Questions on move from 722 to Hopper

mrhoni

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 21, 2006
My current setup:
Family room - two 722s owned, ethernet cable each to ethernet hub and then the hub attached to airport express. Lots of recordings. Each 722 frequently recording 2 shows at once. Each has an external hard drive attached. One of hard drives has 100+ movies, while 722s themselves are quite full.
Bedroom 1 - 622 leased. Minimal amount DVRd
Bedroom 2 - 622 leased. Minimal amount DVRd
Bedroom 3 - use the TV2 from Bedroom 2

Questions:
Do I need 2 Hopper and 3 Joey?
Does Dish lease these or must I buy them and if buy what will I have to pay Dish?
Hoppers and Joeys work over wifi?
Can the recordings on the 722s be transferred to their respective Hopper?
Can the existing external drives connect to their respective Hopper and the recording on them will still be available?
Can each Hopper be set with different remote addresses so that each can be programmed in and controlled separately with a Harmony remote?

Anything else I should know?
Thanks.

You will definitely save some money switching to hopper! 2 722s and 2 622 is $51+$7 in fees. 2 Hoppers, 3 Joeys is $28+$10 in fees. Dish leases hoppers (you do have the option to buy, but do not save any cash).

Your existing EHD drives should work fine with the Hopper.

The recordings on the 722s/622s will need to be transferred to EHDs before upgrading to the Hopper. Since you say they are all pretty full you may need to buy a couple more EHDs.

Do I need 2 Hopper and 3 Joey?
2 Hoppers and 3 Joeys would give you a total of 6 tuners. 1 tuner = 1 live viewing or recording, so you would be able to watch or record a total of 6 different channels at any time. Note that if multiple receivers are watching your local ABC, CBS, NBC, or FOX channel, anyone else watching one of those channels will use the same tuner.

Hoppers and Joeys work over wifi?
You can connect the Hoppers via WiFi with the USB WiFi adapter. The Dish installer should have one, or you can order one from Dish online. If you get a Hopper with Sling, it has built-in WiFi. Only one Hopper needs to be connected, then you can enable bridge mode to give the Joeys and other Hopper internet over the coax connections.

Yes, you will need to transfer them to an external HD first, then you can transfer them to your new Hoppers.

Can the existing external drives connect to their respective Hopper and the recording on them will still be available?
Yes.

Can each Hopper be set with different remote addresses so that each can be programmed in and controlled separately with a Harmony remote?
You have to enable IR on the Hopper, but I'm not sure if you can have the Harmony control two Hoppers independently. I don't believe there is a way to have two different IR remote addresses with the Hopper.

An as of yet uncorrected software bug would make you wise NOT to transfer everything from your EHD to Hopper.
The problem that arises often is, if you try to play back a recording from a channel you are no longer subscribed to (or recorded during a free preview), it won't play. On the EHD, no problem. So transfer back accordingly.

Last edited:
One caution, if you must "give up" one of the recorders (usually the last in your on-line list) then it will not allow EHD after you call/email to set it up. I had this with 3 recorders 722/722/622. The 622 would not allow removing the last recordings because it was deactivated a couple of days prior to Hopper install.
-Ken

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)