Questions, Questions and More Questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

wherron

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 20, 2006
Hi: I live in the 18327 area code and am looking to get international channels and perhaps, the HD Pack channels from E*. For the international channels, I’m primarily interested in movies, entertainment and sports. I also like the idea of finding wild feeds and just scanning the satellites to see which channels are currently up. I’ve been doing my research, but am unsure of which path to take and was hoping you all could give some advice. Here’s what I’m considering:

Purchase either the CaptiveWorks CW-600S or the Pansat 6000HXC along with a 90cm (35") Dish, STAB HH-90 Rotor and Invacom QPH-031 Quad LNBF.

Subscribe to DishNetwork, DirecTV or GlobeCast for some paid foreign channels. I’m not interested in DishNetwork's or DirecTV's other channels (with the exception of the HDPack on DishNetwork and NFL Sunday Ticket on DirecTV), I’m very happy with my Cable system (probably shouldn’t say that here).

Here are my questions:

1. Can I even get the HDPack if I only subscribe to foreign channels on DishNetwork?

2. Will the dish and LNBF I have listed above be compatible with DishNetwork, DirecTV or GlobeCast?

3. If I go with GlobeCast is it even worth it to purchase the FTA system above or should I just stick with their equipment (I’d prefer to have the ability to scan other satellites, but am not sure how much I’ll be able to get and if it’s worth the extra expense)?

4. Which of these packages of channels is “better” and are there any channels listed that I shouldn’t bother with (yes, I know this is subjective, but I’m looking for opinions from others who have watched these channels just to hear their thoughts):

DishNetwork: Arabic Enhanced Pack, TV5/Trace TV, Set Max, RAI International, Kino Polska, TV Globo Internacional, RTPI, TVCI

GlobeCast: A1 Plus, DUNA TV, EuroNews, Pink / Pink Plus, Romanian Satellite TV Channel 1, Setanta Sports, Tele 5, WORLDVIEW, DFH, ASC Flix, ASC Xtra, KISB

DirecTV: Jadeworld, SBS, TamilDirect, SELECCIÓN EXTRA, RussianDirect, Setanta Sports

5. I’m leaning towards the CaptivaWorks FTA system along with DishNetwork if I can get the HD Channels. Any reason why this wouldn’t be a good idea?

Thanks in advance for the help and for such a great website!

1. Maybe ask in the Dishnotwork area
2/ YES ! Will work for circular and linear satellites!
3/ Globecast receivers do not work with other satellite, says they do but we have never had anyone that has said they have managed it!
4/ Up to you, I would go for Sentanta :)
5/ No opinion

1. If you own the equipment, yes you can. There is a $5 fee for not having the basic package
2. The LNB wil work but I would have a separate dish for DIsh Network/DirecTV
3 & 4. No opinion as I do not speak another language.
5. Captiveworks is a nice unit for the price but no blind scan. I would get the Fortec Classic. That has blind scan to find all the new stuff :)

Thanks for the replies, but of course, your answers raise a couple of additional questions:

1 - Why a separate dish for DishNetwork/DirecTV? And if I used a separate dish for them there would be no need for the Invacom QPH-031 for the FTA dish, correct?

2 - Why the Fortec over the Pansat 6000? I thought someone might suggest the Pansat over the CaptiveWorks, but I wasn't expecting the Fortec suggestion.

Also, why do almost all of the FTA receivers only have RCA or SVideo outputs? What type of picture quality can I expect (I currently have a Samsung 50" Widescreen HDTV)? Why don't the receivers use a better output (HDMI, DVI or at least Component)?

Thanks again.

Last edited:
1/ Some people in your family may get upset if you move the dish and they lose their DBS programing. Other wise one motorized dish and the QPH-031 LNBF will do it ALL.

2/ I have installed MOST of the receivers out there and I still prefer the Fortec over most! They are also GOLD sponsors here :)

FTA picture quality varies A LOT. Some broadcasters are cheap and do not pay for much bandwidth so the picture can be a little like a picture on an older computer. then there are some channels with better quality the the DBS providers!

ok, i have a question, since this thread mentioned DFH ane the other thread that taled about DFH was closed due to hacker cognatation which not what my intentions are,,what specifically is DFH, and what can a legal un-messed with DFH dvb recvr be used for??sub only and from who, what do get?thanks

Also, why do almost all of the FTA receivers only have RCA or SVideo outputs? What type of picture quality can I expect (I currently have a Samsung 50" Widescreen HDTV)? Why don't the receivers use a better output (HDMI, DVI or at least Component)?

Thanks again.
Picture quality varies with different FTA receivers (as has already been mentioned) no current FTA receiver that I am aware of has HDMI or DVI output. Some do have Component, but, there are different opinions as to how good the video quality is. If you are wanting HD programming for your HDTV, you should look into a package from either Dish or Direct TV and use one of their HD receivers. I recently saw a very nice HD demo at a Best Buy that was using a Direct TV HD setup and it was really nice. I was really drooling over the 72" Mitsubishi HD TV it was running on along with a couple of others that did 1920 X 1080P ..........fantastic picture!! ( the 72" Mitsusbishi "only" did 1080p)
I would go for an HD package from one of the two providers I mentioned if it were me. The FTA box is fun for other stuff, but, if you want good HD that's the way to go. Unless, you like playing with a pc. Then you can get a PCI DVB-S Sat Card and watch some really nice HD stuff on PBS HD.
grusome

Most (all?) of those foreign channels on IA-5 are Globecast channels, trouble is some of the ones he may want are scrambled. Thats why he may need the Globecast subscription. Unfortunately, one must use Globecasts receiver (ugh) instead of a standard FTA box with a card slot addon...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)