Quick questions about DishDVR software

peepoop

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 12, 2004
I just upgraded to a 722 from a Series2 Tivo. It has been a rough transition.

Is there any way for me to view a single channel's upcoming programming for the next few days *without* pulling up the guide and hitting the Right button about a hundred times? Tivo had two different guide views, and one of which made this very easy. I could just hit page down to view the next eight hours at a time.

On my 722 I spent a long time putting together a favorite channels list using TV1. This list apparently doesn't carry over to TV2. Is there a way to make it so? Or do I have to write down all the channels I've selected then run upstairs to TV2 and manually enter them all over again?

Is there any way to have the 722 notify me when new channels become available? You're all a swell bunch of guys I'm sure, but I shouldn't have to check a third-party website every day just to find out if there's any new programming available.

Is there any way for me to view a single channel's upcoming programming for the next few days *without* pulling up the guide and hitting the Right button about a hundred times? Tivo had two different guide views, and one of which made this very easy. I could just hit page down to view the next eight hours at a time.
Here are two separate hints I can offer, and they probably can be used together but I hadn't thought about that until now. :)

1. In the guide, you can press the skip-forward (30-second/commercial skip) button to go ahead one day at a time. Conversely, you can press the skip-backward (10-second back button) to go back one day at a time.

2. During regular TV viewing (not in the guide or any menu) you can press the right arrow button to bring up a somewhat unobtrusive version of the guide information for the channel you are viewing, overlayed on the video. Once in that mode, you can navigate with left/right (through time) and up/down (through channels) and I think you can type in channel numbers. Pressing the Cancel button (and "View TV" will probably work) will exit this mode.

So, maybe try hint (2) and while in that mode try hint (1). :)

On my 722 I spent a long time putting together a favorite channels list using TV1. This list apparently doesn't carry over to TV2. Is there a way to make it so? Or do I have to write down all the channels I've selected then run upstairs to TV2 and manually enter them all over again?
Unfortunately, I don't think you can do this. I've wanted to be able to do that easily too.

Is there any way to have the 722 notify me when new channels become available? You're all a swell bunch of guys I'm sure, but I shouldn't have to check a third-party website every day just to find out if there's any new programming available.
Another unfortunate no, as far as I am aware. I love that idea though. :)

Is there any way for me to view a single channel's upcoming programming for the next few days *without* pulling up the guide and hitting the Right button about a hundred times?

Use the Browse button (to the right of Select) to browse programming for a single channel without opening the programming guide.

In the programming guide, use the Skip Forward button (the one with the curved arrow to the right) to skip forward 24 hours at a time.

On my 722 I spent a long time putting together a favorite channels list using TV1. This list apparently doesn't carry over to TV2. Is there a way to make it so?

TV1 and TV2 settings are independent of one another.

Is there any way to have the 722 notify me when new channels become available?

Not that I'm aware of.

One thing I also do in the guide is type a number then Left or Right (say 72 for instance) to go 72 hours forward or back. On the 625 this will only work if there is not a real channel that is represented by the number you select (otherwise you will switch to that channel in the guide.)

Good point, I forgot about that one. :) The automatic jumping in their modern receivers is a little irritating at times. The 921 guide doesn't "realize" you've typed a valid channel, until you either press Select or until a small timeout (~2 seconds) has expired. This way, typing a number in the guide is not ambiguous.

Good point, I forgot about that one. :) The automatic jumping in their modern receivers is a little irritating at times. The 921 guide doesn't "realize" you've typed a valid channel, until you either press Select or until a small timeout (~2 seconds) has expired. This way, typing a number in the guide is not ambiguous.

Ya....the only thing I like about my 508 over the 625 (beyond it being a grandfathered DVR) is that I can type 168 then right to go to the same spot in the guide next week. With the 625 I hit 96 + R + 72 + R :)

Like a secret code in a Nintendo game...lol.

Set your display for extended view with video, i.e., 3 hours. Set up your favorites with 7 14 or 21 channels consecutive, 21 is good for HD that I might watch. Go to the top of them in the guide. Scan and inspect or select programs of interest. Use page up/down to shift your view by 7 programs once or twice. Press 3 (hours) and right arrow and look at the next group. Reverse paging. Repeat.

You could go through in the other direction but it takes more pushes--3 right repeated and then page down and 3 hours backward at a time on the new channels.

Alternatively for evening programming. Select your (selected) locals and 7 or 8 PM. Use the skip forward key to go to the next day. You can quickly scan the whole week ahead.

For those that can get by without the current show displaying you can get more channels at a time.

For finding new HD channels, select HD guide and page down until you find something new.

-Ken

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts