Questions about the new XiP Receivers?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Hey guys, sorry I have been busy in meetings the past few days and it's been non stop! I haven't had time to read through all the posts to get your questions about the new DISH Network XiP receiver line.

I have spent a few hours learning about the XiP so if you got a question about the XiP's (and only the XiP's please in this thread) then ask away and I will do my best to answer them over the next few days. (I say that because I have more meetings today and tonight and then I fly out of Denver at 6am and get back home to Connecticut at 6PM tomorrow night.)

Some questions I will answer is how did it work when I played with it? The answer is it didn't. The display was a mock up with non functioning systems. I have heard that the hardware was real but the software was not ready to display as of yet.

When will it be out? Echostar is working to get the box to DISH Network by November, when DISH Network gets the box out the door is anyone's guess. Personally I wouldnt be surprised if we did not see it until next year.

How is it wired? It uses standard coax, the cable going to the XiP110 can be any pre-existing cable in your house, RG59 or RG6.

Is it HD to all rooms? Yes it is. Full HD with all the features you would expect on a DISH DVR.

Does it have an over the air TV tuner built in? No it does not nor does it use an OTA tuning cartridge like a 722k / 922. Instead you will be able to add OTA by inserting a USB OTA Tuner in any of the XiP receivers on your networks. (And that tuner will be shared with all the XiP devices on your network automatically.)

What version of MoCA is the XiP Series running? Yesterday I posted incorrectly that the XiP receivers are using the new MoCA 2.0 technology, this is incorrect and are using MoCA 1.0. MoCA 2 chipsets have not been released yet.

So there we go something to get you started... again I will try to answer your questions when I have time. :)

Thank you for being SatelliteGuys and I hope you enjoyed our coverage of the 2011 Team Summit event! :D

Awesome. I did not hear anything about the OTA. As long as they give us a way to have OTA on the receiver I'm a happy camper.

By the way, it was great being able to finally meet you Scott.

Does it have an over the air TV tuner built in?

No it does not nor does it use an OTA tuning cartridge like a 722k / 922. Instead you will be able to add OTA by inserting a USB OTA Tuner in any of the XiP receivers on your networks. (And that tuner will be shared with all the XiP devices on your network automatically.)

Is their a limit to the number of OTA tuners that can be added? Are DVR features available for the OTA tuners connected?

Is their a limit to the number of OTA tuners that can be added? Are DVR features available for the OTA tuners connected?
As far as I know... no there are no limits to the OTA tuners. And yes they would have full DVR features just like they do now.

How about external hard drives? I'm assuming that if based on the 922 system that we can used a USB hub and connect several? That would be good since I think the 1TB internal drive is fairly small for a "whole house DVR" especially since I'm sure 500GB would be reserved by dish (like the current 922 model).

Any chance you discussed the ability to diplex OTA, or other signals (such as cable internet)?

Are you required to use coax to the remote boxes or can you use Ethernet/802.11n if that's what you already have in your home?

Why are there two Ethernet ports on the XiP813?

:pats himself on the back for calling the USB OTA Tuner option

Do the RG cables need to be dedicated lines or can you split one line multiple times like original home cable wiring? There are couple of locations in my house were I could potentially add TVs is I can use the existing home wiring vs the existing Dish wiring.

Good that there's an OTA solution. Bad that this is all vaporware at the moment. The hardware is the easy part since you are limited to what's on the shelf or what you have already designed. The hard and most difficult part is the software to make everything work. I'm guessing E* sees how D*'s whole house DVR has put them at a disadvantage and this is an attempt to keep retailers spirits up. How long has E* owned Sling and how long did it take to get a Dish/Echostar branded sling solution to market? We're still waiting on some of it. Speaking of the 922, when was it announced and how long did it take to get to market in even its buggy mode that wiped out EHDs? E* has 6 months or less to get the stuff working and to Dish. If they don't have a working prototype now, I wonder the odds of that timetable being met. Call me skeptical, but based on past projects, we may be lucky to see this by this time next year. I hope I'm wrong.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)