Quick mini Genie question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

fordt

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2014
Comfort, TX
This is it, Dish has cut off NBC in my area and I'm probably outa here going to Direct TV. One quick question, my current Dish setup has the hopper inside and I can move the Joey to my shop (125' away in a metal building). My home wifi network can be aimed toward the shop and my Joey picks up the signal thru a wired USB dongle which sits protected from the elements outside the metal shop envelope. Then the USB plugs into the Joey and I have TV out there. Will the mini Genie work the same way or will I have to somehow get a hard wire over there?

This is it, Dish has cut off NBC in my area and I'm probably outa here going to Direct TV. One quick question, my current Dish setup has the hopper inside and I can move the Joey to my shop (125' away in a metal building). My home wifi network can be aimed toward the shop and my Joey picks up the signal thru a wired USB dongle which sits protected from the elements outside the metal shop envelope. Then the USB plugs into the Joey and I have TV out there. Will the mini Genie work the same way or will I have to somehow get a hard wire over there?
The DirecTV wireless Genie mini does *not* use any wifi capabilities that you may or may not have on premises. In fact, this is why DirecTV is particularly stingy (in a good way) of charging for professional installation of a wireless video bridge that is directly connected to the coaxial cable as a part of a SWiM device topology.

What actually happens is that the wireless video bridge is physically inserted on the same coaxial cable that is ran to the Genie DVR device.

Therefore, DirecTV does not rely in any way on your wifi in order to communicate wirelessly between the Genie DVR and the wireless Genie Mini.

Soooo...how does this get TV out to my shop wirelessly? The house is stucco (essentially a wire mesh cage) with a metal roof trying to get a signal into a metal building 125' away....pardon my lack of tech savvy!

Soooo...how does this get TV out to my shop wirelessly? The house is stucco (essentially a wire mesh cage) with a metal roof trying to get a signal into a metal building 125' away....pardon my lack of tech savvy!
The only wireless portion of the wireless Genie mini is the actual TV signal; you'll still have to provide the actual power cord and HDMI cable to the actual television set and mini device itself.

As far as range is concerned, that's something you'd probably either have to discuss with DirecTV, per se, or perhaps someone else here can vouch for length of transmission. I know we've never had an issue going across and to a different floor in a 2,500 square foot house.

I hope that helps!

Thanks! I reckon we'll see if and when the installer gets here, just seemed like a lot of metal between the house and the shop!

i can say with 100% certianty, it will not work wirelessly. you will have to run a wire out there for a mini. and the installer will probably charge you to bury it that far.

Bummer, I guess that's one thing Dish has over Direct, but I reckon I can bury one eventually....at least I'll have local national channels that aren't "turned off" because one rich company is arguing with another one....

With the wifi I have in the shop, will a Vulkano unit working thru a laptop put Direct tv out there?

i can say with 100% certianty, it will not work wirelessly. you will have to run a wire out there for a mini. and the installer will probably charge you to bury it that far.
Not true, You do not need a coax for a C41w.
Directv would install a Wireless Video Bridge.
That communicates with the Genie, and The Mini communicates with the Bridge.
But range is limited.

But range is limited.
Not true what??? You are right that the C41W does not need coax, the Wireless Video Bridge does however, and as Zashel posted, I can also CONFIRMED that a C41W will NOT work at 125' from the Wireless Video Bridge, this is a fact! The most you can get from a Wireless Video Bridge to a C41W is 75 feet in wide open air, put metal in between and now you are looking at 30 feet in range.

But range is limited.

Except, he's right. The C41W won't work because it's too far. 80' from is the maximum through "standard" obstacles, such as drywall. A metal building? The signal won't penetrate even at 60'.

Reactions: Troch77
Not true what??? You are right that the C41W does not need coax, the Wireless Video Bridge does however, and as Zashel posted, I can also CONFIRMED that a C41W will NOT work at 125' from the Wireless Video Bridge, this is a fact! The most you can get from a Wireless Video Bridge to a C41W is 75 feet in wide open air, put metal in between and now you are looking at 30 feet in range.
Yes I apologize, I took it as he meant the Client needed a coax ran, because it's not really wireless.

So Yes from a Range stand point only.
Not from a Functional stand point of a wireless client.

Coax is cheap, I just bought 1000 feet of solid copper core coax for $75.
It even says Directv on it.
So why not just run the cable your own self?

It's hard to know what the range is unless you try it.

All the directv video bridge is, is a wireless access point similar to standard wireless router.

In theory it's a better design than dish because it's using its own dedicated network rather than the customers wireless equipment.

Well, the theory may be better, but my network reaches the shop with Dish just through a dongle that connects to the Dish Joey......if my new Direct TV doesn't reach out there on its own network, burying coax sure ain't easier. But I think I can probably "sling" it over there, I have a friend with a Vulkano Flow unit, I'll test it out from this location over wifi.....

Do you want whole home out there? Is that the issue?
Because you can always put up another dish on your Garage.

No, i just want to sit in the mancave and watch football for hours....yup, i could put another dish up, but then that entails buying another receiver? (and maybe ANOTHER monthly fee added in?), and that may be what i eventually have to do unless I decide to trench a coax out there. But I live in the land of 6" soil on top of lots of solid rock...so that ain't much fun! Just trying to come up with a wireless solution like the soon to be gone Dish equipment has.....

The cheapest way is to Run your own wire.
As far as monthly Fees , it's no different. Your charged per Genie Mini, Just the same as your charged per Joey.
You can have 10 satellite dishes running to 10 separate receivers, it doesn't change the monthly fees.

Directv and Dish also don't Bury the cable anymore then 3 inches.
I also live in nothing but rocks and stone.

My Rental apartments have 3 inch deep coax in the ground for over 5 years without issue. It's just regular Directv approved 3G Hz R6 .
Key is don't put it in pipe, Unless you can be 100% sure it will not leak.

You don't need to put it 36 inches in the ground lol.
It's not a Power or water line that needs to be below frost line . Lol

Well, just talked to DTV about adding another receiver out there with another dish, but that would make me set up another account with all the applicable fees...so that don's save me any...I reckon either Vulkano or Sling might be the only way to get TV in the mancave....well, short of digging and burying coax, and that ain't really the problem, it's getting outside of the stucco house envelope and down to the ground with an 8' concrete porch surrounding the house! The things we put up with to save a buck..(or 50/mo)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)