Quetzsat 1 Successfully Launched!

navychop said:
Well, that's a filing measured in pounds.

What do you mean, "variance?"

DISH previously understood that the cross polarization isolation would fall short of Commission standards only over certain small regions of the United States, and then only to a limit of just over 27 dB. Consistent with this understanding, in its Application, DISH requested a waiver of Sections 25.215 and 25.210(i)(1) of the rules to the extent this limited shortfall required. DISH now asks to amend its Application to request a waiver of Sections 25.215 and 25.210(i)(1) of the rules to permit operation of QuetzSat-1 with the following limits of cross polarization isolation performance:
? West Antenna: 26.5 dB in CONUS; 26.2 dB outside CONUS
? East Antenna: 25.2 dB in CONUS
The above parameters represent the worst-case scenarios of cross-polarization isolation
performance. For most of the transponders providing service over most of the coverage area, performance will meet Commission requirements. It is only certain transponders over certain regions, usually nearer the edges of the coverage region, where cross-polarization isolation will fall below 30 dB, but not below the above limits.

Well, that's a filing measured in pounds.

What do you mean, "variance?"

DISH previously understood that the cross polarization isolation would fall short of Commission standards only over certain small regions of the United States, and then only to a limit of just over 27 dB. Consistent with this understanding, in its Application, DISH requested a waiver of Sections 25.215 and 25.210(i)(1) of the rules to the extent this limited shortfall required. DISH now asks to amend its Application to request a waiver of Sections 25.215 and 25.210(i)(1) of the rules to permit operation of QuetzSat-1 with the following limits of cross polarization isolation performance:
? West Antenna: 26.5 dB in CONUS; 26.2 dB outside CONUS
? East Antenna: 25.2 dB in CONUS
The above parameters represent the worst-case scenarios of cross-polarization isolation
performance. For most of the transponders providing service over most of the coverage area, performance will meet Commission requirements. It is only certain transponders over certain regions, usually nearer the edges of the coverage region, where cross-polarization isolation will fall below 30 dB, but not below the above limits.
Now, aren't you sorry you asked? :D

Sunday Nov 27, 3:33 AM Mountain

Recent News:

1: Anatel (Brazil FCC) awarded Echostar 2 slots but they are being contested. Echostar filed with FCC to move E3 to one of the slots ( 68.5W) to "start discussions with FCC".
So, if Quetzsat moves to 68.5W (one of the awards), it's principle use will be for South American Service.

Update : Echostar withdraws FCC application to move E3 to 68.5W. Looks like they are having trouble firming up their plans.
Echostar 3 68.5W withdrawn - FCC

From Dish 2011 year end 10K; (emphasis added)

"QuetzSat-1. During 2008, we entered into a transponder service agreement with EchoStar expiring in November 2021, which will be accounted for as an operating lease. We will lease 24 DBS transponders on QuetzSat-1 when the satellite is placed into commercial operation at the 77 degree orbital location. QuetzSat-1 was launched on September 29, 2011 and was placed into service during the fourth quarter 2011 at the 67.1 degree orbital location while we and EchoStar explore alternative uses for the QuetzSat-1 satellite. In the interim, EchoStar is providing us with alternate capacity at the 77 degree orbital location. See Note 20 in the Notes to our Consolidated Financial Statements in Item 15 of this Annual Report on Form 10-K."

Many people was hoping that this satellite would bring more channels and packaging options in Dish Mexico, but it seems that they've found a cash cow and don't have the need to offer something better. 16 HD channels for 180 pesos :mad: what do you think?

The launch of the E-16 satellite in the summer is a few months earlier than what has been previously reported i.e., fourth quarter 2012. This is probably why Dish is moving the HD programming off of 61.5 W because they need more TPs for spotbeams at that location. At this point it has to be assumed that the QuetzSat-1 satellite is going to be moved to 77 W.

Hmmm. It all seems unnecessarily secretive. And with plans to install EA dishes with no reception from 77, it would seem 77 is just for Mexico. Nothing for PR, I assume.

They are up to something. Might see it actually go to 77W. Directv recently had a flurry of filings for a new FSS satellite that they say is needed to expand Mexico service (their Sky partner). Echostar/MVS only has 8 transponders at 77W and are raising hell with the Sky market with pricing and would surely like more capacity to compete. Whatever it is, they are sure keeping their plans under wraps.

Hmmm. It all seems unnecessarily secretive. And with plans to install EA dishes with no reception from 77, it would seem 77 is just for Mexico. Nothing for PR, I assume.

I had suggested a year or so ago that Dish could offer an EA dish without reception of 77 W for markets that don't have their locals coming from 77 W. There was never a real possibility of 77 W being used for national programming because of the limitations related to interference in Canada and its 82 W slot. What was surprising was that the QuetzSat-1 satellite was designed without spotbeams because of its limited use in the U.S. for locals. If as expected the QuetzSat-1 satellite is used at 77 W, it will only be used for locals in the U.S.

So far the only locals on 77 are conus. Why create a new satellite for 77 and not add spotbeams ? Seems like a waste of the satellite bandwith. OF course they did move off of 61.5 ALL hd conus channels. Maybe they will move the dmas on 77 to 61.5 since they are conus anyway.

Quetzat 1 moves to 45W for Brazil Service

EchoStar has made their decision. Quetzsat 1 will be moving to 45W where their Hughes subsidiary will use it to provide new DBS service to Brazil. There will be no USA service from that location. EchoStar indicates that this is an interim location and that Quetzsat may be used at another location after the launch of EchoStar 16 frees up additional satellite capacity which could be used at 45W. EchoStar Quetzsat FCC Brazil

EchoStar has made their decision. Quetzsat 1 will be moving to 45W where their Hughes subsidiary will use it to provide new DBS service to Brazil. There will be no USA service from that location. EchoStar indicates that this is an interim location and that Quetzsat may be used at another location after the launch of EchoStar 16 frees up additional satellite capacity which could be used at 45W. EchoStar Quetzsat FCC Brazil
Well that's nice.:rolleyes: Was hoping for them to use Quetzsat to launch some HD locals for the markets that don't have any yet. Now I guess we'll have to wait for Echo 16 to launch this summer in order for that to happen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts