Quick multiswitch question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

tester239

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 27, 2008
The quick part:

If an input port on a multi-switch is not plugged into an LNB (say, the 13v one is disconnected, and the 18v is connected to an LNB) - will this cause physical damage to the multi-switch, or will it operate normally?

The extra info:

My scenario: I have a corotor with a C-band LNB and a Ku-band LNB.. and they are single output, and operate at 15-24v. I want to be able to have multiple receivers hooked up to them but they (obviously) don't do polarity voltage switching.. so I would only use the 18v ports on my multi-switch which would essentially make it a 22Khz switch between bands.

There are some obvious polarity issues that will arise, but I'm not really intending to use multiple receivers AT ONCE, just don't want to keep plugging and unplugging crap when I want to use a different box.

If this isn't possible - could I just take an extra dummy LNB I have laying around and hook up to the unused inputs? I really want to make use of the 8 ports on the free switch I was given :) [read: How many tuner cards can I hook up at once :p ]

P.S. - other than this question, the tutorial on multi-switches in this forum was awesome! Many thanks to the author(s)!

If an input port on a multi-switch is not plugged into an LNB ... - will this cause physical damage to the multi-switch, or will it operate normally?
Shouldn't cause any problems.
I have a corotor with a C-band LNB and a Ku-band LNB.. and they are single output, and operate at 15-24v.
I want to be able to have multiple receivers hooked up to them ...
... I'm not really intending to use multiple receivers AT ONCE, just don't want to keep plugging and unplugging crap when I want to use a different box.
You obviously have a good understanding of the limitations of trying to run multiple receivers, and will proceed wisely.
It sounds like a workable solution.
... the tutorial on multi-switches in this forum was awesome! Many thanks to the author(s)!
That was a lot of give 'n take in a long development thread.
It was based on many published discussions on the forum, over several years.
Then, Iceberg (our moderator) extracted just the meat of the thread to make the FAQ.
On behalf of all involved, thanks for the kind words! - :cool:

it wont cause any issues by not having a port plugged in. I use to have a bandstacked C-Band LNB plugged into the 13v of a 4x4 switch. I capped the 18v port. No issues

DirecTV when a customer had a 2nd dish at 72.5 (for locals) or 95 (for Int'l) the 18v +22k side was used only. the 13v +22k port was empty

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts