Questions about VIP722, Sling Adapter, and using Internet

MW390

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 16, 2005
I just recently got a VIP722K, VIP612, a Sling adapter (on the 722) and
a Turbo plug. The Turbo plug has an IP address on my local network as
well as the 722 and 612. Here are my questions.

To view via the Internet must I make the 722 "open" to the Internet.
Does it use a specific port number so I can pass thru the firewall like
I do with my PRO-HD slingbox. The 612 has an IP address so can I
assume I can watch it on my Android/PC?

I was able to connect to my Android phone to the 722 and when I
brought the little remote icon up no matter watch channel I "dialed"
or if I used the guide it never seemed to go above the standard
over the air TV channels. I only ask here because the website is like
finding a needle in a haystack and Google is not much better.
Thanks.

The only receivers supporting the Sling Adapter at this time are the 722 and 722k. If you plug in a Sling Adapter to your 612, it will probably state "Unsupported USB device connected" or something like that. I sure wish the Sling Adapter were supported; I'd slap one on my 612 in a heartbeat.

To view via the Internet must I make the 722 "open" to the Internet.
Does it use a specific port number so I can pass thru the firewall like
I do with my PRO-HD slingbox.

I haven't set up any port forwarding whatsoever for my 722 w/Sling Adapter. Some folks claim UPnP is needed, while I claim my old router had UPnP disabled yet the Sling Adapter still worked. Haven't tried turning it off on my new router, so perhaps "some folks" are right.

I haven't set up any port forwarding whatsoever for my 722 w/Sling Adapter. Some folks claim UPnP is needed, while I claim my old router had UPnP disabled yet the Sling Adapter still worked. Haven't tried turning it off on my new router, so perhaps "some folks" are right.

"Some Folks" are wrong - UPnP and port forwarding are not required (at least in most instances). It may well be needed if using the older Sling software to connect "directly" to the box, but the current paradigm with DishOnline/DRA arbitrating the connection works around that with most router/firewalls.

"Some Folks" are wrong - UPnP and port forwarding are not required (at least in most instances). It may well be needed if using the older Sling software to connect "directly" to the box, but the current paradigm with DishOnline/DRA arbitrating the connection works around that with most router/firewalls.

Can anyone answer the part about not being able to watch all channels using Android on the little remote ??

Can anyone answer the part about not being able to watch all channels using Android on the little remote ??
Sorry, I haven't used droid client. Do you see the same behavior using the DishOnline on the PC? Are any unusual "TV2" locks set up?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)