Quiet Cases for PCI-DVB HTPC???

Status
Please reply by conversation.

greyskies

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 16, 2004
sunny South Florida
Have my htpc running, but, no matter what steps I have taken to get it quiet, still have fan noise and whooshing sound of air being moved by fans (CPU Fan, Graphics Card Fan, etc.). I am presently using a Thermaltake Tenor HTPC Case, but it does not deaden any noise, as it sounds the same whether I have the metal case cover on or detached.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to truly deaden the sound from this htpc? It is in the master bedroom, and my wife is a little annoyed by the constant noise when I am watching shows on the satellite dish, as opposed to her cablevision based shows. But, she is not the only one, as it does get a little annoying when I am trying to watch tv at night, and know that she wants to get some shut-eye.

Look forward to hearing what pc cases everyone is using, and hope that there is a quiet solution for this issue.

greyskies in sunny South Florida

Check out www.Quietpc.com they've got a few thing that can help.

I'm using
Arctic Cooling Super Silent 4Pro L for the CPU
Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer for the video card
This helped reduce the noise and improved cooling even on the lowest setting (VGA).
For the Power Supply I already had an Antec TruePower 430.

The absolute best would be Water cooling - I wanna try it but I keep invisioning a tiny drop of water destroying my rig.

Thanks for your quick input. At this time, I am solely looking to buy a new case, as the existing case is useless when it comes to noise dampening issues.

As for the cooling suggestions, my new heatsink and fan are much quieter than the stock fan that came with the P4, and I have an ATI silencer on my Radeon PCI-express graphics card, which had also helped reduce noise. However, still have a large pushed air sound from the air being moved by fans. Note, the case fans are pretty quiet as they are ball bearing fans, and the power supply fan is nearly inaudible, as a variable resistor controls its fan.

Would appreciate anyone's experience with a quiet case. All that being said, I will check out the website you had recommended, right now.

greyskies in sunny South Florida

Last edited:
I'm pretty happy with my Antec Sonata case. It's not silent, but it's quieter than any other system I've owned.

Status
Please reply by conversation.