Questions about the new XiP Receivers?

The 922 is not dead. I would speculate that the 722 series would be retired before the 922. There will be demand for a 1-2 TV solution without the extra cost of MRV. If the MRV from Dish has the 922 look and feel, Dish will probably want to keep it around so all the solutions look the same. The three receivers I see Dish going forward with are the 211 for really cheap accounts, 922 for 1-2 TV accounts and XIP for multiple TV (3+) accounts. I do not see the XIP solution being much cheaper than other Dish solutions. I would suspect a $10 DVR fee like the 922, and a per TV fee for the 110s. Then I would see another fee if you want another 813.

IF DISH decides to charge for the 110 boxes like they do the addtional receivers on your accout and then a $10.00 dvr fee and a possible MRV fee like Directv charges except HIGHER , the entire whole house dvr concept will be a non starter for me. The whole thing that was most appealing to me about the whole house dvr, was a way to avoid some of these extra made up , charge it, just because we can: DISH FEES. I am still waiting on the sling extender to complete tv 2 in hd in my bedroom and I will be all set. I already have tv 1 in hd + google revue on my living room and computer room- using hdmi splitter . My kid has his 211+dvr software for his room. All I need is the sling extender and I would have the 4th hd tv in my house with hd. My kid doesn't really share my tastes in programs and still watches cartoons .

As for the 922 being dead end concept , let me explain that the idea behind the promised features of the 922 are now dead. There is no built in google tv /web browser and there won't be due to processing capacity . The main thing I wanted the 922 dvr for was Tv 2 in hd and now the 922 isn't needed for that. I have a 722k with sling adapter and a google revue and all I need is the extender and I will have all I wanted the 922 for , plus the existing features of manual timers and dish pass on the 722k itself, instead of online with the 922. As for the 922 graphics and menus and channel logos. I truly LOVED them. The best part of the 922 were those features . Now the 813 will use them as well. The 922 will be around and will probably become used for those subs who don't need more than two tvs in their house with satellite. As you said , it now behaves like the 722k for the most part-minus the above mentioned manual /dishpass timers. But the whole concept has taken too long to come to fruition. The industry has moved on and whole house dvr is now the in thing on Directv,Uverse and hopefully DISH ,coming SOON!

Hey, all I need is a sling extender to make TV2 in my bedroom HD and I'm all set. Now would I ever upgrade to the XIP series in the future? Not until the day comes when the VIP series becomes completely obsolete and unsupported. Who knows, maybe after the 813/110 comes out, DISH could update the 922 so it could work with the whole-house DVR service as well. Don't know how it would exactly work, but if the 922 uses the same software and has similar hardware to the 813, I don't see why it wouldn't work, right?

No they can't as the 922 does not support MoCA.

So the 922 will not be part of the whole house concept and is basically at a dead end for the future. It might as well be lumped together with the 722/722k receivers as far as the way they work . They will all be able to sling in hd to tv 2 once the sling extender comes to market and you already have the sling adapter.

So the 922 will not be part of the whole house concept and is basically at a dead end for the future. It might as well be lumped together with the 722/722k receivers as far as the way they work . They will all be able to sling in hd to tv 2 once the sling extender comes to market and you already have the sling adapter.

Yes. Dead to you, but perfectly fine if the features it does have meets your needs. Not dead as in "End of Life" - not being manufactured or updated anymore. (As far as we know.)

Yes. Dead to you, but perfectly fine if the features it does have meets your needs. Not dead as in "End of Life" - not being manufactured or updated anymore. (As far as we know.)
Well if the 922 meets your needs it is fine for you. I am talking about the future of the 922 in relation to other DISH receivers. The future looks like the 813 /110 and a whole house dvr concept. As I said before you might as well lump the 922 with the 722/722k line of receivers because they all work the same now ,except for manual and dish pass timers and of course graphics and menus. Especially if you add the sling adapter and a sling extender to the 722/722k , you get the same outcome as the 922: TV 2 in hd. Effectively it is at a dead end for the future just like the 722/722k receivers are at a dead end. There is no future application that they will use the 922 for , other than possibly networking two of them together. To me it made more sense to network all your receivers in one house like DIRECTV did and you wouldn't need another new receiver.

If they implement the missing functions of the 922 such as web browser on the 813 then later add those functions to the 922 if the software is similar.

Seeing that they introduced just the one 813 receiver for three tuners, it seems like they plan on using the 722 for one HD room, 922 for two HD rooms and 813 for three HD rooms. The 211 would probably be used for a good while as a one room solution while I see the 222 dying off as it only does one room in HD. I don't know if they would introduce a replacement to the 222 that would do two HD outputs without being a DVR. The cost difference to the customer is only $3 so they might force a dual tuner HD DVR for those that want 2 HD tv's in the future to simplify the product line which would make all their products have HD outputs to all televisions (if 722 can output HD to TV2 with sling) The 722 could live on if they could sling HD out to TV2 if not then the 922 could be seen as a replacement for it.

Perhaps the future is sling technology for 2 HD televisions (722/922) and Moca for 3 HD televisions (813). They might do this until product runs out then either stick with just the 813 as the only DVR receiver or come out with another one with fewer tuners for those not needing three HD televisions.

Maybe they will just stick with the 3 tuner 813 to simplify things and just charge for each 110 that is connected to it as an additional outlet.

I agree. The 922 is the new user interface that they will continue to develop on and we should see improvements. Or at least that's what I hope. :)

I agree. The 922 is the new user interface that they will continue to develop on and we should see improvements. Or at least that's what I hope. :)

Well the graphics , menus and channel logos of the 922 will be used in the next series of dvrs the 813. That has already been reported by Scott G. at team summit. But I'm betting that the 922 type of receiver will not be built upon, anymore than the 722/722k series of dvrs will be. The 813 dvr is the future. Now how about an 814 with 4 sat tuners? I would really like that one .:D

What's going to generate more revenue, a new receiver, or an add-on module?? ;)

I would say an add on module...

An add on module can cost $20 - $30 to make yet they can sell it for $99...

A new receiver costs them over $600 a make yes they sell it for $200.

You figure out the math. :)

Well the graphics , menus and channel logos of the 922 will be used in the next series of dvrs the 813. That has already been reported by Scott G. at team summit. But I'm betting that the 922 type of receiver will not be built upon, anymore than the 722/722k series of dvrs will be. The 813 dvr is the future. Now how about an 814 with 4 sat tuners? I would really like that one .:D

The 922 has a long healthy life ahead of it. :D

If they implement the missing functions of the 922 such as web browser on the 813 then later add those functions to the 922 if the software is similar.

Seeing that they introduced just the one 813 receiver for three tuners, it seems like they plan on using the 722 for one HD room, 922 for two HD rooms and 813 for three HD rooms. The 211 would probably be used for a good while as a one room solution while I see the 222 dying off as it only does one room in HD. I don't know if they would introduce a replacement to the 222 that would do two HD outputs without being a DVR. The cost difference to the customer is only $3 so they might force a dual tuner HD DVR for those that want 2 HD tv's in the future to simplify the product line which would make all their products have HD outputs to all televisions (if 722 can output HD to TV2 with sling) The 722 could live on if they could sling HD out to TV2 if not then the 922 could be seen as a replacement for it.

Perhaps the future is sling technology for 2 HD televisions (722/922) and Moca for 3 HD televisions (813). They might do this until product runs out then either stick with just the 813 as the only DVR receiver or come out with another one with fewer tuners for those not needing three HD televisions.

Maybe they will just stick with the 3 tuner 813 to simplify things and just charge for each 110 that is connected to it as an additional outlet.

The entire idea for the 813 is that it can be used in 4 rooms for 4 hdtvs or a 814. I still think that a 4 sat tuner dvr for 4 rooms would be better. Then add an ota module for each 110 and the 814 itself and you get 4 ota tuners as well=8 shows at a time!

The entire idea for the 813 is that it can be used in 4 rooms for 4 hdtvs or a 814. I still think that a 4 sat tuner dvr for 4 rooms would be better. Then add an ota module for each 110 and the 814 itself and you get 4 ota tuners as well=8 shows at a time!

Thats great if your a SatelliteGuys member, but most non SatelliteGuys users do not use their receivers that way. ;)