quick question about switch video

JamesJ

AKA Stuart628
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jul 21, 2004
Akron (Cleveland), Oh
hey guys, I have had time warner for the last I dont know couple months, and I have been reading about them switching to Switch Video ( sorta like all the channels except maybe top 20 watched moved to an on demand kinda thing) I am having trouble knowing what all this is about and how it will work (on my end not techinical aspects of it) if anyone would care to explain this to me and others I would apperciate it!

please unmove my thread back to chit chat club, as I believe Switched Video is not going to be time warner specific but something that all cable companies will have to look into, and it is not a certain thing about cable I am asking about but a process in what they do. Also chit chat club will give me a better chance at getting this question answered. thank you

It's pretty easy...

Verizon Communications is already testing (prepaing to...) this method in several markets. It is exactly as you described, but forget the "Top 20" stuff. Everything will be an on-demand stream. Every show that a network has to offer would be available for you to pause, fast forward, rewind, and summon at your bidding, without the use of a DVR. Now, one could watch "live" programming, that would basically be the time that a network, like Discovery, first makes a show available. I'll get back to this column with the link to Verizon's service so you can read more about it. They are taking a balls-to-the-wall approach by bringing fiber optic right up to one's house, and delivering uber-bandwidth so that these streams will be possible.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)