Quick wiring question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Aridon

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 29, 2007
Wiring a custom RV. I want to make sure I don't screw this up.

I currently have:

Outside

AC power
3 RG6 drops

All those terminate to a wall plates in a network / wire cabinet. From there I can connect them to whatever (other TV's, receivers etc.)

Now If I connect 1 of those outside drops to the SWM to get the signal in the rig. Can I then use a multi switch or some kind of splitter to send that signal to multiple boxes inside from that one wire?

or

Can I run one wire into the rv from the dish and put the SWM in the network closet and do what I want from there with the signal?

I have no clue how SWM works obviously :p or how many wires I need from the dish to it or out of it.

I know I have 3 drops outside but I wanted to keep 1 for cable modem and 1 for regular cable or something. I can add more which is why I'm asking this.

THank you.

Last edited:
What are you wanting for Your Dish, and receiver... Normally RVs are a 18inch dish with D12 Recevier.... Just basic TV...

Need a little clarification,
By "drops" do you mean places where coax can be attached to your RV? The term "drop" is actually a cable concept..........they run a main trunk past all the addresses and splice off runs (drops) to each house bond for installation by others.

Other clarifications & hints = RVs are famous for internal splitters. These must be identified, brought up to spec or bypassed.

The SWM Single Wire Multiswitch is located as a component in the end of the arm with the LNB. A single cable runs from it to the rest of the system: DISH / SWM....cable run with ground wire to ground block. Beyond that there can be a splitter and a power inserter (PI). Beyond that are receivers (IRDs) or Geni & Clients.

"Now If I connect 1 of those outside drops to the SWM to get the signal in the rig. ................SEE ABOVE note on splitters..........

Can I then use a multi switch or some kind of splitter to send that signal to multiple boxes inside from that one wire?" ..........YES if all other considerations are correct

You need to use a dish with a SWM component.

Questions?

Joe

let me see if I get this right.

Single wire coming off the dish for all lnbs

This connects to my rg6 that then allows me to send signal to x number of receivers via switch special splitter.

My biggest issue is I just want to be sure there will only be one wire from the dish to the rv that can feed 3tv's once I get it in the rv.

Correct?

There won't be any splitters in the way everything terminates on a wall in a closet and is a straight run I can then connect stuff how I want. All rg6, cat6 and hdmi in one spot

Last edited:
What are you wanting for Your Dish, and receiver... Normally RVs are a 18inch dish with D12 Recevier.... Just basic TV...

Not really. Even our 08 mh has a 5 lnb dish automatic dish. That one uses a multi switch so I'm not familiar with swm.

The new fifth wheel will have 100% custom wiring like a new home with a network closet so we can have things exactly like we want them. All straight wire runs I'm just not familiar with swm setups and not sure how many wires enter the house from the outside which is why I want to know how many rg6 outlets I need out there.

let me see if I get this right.

Single wire coming off the dish for all lnbs

This connects to my rg6 that then allows me to send signal to x number of receivers via switch special splitter.

My biggest issue is I just want to be sure there will only be one wire from the dish to the rv that can feed 3tv's once I get it in the rv.

Correct?

There won't be any splitters in the way everything terminates on a wall in a closet and is a straight run I can then connect stuff how I want. All rg6, cat6 and hdmi in one spot

Close,
LNB = Low Noise Blockdown Converter.............it is located on the end of the dish arm.......and........... the SWM = Single Wire Multi Switch........ also is on the dish arm with the single wire running to receivers.

Therefore the single wire from the dish could run directly to one receiver OR a splitter (DirecTV approved w/green lable & powered by a PI (Power Inserter). The Power Inserter needs 120 AC. You would need to substitute whatever splitter is in your RV for an approved splitter to serve your cable runs.

Having done that you will have your 3 TVs running....and a spare port, I think a four port splitter is the closest size you can get. This will allow HD reception. IF you want to run an HDDVR you will need to run two lines to serve two tuners in the HDDVR.

Then there is the GENIE & client wifi solution. Someone with recent experience should guide you with that.

That is many TVs in an RV. Think headphones!

Joe

Can I run one wire into the rv from the dish and put the SWM in the network closet and do what I want from there with the signal?
All of the SWiM switchgear is built into the LNB assembly on the dish. The other part (that you seem to think is the SWM) is the power supply for the dish assembly. There should be a model designation of PI-21 on the box.

You can put the splitter and the PI in a closet and send cables out from there to each receiver/DVR.

It is best not to plan on how you're going to make everything look nice until after you've figured out how to get the system up and running.

Makes perfect sense. Thank you very much for educating me on it. Appreciate it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts