Quetzsat 1 Moving to 61.5W

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
So I take it that this sat is already on the move, and that is why when I got my new receiver, hooked it up, and ran a switch check, that 77 isn't detected anymore? I realize it isn't used for anything in my area, but just want to make sure that I don't have something wrong with my dish.

Bent82 said:
So I take it that this sat is already on the move, and that is why when I got my new receiver, hooked it up, and ran a switch check, that 77 isn't detected anymore? I realize it isn't used for anything in my area, but just want to make sure that I don't have something wrong with my dish.

You have the problem. The 77 service is some type of mix from 3 satellites located there. E1,E6,& E8. Nothing has changed that would cause non detect.

To add to what Nelson61 said, I just did a check switch on a new receiver and 77 showed up as normal.

Quetzsat 1 in Transit to 61.5W

Quetzsat 1 has begin it's move to 61.5W.

At approx 9 AM Mountain Daylight, it was at 66.36W

Altitude is 53 KM below GEO Stationary

Moving at average drift of 0.67 degrees days.

Probably going to have some unhappy people in Puerto Rico/VI for a couple of months. E15 and E16 both have similar strong beams for that area but Quetzsat 1 looks like it will not be receivable even with big dishes. I'd guess something like 2 1/2 months with no service for PR/VI from 61.5W starting in mid Nov and then back at full strength when E16 lights up.

Does Dish have authority to operate on all transponders at 61.5, or are 1 and 2 still STA'd? Hmmm. I see that 1 and 2 are still in use. I thought Dish was granted 3-32...

Last edited:
Does Dish have authority to operate on all transponders at 61.5, or are 1 and 2 still STA'd? Hmmm. I see that 1 and 2 are still in use. I thought Dish was granted 3-32...

They keep getting STAs (I think every 6 months they file again). There is no one else with a satellite, much less willing to build/buy one for 2 TPs. But, of course since someone sued the FCC a long time ago they have been unable to come up with rules that would let them sell the TPs to Dish...

TheKrell said:

The two "temporary" transponders were moved to one end of the spectrum to reduce interference in the event those two are ever licensed to someone other than Dish (probably never happen). Then got continuing temp authority to use the 2. So they continue to operate on all 32 transponders.

So they continue to operate on all 32 transponders.

Well... It seems 1 and 2 (which I thought were the current STA transponders) are in use and available to customers. By contrast, 22-25 are not available to customers. If memory serves, the old STA transponders were 23 and 24. So I don't understand why 1 and 2 are available, while the block at 22-25 are not being used (at least for customers at this time).

All illumination welcome!

Probably going to have some unhappy people in Puerto Rico/VI for a couple of months. E15 and E16 both have similar strong beams for that area but Quetzsat 1 looks like it will not be receivable even with big dishes. I'd guess something like 2 1/2 months with no service for PR/VI from 61.5W starting in mid Nov and then back at full strength when E16 lights up.

I thought the plan was to activate it till E16 arrive. Did they just find out Q1 does not cover Puerto Rico??? Right now I am getting average of 80 on 2-4-6-8-10-12-14-21-23-25 & 32. This signal is from E15. Next thing to happen is for E16 to blow up, always something new. Last time the SAT did not reach proper orbit and it was "lost in space. It seems, I hope not, that history will not repeat again, but this is the year 2012 in which anything can happen.

I thought the plan was to activate it till E16 arrive. Did they just find out Q1 does not cover Puerto Rico??? Right now I am getting average of 80 on 2-4-6-8-10-12-14-21-23-25 & 32. This signal is from E15. Next thing to happen is for E16 to blow up, always something new. Last time the SAT did not reach proper orbit and it was "lost in space. It seems, I hope not, that history will not repeat again, but this is the year 2012 in which anything can happen.

The failed Proton/Brize launch last summer set everthing back by about 4 months and they ran out of time to get E16 up and running before moving E15 to Brazil service.
This is reason they are moving Quetzsat to 61.5W and using it there for such a short time (2-3 months). They have to get E15 moved over to 45W and start service pronto.
This one is not a conspiracy, just bad luck.

E16 will be just as powerful as E15 in Puerto Rico.

Quetzsat 1 average drift rate is 0.57 degrees/day, placing it at ~65W right now and at 61.5W by the end of October.

62.9W this morning

May see some Uplink Report slate changes needed for the transponder shuffle sometime next week.

This morning

Quetzsat 1: 61.92W 43KM below GEO
Echostar 3: 61.88W
Echostar 15: 61.83W
Echostar 12: 61.39W

Quetzsat 1 will pass below Echostar 3 & 15 sometime today and then be raised into it's GEO orbit at 61.5W.

Space Command has been issuing daily tracking updates with the last update yesterday.

Quetzsat 1 has arrived at the 61.5W orbital slot. Now they are in the process of raising the elevation to GEO and establishing station keeping at 61.5W +/- 0.05 degrees.

Quetzsat 1 has arrived at the 61.5W orbital slot. Now they are in the process of raising the elevation to GEO and establishing station keeping at 61.5W +/- 0.05 degrees.

interesting read - I really wish they would stick locals of this area on 61.5 along with where they are on 129 - so much easier for people around here to get a EA LOS than WA due to tree's and low elevation of the sats.

interesting read - I really wish they would stick locals of this area on 61.5 along with where they are on 129 - so much easier for people around here to get a EA LOS than WA due to tree's and low elevation of the sats.

It could happen when they finally get their next satellite E16 launched to 61.5 (Russian launch delays). It is going to be a spot beam satellite with more capacity for locals.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)