Quincy Broadcasting still trying to buy Granite...tries new way

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
Looks like Quincy is still trying to buy Granite.....even after 18 months of FCC holdups. So now they are trying a new way. I'll let northpine give the details

Quincy Newspapers intends to move the Duluth CBS affiliation to a subchannel of NBC affiliate KBJR/6 (Superior-Duluth) if the FCC approves Quincy's purchase of KBJR, according to a recent amendment to the proposed sale. KDLH/3 (Duluth), which has carried CBS since 1955 has been run by KBJR since 2005, would become a primary CW affiliate owned and operated by SagamoreHill Broadcasting.

The new plan is the second change to Quincy's efforts to buy KBJR from Granite Broadcasting, along with satellite KRII/11 (Chisholm) and stations in the Peoria, Fort Wayne, and Binghamton markets. A month after the original deal was filed last year, the FCC approved new rules on joint sales agreements (JSA's) that ban agreements like the current KBJR-KDLH setup. In light of the new rules, Quincy and Granite modified their original deal late last year to remove SagamoreHill as a buyer of KDLH and WPTA/21 (Fort Wayne), with plans for Malara Broadcast Group to retain ownership of the stations and have Quincy assume Granite's agreement to run them. But the FCC had still not acted on the license transfer applications, and Quincy withdrew an application associated with the second plan last week.

Under the new plan, which the parties say comes "after consultations with Media Bureau staff and in response to concerns raised by the staff," operations would continue as they currently exist for nine months after closing. After nine months, the Duluth CBS affiliation would move to a KBJR subchannel and SagamoreHill would assume day-to-day operations of CW affiliate KDLH with its own management, operations, and sales staffs. KBJR would retain its MyNetworkTV subchannel in addition to its NBC affiliation.

Elsewhere, Quincy would move Fort Wayne's NBC and MNT affiliations to subchannels of ABC affiliate WPTA, and the current Fort Wayne NBC affiliate (WISE-TV/27) would become a CW affiliate owned by SagamoreHill. The document does not specify whether Quincy will retain more than one affiliation in Peoria, where the Granite station currently operates two other stations that will establish their own sales forces. The Binghamton station has no JSA.

Even if the stations were not being sold, the new FCC rules would require the existing JSA's to be unwound by the end of next year, unless the rules are overturned by Congress or the courts.

Attachments

• exhibit_1434647162.pdf
    44 KB · Views: 537
Well with the way Gray and Sinclair do this in the markets they buy, figured Quincy would try the same route. So if the FCC approves it, they have 9 months to figure it out to become 2 separate entities

Duluth would see CBS move from 3-1 to 6-3 (assume in HD) and CW move from 3-2 to 3-1 (which would make it in HD)
Ft Wayne would see NBC and My move from 33-1 & 33-2 to 21-2 & 21-3. CW would move from 21-2 to 33-1. The Wx station unknown

One thing that is interesting is this..."SagamoreHill would assume day-to-day operations of CW affiliate KDLH with its own management, operations, and sales staffs"
While this may sound fine and dandy the CW in these cases are just the CW plus. Thats the national CW feed that smaller markets have. So basically other than local commercial insert, the station is already 100% run and in other markets where CW Plus is (like Helena Montana until recently) they only need one person to run it.
Would anything else be added? Highly unlikely. All both markets would gain is the CW in HD

one thing I noticed is this

The CBS program stream currently associated with KDLH will be moved from
KDLH to KBJR-TV and satellite station KRII. KBJR-TV and KRII will also
retain their NBC Network and MyNetworkTV affiliations.

Technically KRII already has CBS on it ;) When KRII went digital they threw all 4 Granite/Malara nets on it. (previously CBS was on low powered translators in the area)
11-1 NBC HD (KBJR)
11-2 CW (KDLH-DT2)
11-3 CBS SD (KDLH)
11-9 MY9 (KBJR-DT2)

You don't think Quincy would add H&I, Movies!, and Decades to KDLH CW when all the movement settles in....
I cant wait till it all finishes up and takes place...Hopefully it wont turn out a mess like the KLAF/KADN situation......but I think it will be ok.....

Its going to be a mess in fort wayne market lot of people are going to be complaining about this.
Yes Sir I am afraid it will. Not only on the OTA level but with the cable companies as well. When Nexstar launched NBC on our MNTV Channel on July 1 alot of people were ok but in a matter of 12 days WVLA and KPLC went off the air and alot of people west of lafayette, louisiana were highly upset and some still are. Whenever it happens next year I hope it goes smoothly for you and the rest of your market area......

Yes Sir I am afraid it will. Not only on the OTA level but with the cable companies as well. When Nexstar launched NBC on our MNTV Channel on July 1 alot of people were ok but in a matter of 12 days WVLA and KPLC went off the air and alot of people west of lafayette, louisiana were highly upset and some still are. Whenever it happens next year I hope it goes smoothly for you and the rest of your market area......

Different situation. You gained a network affiliate locally which changed the rules for cable. When a network station is local, they have the right to claim exclusive to that area. WVLA dropping was due to the local NBC (as you know its the same owner so they dont care). I'm sure the new NBC (or more likely Nexstar) asked for exclusive in the Lafayette area. Thats why KPLC was dropped.

All that is happening in Dans (and my old) market is a station is moving from one RF station to another (in Dan's case 2 stations are switching RF stations). Since in most cases cable gets a fibre feed for the networks it doesnt matter what RF station it is OTA. Cable gets it directly. It would only affect OTA viewers.

Approved by the FCC. Quincy has 9 months to get rid of one station in 2 markets (which has been documented above)

Attachments

• document.pdf
    1,017 KB · Views: 220
hell you will GAIN something...CW in HD
Not to be ugly Iceburg but the something he gains in HD has basically turned into nothing. For most of us the cw and mntv have turned from popular to waste of channel space. I think this is backasswards that stations in smaller markets add cw on the .1 when most are putting it as a subchannel. Just my opinion like it matters. Quincy fixing to make a blooper. Now yall know I'm no TV expert neither

Iceburg since were on this major network going as a subchannel of the other. For example, KADN/KLAF is owned by Quincy and they buy KLFY from Media General. Quincy decides to put klfy as a subchannel of kadn. What happens to the employees of KLFY since all that has to move to KADN's building. Asking because I do not know.

Iceburg since were on this major network going as a subchannel of the other. For example, KADN/KLAF is owned by Quincy and they buy KLFY from Media General. Quincy decides to put klfy as a subchannel of kadn. What happens to the employees of KLFY since all that has to move to KADN's building. Asking because I do not know.
Lets not talk about hypothetical situations that probably wont happen. Nextsr owns KADN, not Quincy ;)
And we've already discussed this ad nauseam about hypothetical situations.

The only reason stations move to subs is to get around the FCC rules of you cant own more than 1 of the big 4 in a market. In the case above KBJR & KDLH have been housed in the same building for over 10 years now (same as in Ft Wayne).

Not to be ugly Iceburg but the something he gains in HD has basically turned into nothing. For most of us the cw and mntv have turned from popular to waste of channel space.
There are people who enjoy the CW programming and in another thread when Dish added a HD feed folks in that area were happy.
Note CW has a PLUS feed that is programmed 24/7 by the CW that smaller markets get. What is on there is different than my CW here in Minneapolis and probably different than what you get

I think this is backasswards that stations in smaller markets add cw on the .1 when most are putting it as a subchannel.
Whats the other option? Close down the station? Sell the station as auction bait? 51 million bucks as starting price aint too bad ;)

Quincy fixing to make a blooper.
no they are not. They have to do something to please the FCC so they can buy Granite. The FCC says you can't own more than one of the Big 4 networks in the smaller markets (less than 8 full power stations). So to please the FCC they (Quincy) said they will move CBS to a sub of the NBC in Duluth and in Ft Wayne they will move NBC to a sub of ABC. No law says you can't have more than one of the Big 4 on a RF station. Thats why small markets are doing this. So once they move CBS over what are their options?
-move CW to a -1 and make it HD which right now it isn't
-moving it to a -1 gives it MUST CARRY in the market. Now while most of the market does have CW already on cable and both Directv and Dish carry it as a "good will gesture" Must carry gives them the advantage that if they reach an agreement they HAVE to carry it. ALso it gives CW in HD to the market. While you may not like the programming or not is irrelevant. Most folks want their networks in HD.
-close the station down which would leave the market with no CW or worse CW AND CBS in SD. Thats what they do right now OTA on KRII which is in the northern part of the Duluth market called the "Iron Range". They get 4 stations on RF11 (KRII)
11-1 NBC HD
11-2 CW SD
11-3 CBS SD
11-9 MY SD

(ABC & PBS are there too on digital...FOX is still analog but has apps to upgrade)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)