression that D* had moved the malfunctioning DTV6 satellite out of the 110 slot, and replaced it with the properly working DTV5 that was at 119. DTV 5 was replaced at 119 with the massively-capable DTV7S with its array of spot and national beams.

Para Todos, which used to be on 110, was moved to 119. AS I said before, only 3 xponders on 110 remain active.

From Loral, who built the DTV5 sat:

The satellite carries 32 Ku-band transponders operating at 113 W per channel, switchable to 16 transponders operating at 220 W per channel.

directv only has the authority to use 3 tsp at the 110 slot.

paratodos was always at 119 (spanish anyway)

what programming do you want provided? just out of morbid curiosity??:confused:

dragon002 said:
directv only has the authority to use 3 tsp at the 110 slot.

paratodos was always at 119 (spanish anyway)

what programming do you want provided? just out of morbid curiosity??:confused:

See, that was the answer I was looking for... just a licensing thing. Sucks they don't own more tsp licenses on that slot.

I can think of National Geo HD, Starz HD, TNT HD (moot point now that it's being added) and whatever else is out there that D* can get their hands on.

My mistake abt Para Todos, dunno why I thought it was originally on the 110.

AFAIK, there's only a total of 32 transponder frequencies that fit in the KU band for DBS. As you know D* has 3 of them and our friends over at E* have the other 29. Similar situation at 119, D* has 11 and E* has 21.

Imagine if direct and echo merged a year or two ago, tons of duplicated channels could have been dumped and more HD made available.
should have could have would have:rolleyes:

pampaul said:
Imagine if direct and echo merged a year or two ago, tons of duplicated channels could have been dumped and more HD made available.
should have could have would have:rolleyes:

that will NEVER happen, thank God

hmmm, I think it would have delt the cable companies a big blow. I wonder if the fcc is in bed with cable companies? It seems the cable companies always come out smelling like roses. Direct and echo need to budget more lobby money.:D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts