Quetzsat 1 Moving to 61.5W

nelson61

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
Where it's Warm
SES has notified FCC of additonal testing of Quetzsat 1 and subsequent move to 61.5W

"SES expects to receive instructions from its customer, EchoStar 77 Corporation ("EchoStar"), to relocate the satellite temporarily to 61.5º W.L. and to perform associated testing prior to doing so. At 61.5º W.L, the satellite will provide bridge service pending the delayed launch of EchoStar 16. "

Beam patterns and associated technical data submissions to follow.

Looks like they need to get Echostar 15 into service at 45W (Brazilian Service) soon and need a short term replacement at 61.5W.

So when do they expect to launch echo 16? I would think not for at least a few months if they're moving Quetzsat 1 to that orbital, right?

Present E16 launch schedule is late Nov. Add two more months to test and put into operation. So, a fair guess for E16 in operation is February/March.

rabyf said:
MY NETWORKS ARE RIGTH NOW ON 61.5 WHAT WILL HAPPEN TO THEM DO I WILL NEED TO CHANGE SATS OR WHAT

You do not need to do anything.

It is seamless and normally undetectable to the customer when they substitute satellites

More Details from Echostar Filings: HNSA is Echostar's Hughes Brazilian subsidiary.

EchcStar plans to move QuetzSat-1 to 61.5º W.L. and transfer the traffic from EchoStar15 to QuetzSat-1.This move will free EchoStar 15, which is currently at 61.65º W.L., to move
to 45º W.L. Once EchoStar 16 is launched and tested, EchoStar plans to request that SES move
QuetzSat-1 to 61.65º W.L., and also plans to move EchoStar 16 to 61.5º W.L. Once EchoStar 16 is at 61.5º W.L., EchoStar will transfer the traffic from QuetzSat-1 to EchoStar 16.

EchoStar and Anatel have agreed that HNSA will operate the EchoStar 15 satellite in accordance with Brazil’s Region 2 BSS plan modifications filed for the 44.9º W.L. orbital location during an interim period while HNSA works to construct a satellite for the orbital location, consistent with HNSA’s Brazilian authorization.

:

More Details from Echostar Filings: HNSA is Echostar's Hughes Brazilian subsidiary.

EchcStar plans to move QuetzSat-1 to 61.5º W.L. and transfer the traffic from EchoStar15 to QuetzSat-1.This move will free EchoStar 15, which is currently at 61.65º W.L.,to move

to 45º W.L. Once EchoStar 16 is launched and tested, EchoStar plans to request that SES move
QuetzSat-1 to 61.65º W.L., and also plans to move EchoStar 16 to 61.5º W.L. Once EchoStar 16 is at 61.5º W.L., EchoStar will transfer the traffic from QuetzSat-1 to EchoStar 16.

EchoStar and Anatel have agreed that HNSA will operate the EchoStar 15 satellite in accordance with Brazil’s Region 2 BSS plan modifications filed for the 44.9º W.L. orbital location during an interim period while HNSA works to construct a satellite for the orbital location, consistent with HNSA’s Brazilian authorization.

My question is, if Q1 is moving to 61.5 will it have a good coverage for Puerto Rico since it was not designed like E16 which is postponed till Nov with spots aimed to PR and picked up with a 17" dish. Additionally, when will Q1 be moved or when will it be operational???

dbs2000;2974911 My question is said:
Quetzsat will likely have good coverage for Puerto Rico from 61.5W but has no spots. They intend to start a series of tests next week and have asked to conduct those tests over a 30 day period. They may finish early and then would send it on it's way to 61.5W. They will be filing the technical data required to generate the 61.5W map or footprint when they request a license to operate at 61.5W.

Operational date is a guess, I'd speculate between dec 1 and jan 1. It will be determined by how urgent it is to get E15 into operation for Brazilian service.

Quetzsat 1 61.5 Satmaps

The Satmaps for Quetzsat 1 at 61.5W have been uploaded.

Quetzsat has two Conus type beams which cover North America (excluding parts of Canada).
They can use either beam depending on the longitude the satellite location
Optimal coverage is provided at 77W.

Quetzsat 1 will be in service at 61.5W for the period of time between the departure of Echostar 15 (relocating to 45W) and the arrival of the new Echostar 16 satellite.

http://satmaps.satelliteguys.us/home/quetzsat-1-61-5w-tel

http://satmaps.satelliteguys.us/home/quetzsat-1-61-5w-twl

Attachments

• Quetzsat 1 61.5W North America West.jpg
    Quetzsat 1 61.5W North America West.jpg
    274.3 KB · Views: 355
  • Quetzsat 1 61.5W North America East.jpg
    Quetzsat 1 61.5W North America East.jpg
    267.4 KB · Views: 336

EchcStar plans to move QuetzSat-1 to 61.5º W.L. and transfer the traffic from EchoStar15 to QuetzSat-1.This move will free EchoStar 15, which is currently at 61.65º W.L.,to move

:

From recent FCC filings:
"After traffic transfer (to Echostar 16), the QUESTZAT-1
satellite is planned to be moved elsewhere."

Does anyone know the status of this SAT????. It's being almost a month since testing started. Please say something.:confused::):popcorn

Nothing new. They still have a week remaing on their original test schedule. And, when they finish, they may be ready to move, or may make a minor permit modification request based on the tests (taking more time), or could just let it sit there until they are positive the Echostar 16 launch was successful (late Nov).

Quetzsat 1 - Breaking News!

Quetzsat 1 will begin moving to 61.5W in mid-October (today is Oct 16!).

Quetzsat 1 will arrive at 61.5W at the end of October.

Quetzsat 1 will replace Echostar 15 service at 61.5W approximately 2 weeks after arrival at 61.5W (in service mid November 2012)

Quetzsat 1 will move to it's PERMANENT LOCATION at 77w upon the sucessful launch and operation of Echostar 16 at 61.5W.

Quetzsat 1 FCC Earth Station Filing

Then once they move to 77sat slot, the conus beam locals will move to spotbeam.

Probably:

If I remember correctly, they have something approaching 70 spots on E16. A bunch of them are probably there so they have correct coverage if they use it at different satellite longitude locations. But, it surely is going to eliminate the 61.5W conus locals and probably make a good dent in the 77W conus locals.

I think I remember some posts a while back that they were installing 61.5W/72W dishes on the eastern arc for some customers (no 77w)?

Probably:

If I remember correctly, they have something approaching 70 spots on E16. A bunch of them are probably there so they have correct coverage if they use it at different satellite longitude locations. But, it surely is going to eliminate the 61.5W conus locals and probably make a good dent in the 77W conus locals.

I think I remember some posts a while back that they were installing 61.5W/72W dishes on the eastern arc for some customers (no 77w)?

It makes sense that many Eastern Arc customers don't need the 77 W location since it can never be a fully CONUS slot because of the possible interference with the Canadian slot at 82 W. I remember there was a lot of speculation before its design was released that the Quetzsat-1 satellite would be built with a large number of spotbeams for the U.S. but it wasn't designed with spotbeams. The 32 TPs at 72.7 W and the CONUS TPs on the E-16 satellite should be able to provide enough CONUS TPs for national programming.

Probably:

Because those areas don't have their locals on the 77sat or sub to the Latino pack channels. But if DISH wants to move channels around to the 77 sat from 61.5 or 72.7 , they could always go back adn re-install a triple lnb dish for eastern arc. It wouldn't be the first time that DISH has had to go back and change dishes for certain areas. Remember the days of the locals being split over two separate dishes? Till the FCC ruled against them , DISH had locals split all over the place. Their installs had two dishes in many parts of the country,(1 dish for the big 4 and 1 dish for the lesser channels) if the people in those areas wanted to see all their locals . Then DISH spent a lot of time and money going back to all those dmas to fix those two dish installs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)