Questions before ordering an install

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

wabbleknee

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 10, 2011
FLa
Thinking about getting Dish and have a couple of questions. Zip 32712. None of which I have been able to find at Dish Network Web

1. Most likely will go with 240+ channels option?
2. Will use the Special Offer Military & Vets?
3. My son is a Dish subscriber, said there was a "family" discount # for both of us?
4. I have a brand new roof and do not want a dish antenna connected to it. Is there a metal pole option?
5. I also want the Hopper 3 w/2Joey's. See no option to choose that.
6 What would be the $, in [detail] for each option/discount etc

Looking for answers to all 6 questions, however if you can only answer 1, that will help also. Tx

Last edited:
Thinking about getting Dish and have a couple of questions. Zip 32712. None of which I have been able to find at Dish Network Web

3. My son is a Dish subscriber, said there was a "family" discount # for both of us?
4. I have a brand new roof and do not want a dish antenna connected to it. Is there a metal pole option?

Looking for answers to all 6 questions, however if you can only answer 1, that will help also. Tx
The 240 is throwing money away on one provider. Look at Flex Plan. The savings can help pay for one or two streaminhg packages which offer more than Dish IMO.
No Military discount
No "family discount", but she could get a referral code for you.
Don't try to order on line. Pick up your phone...then ask the 5 & 6 questions.

Reactions: Howard Simmons
Not sure of the question here. The military promotion is a few extra channels that may or may not be included with whatever package you go for, and a free PPV rental every month. Its free, but not exactly a "discount". Other then that go for whatever package you need/calls your attention, and once your 2 year contract expires look into the Flex package. (AT120 is $5 more then Flex as a new customer, so I don't see why not do that then downgrade latter)
Your son needs to contact Dish/go online and ask for/obtain a referral code, and give it to you. This is provided at the moment you sign up. Make sure your account is opened with his referral no mater what, because it becomes a pain to get a unknowing rep to add it after the fact if its not done from the beginning (not more then a few days ago someone else posted about it not being done correctly and having no success after calling in more then enough times). The "discount" is $10 off for 10 months for both of you, I think.
Dish (or anyone in the sat business for that matter afaik) does no longer allow employees to get on a roof, so the dish has to be installed somewhere a ladder can get to. So, a roof install is fairly unlikely unless necessary. Based on your zip code, your locals will come from Orlando, and the satellites you will get service from will be due south-southeast. So anywhere on your property where there is view of this part of the sky, like mounted on the siding or even a balcony, it can go there. Metal poles are an option, although a last resort after roof. If you have your own pole and are able to convince the tech to use it, the mast must be 1 5/8" OD.
You have to call in for that. You will have your credit run, and told what you are eligible for. If you want something you aren't eligible for, or they are pushing you to something else because "you don't need that much" (In other words, they are low on inventory) I believe you can still get it by asking/paying a fee. (Ex. want a H3 but are offered a H2, you may be able to do a H3 for like $50.)
As a person signing up I'm pretty sure you'll have some pretty good leverage, so it shouldn't be a problem.
You can get this off of dish.com since its the same for the H3 and H2, and is only applicable for the first 2 years, but here it is. Sub total is $105 ($95 with the referral), with the package/equipment you mentioned.
Programing is $90 ($78 Nationals/$12 Locals), minus $5 for autopay, Equipment is $20 ($10 Hopper & $5 per Joey), and whatever state taxes are applicable for FL.

EDIT : I'm really bad at condensing information

TO KAB: Last time I picked up the phone, Dish would not answer squat unless I first gave them my name, SSN and credit card number. Not doing that just to ask questions.

TO ethanlerma: That is a good summary!. Understand about getting on the roof, since I see so many dishes on roof's in my neighborhood, I assume you mean a ladder and placing the dish on the edge of the roof.? or only on the side of the house.? The H3 fee of $50, is a one time fee? Hopper and Joey fee's still 10/5 or is it more for H3. Direction I assume will be 200 Degrees SSW and 45 degree elevation +/-?

Appreciate your response. :bounce

1. Pick whatever Programming Tier you want for your own reasons. I think you are smart enough to know all your MVPD and streaming options. There are still some people who prefer ONE provider and find the never ending new streaming payments and "trade ups" on those streaming services for each part of programming they try to cobble together for the family subscribing to a pretty high number of seperate streaming services or the household wants to be a put-off--Not me necessarily, but I have heard from SEVERAL people about multiple streaming payment fatigue and question both the economics and not having all the programming on ONE PLACE from which to choose such as Electronic Program Guide like Cable, DTV, Dish or TiVo DVR EPG's.

2. IDK if that discount is still offered.

3. Dish has a REFERRAL discount program (I've just never heard of a Family discount) program that allows your son some discount and saves you some money. However, ANY person can refer you to Dish for discounts.

4. A pole type mount is going to cost you EXTRA, and I think only local retailers do those installs, but be ready for a big charge because of the LABOR involved. An install on the roof is usually using the "overhang" (I can't recall the proper name) of the roof as the mount and all of mine over the years have all be sealed tight with no water damage. However, it is better to just leave the mount on the overhang if you no longer need it OR if you don't want to leave the mount on the roof and you are handy, you can do proper seal after you remove the mount. Also, I have seen good quality installs on the fascias for tile roofs and when any part of the roof can not be done--BUT, for it to work well the installer has to do a PROPER job, and in can work, but over time termites can weaken fascias if you don't do spot treatments for termites over the years.

5. IDK, it should be an option, but others can answer this one.

6. $ in detail? You are best to call Dish or a local retailer for such specific information and get a proper number with whatever discounts, etc.

"D" thanks for that info.. #2 My misunderstanding in using "discount", they give extra stuff for "free".? #3 Also for "family" discount, YES REFERRAL :hatsoff

I assume you mean a ladder and placing the dish on the edge of the roof.?
Exactly. Last 3 times a dish was installed on my property, two by installers for Direct by the previous owner and the 3rd for myself for Dish when I moved in, they were all placed on either the roof (2nd and 3rd) or the siding (1st) right next to the utility box for the cable company, where all coax runs into the house. All accessible with a 12ft ladder (or 8ft if I'm feeling brave).
The H3 fee of $50, is a one time fee?
That was an example, but whatever the fee might be (if applicable) it will be one time.
Hopper and Joey fee's still 10/5 or is it more for H3.
H1/H2/H3 is $10 for the first 2 years, $15 afterwards. HoppDuo is $5 first 2 years, $10 after. All Joeys are $5 first 2 (except for the now irrelevant superjoey) and $7 after.
Direction I assume will be 200 Degrees SSW and 45 degree elevation +/-?
www.dishpointer.com is a good source, you would select dish 1000.4 (not the exact one, but close enough). With your zip code you are looking at about 169° SSE, 55° in elevation.

Last edited:
Pole mount seems to be the standard install for both Dish and DirecTV in this area. My daughter and I both had pole mounts for DirecTV several years ago and pole mounts for Dish a few weeks ago, and there was no extra charge for anything, even with different installers.

Reactions: TheKrell
TO: ethanlerma Thanks again for your response and patience.

TO: paulman182 That is good news if the same applies to my location. I have a demark panel in my laundry room and from there, I have coax and ether net runs to all my rooms, doubled up where the Hopper would go. My best guess is that the installer can make all connections to from the demark panel with "ease" :)

I guess it varies; I got a pole mount for no extra charge when I moved my H3/Joey here in 2018. It was a Dish tech & even the facia mount was pretty high. Nice job of locating it out of the way. Dug the hole/set the pole & by the time he ran all the coax & got the receivers unboxed, the quick-dry concrete was good enough for the dish mount & pointing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)