Questions on recording to DVD with a 722

jeff5656

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 3, 2007
I put this in technical, but think it should go here:

I have a few questions before buying a DVD recorder to use with the 722. I want to put things I recorded onto a DVD so I can free up space.
1st, what happens if the program is longer than what the DVD can hold? i.e. can a 3 hour football game fit? I heard DVD's for consumer burning holds less.
2cnd: if I recorded something in High def, will the transfer to DVD be downgraded to SD? How does this happen, does the recorder "know" to put it into SD?
3rd: how do I specifically get this to work? I have a 722. it is connected via HDMI, but there is also a component cable that goes to the back of the TV (I know, redundant and not used). How *exactly* does the DVD recorder connect to the DVR? And after I connect it, how does it work - in other words, to record the program I recorded on the DVR last week, do I have to go to the correct source on my TV (i.e. component vs hdmi) before hitting record on the DVD recorder?

In other words, the DVR has 2 tuners, TV1 and TV2 AND the previously-recorded things. So how will the DVD recorder know what to record? Does it record what is being displayed on my TV? What output in the back of the DVR goes to the DVD recorder? Will I need to unplug something that goes to my TV?

I put this in technical, but think it should go here:

I have a few questions before buying a DVD recorder to use with the 722. I want to put things I recorded onto a DVD so I can free up space.
1st, what happens if the program is longer than what the DVD can hold? i.e. can a 3 hour football game fit? I heard DVD's for consumer burning holds less.
2cnd: if I recorded something in High def, will the transfer to DVD be downgraded to SD? How does this happen, does the recorder "know" to put it into SD?
3rd: how do I specifically get this to work? I have a 722. it is connected via HDMI, but there is also a component cable that goes to the back of the TV (I know, redundant and not used). How *exactly* does the DVD recorder connect to the DVR? And after I connect it, how does it work - in other words, to record the program I recorded on the DVR last week, do I have to go to the correct source on my TV (i.e. component vs hdmi) before hitting record on the DVD recorder?

In other words, the DVR has 2 tuners, TV1 and TV2 AND the previously-recorded things. So how will the DVD recorder know what to record? Does it record what is being displayed on my TV? What output in the back of the DVR goes to the DVD recorder? Will I need to unplug something that goes to my TV?
I will try to answer some of the questions.

#1)what happens if the program is longer than what the DVD can hold? Not completely sure on this one, but I would assume that once time is up, it would stop recording, so you would have to abide by the restrictions on how long the DVDs will record for.

#2)if I recorded something in High def, will the transfer to DVD be downgraded to SD? It will be recorded depending on how your output is set. For instance, my DVD-Recorder has an S-Video Input that we used for recording. Since S-Video is only SD, when something is output to it, even if it were recorded in HD, it would be SD when viewed from this input.

#3)how do I specifically get this to work? It would depend on the inputs that your recorder has. Remember, ALL OUTPUTS on the 722 are active at all times. Therefore, if you turn Modulation on for Tuner 1, you would see Tuner 1 and Tuner 2 through the Coax Output (Home Distribution Port on the 722). You would just need to change the channel on the Recorder to get the correct program.

Also, it WILL be recording whatever is on the screen when you start to record. Therefore, if you have Caller ID setup to come on the screen and someone calls you, when you watch the recording it will show up on their. Also, if you push guide to see what to watch next, it will show up.

Hope that answers all your questions,
Geoff

DVDr has a number of different recording compression settings. On mine I can record 1 hr., 2hr., 4hr. or 8hr. per DVD.

Unless you buy a very expensive DVDr you only choices for input will be s-video or composite. That means your recording will be in SD. But I have found that recording HD content via s-video results in a pretty decent recording.

My Panasonic DVD Recorder has an ATSC tuner. It records in SD, but 16x9. It also upconverts so OTA recordings look pretty decent. I set it to record at a lower resolution to get more on the DVD. I can get 6 or 8 hours on a dual layer DVD-RAM. I haven't tried it from the VIP622 yet.

you can also buy a recorder that works with DVD D/L dual layer which will hold double the amount of video as a regular DVD on each of the different recording lengths,

i have an LG and with D/L discs i can record 4 hours on the 2nd best recording setting (2hrs on regular dvd-r disc)

it will allow upto 16 hours on the longest setting(8hr)but quality suffers alot

It was in the DirecTV forum? It's been in the Dish forum every time I've looked at it. Likewise with the other one you posted the same thing to.

Thanks for the replies. I want to record football games to save, not movies (can always just rent them on netflix). I also may want to record curb your enthusiasm and other random things like that. My question: does anyone know if football has a broadcast flag to prevent me from recording onto the DVD?

Also, what DVD recorder do you all recommend (i.e. one that works with the 722 obviously). I came across the Samsung DVD-VR357 on amazon that seemed to have good reviews.

Since HDMI appears to have been invented soley to lock down content and prevent fair-use backup copying I would likely use the S-port (as others in this thread say) or component. I saw the back of my regular VCR and there is an s OUTPUT, but I assume a dvd recorder would have n S INPUT and the DVR has the S-output right?

Another question: Do I need to get a double layer recorder or are there reasons NOT to get this (other than price).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)