quick questions about ps3 & hdtv

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

hbk409

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jan 12, 2005
LI,NY
Im at my sisters house and they have had the ps3 since the beginning of January, I just came down to Florida, noticed 1) they did not have it connecting to the internet so set it up to connect wirelessly took about 30mins to download v 1.60 on comcast cable modem. 2)going today to upgrade the connections to the tv they are using the standard av cables. Question thier tv has component and a dvi connection should i get and hdmi to dvi cable and and optical audio cable or component cables? their tv does not do 1080p so is there any advantage over component? Also would connecting a cat 5 cable to the ps3 from the router give me quicker downloads?

Well, I don't have a ps3, but the downloads being slow I think is affecting everyone and has very little to do with the connection. Many people I see report it being much faster to download, burn a disc and load it that way. Wireless can be slower at times, but I doubt their cable modem is faster than their wireless setup.

Connection wise, it becomes a taste issue of what pic they like more, component or dvi/hdmi. either way you'll need an optical cable. If you do go HDMI to DVI cable route, don't go buy one in a store and pay their high prices. I personally use Monoprice.com for my cables, but there are many other good quality cables on the web for much less than you'll ever find in best buy/CC type stores.

Well, I don't have a ps3, but the downloads being slow I think is affecting everyone and has very little to do with the connection. Many people I see report it being much faster to download, burn a disc and load it that way. Wireless can be slower at times, but I doubt their cable modem is faster than their wireless setup.

Connection wise, it becomes a taste issue of what pic they like more, component or dvi/hdmi. either way you'll need an optical cable. If you do go HDMI to DVI cable route, don't go buy one in a store and pay their high prices. I personally use Monoprice.com for my cables, but there are many other good quality cables on the web for much less than you'll ever find in best buy/CC type stores.

we were going to get it from costco for like 22 it might not be as cheap as monoprice but my sister had a 6.1 system I hooked up for them last easter when I came down they had painters come in to paint the room that disconnected the system a month later and waited until now when I came back to and I said what happened to the surround sound and they they told me that they havent had it since the painters, so I had to rehook everything up for them.

The PS3 won't upconvert SD DVDs, so there is no benefit to HDMI over component. However, if you are playing Blu-Ray and they turn on the ICT, component will be limited resolution. So for now, either is fine, but in the future you might need HDMI.

On my TV (Hitachi 51" CRT RP), I can't tell much difference between the two.

-John

alright so i got a hdmi to dvi cable and when i plug it in im just getting colored snow i tried it on the hdmi setting in the set up

alright so i got a hdmi to dvi cable and when i plug it in im just getting colored snow i tried it on the hdmi setting in the set up

In that case, your sister's tv probably doesn't support HDCP. You'll need to go ahead an get the component cables.

nope it does, stupid me the hdmi cable wasnt click all the way in on the ps3 push it in heard a click tried againg everything works excellent now, major improvement.

can you have the audio come out of both the optical and the rca, the reason being is there are times were they will not want to play games using the surrond sound and just use the tv speakers?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)