R15 DVR vs. TiVo...And the winner is???

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

HBKbiggestfan

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 16, 2006
After posting a few posts here about D* DVRs, now i would like to get the bottom line on which is the absolute best-The 100 hour DIRECTV R15 DVR or the 70 hour DIRECTV DVR w/TiVo? I have heard many negative comments about the R15, but it still seems most D* customers on the forum have one and use it. So after all the advatages and disadvatages in both systems, what is better PERIOD. I want only people who feel they are truly qualified to answer to post their choice here. Give me your reasons and feelings on both DVRs (if you want). Or just say flat-out which one is better (In your opinions) Thanks again.:up

I like the interactive features, Caller ID and channel display of the DVR. I had a TIVO in the past, and with the future features, I think the DVR will be the way to go over TIVO...The only feature I miss with TIVO is the ability to spell out a show and find out when its going to be on.

Well so far TiVo is ahead. If I wanted to cancel my R15 order (to be installed Tuesday) and replace with a D* DVR w/TiVo (70hour-the whole reason im changing is because i want more record time from 35 hours) would it even be possible? Could i still somehow get a TiVo from D*? Im calling retention to find out. Anyone ever tried this?

Just called retention. I asked if there was any way I could get a TiVo still from D*. I was told only through a retailer. I mentioned to her that I wanted to keep TiVo because I like the TiVo service and that I wasn't sure about DIRECTV Plus. She told me "I love my R15, it works great, it has all the features you could ask for that TiVo has and more- instant replay, 100 hours recording, pause, 90 minutes to rewind, live TV buffer"...ETC...She went on and on about how "great" it is and "better" than TiVo.. She was trying way too hard to sell how great the R15 is (i don't know if i believe she even has an R15 like she claims)...I could barely keep myself from laughing. Then I said it sounds good and all, but that I wanted to keep my TiVo service active for my TiVo reciever because I still want to record with it and use the features (without having to pay another $5.99/month-one TiVo payment and one DIRECTV Plus payment/month) She assured me that I will still have full functionability of my TiVo and everything it does, and will only have to pay ONE $5.99/month charge. So she says they will still both record and function for me for the one $5.99 charge. I was under the impression that I would have to forfiet my TiVo service to avoid paying a second charge every month. I was also told in another forum by getting the R15 I would have to keep my TiVo subscription as a well as the D* Plus service. Who the heck is right and who the heck is lying? (I would say who the H E Double Hockey Sticks is right, but it is Sunday, the Holy Sabbath) :)

Last edited:
Future features are not a consideration. If that were the case, I'd STILL be waiting for NBR on my old 508. I've got 4 Tivos and bought the R15 to try it out. Tivo wins hands down. Caller ID and interactive features don't make up for the more reliable, easier to use Tivo.

I will still have both TiVo and the R15. So in case my R15 fails me, the TiVo will back-up my important recordings. That is if I only truly have to pay one DVR charge for both to work???

Well I guess some people make up stuff. thanks for the truth, unless you are lying too...:confused: j/k, you have been very reliable since i joined SG Forums. :)

I like the R-15 better

I had the Tivo and I now have the R-15.I like it better because of more room interactive features and its upgradeable .I dont have any problems with it I guess im lucky.

My biggest grevances with the R15 have to do with the cumbersome remote and the very poor transport controls. FF, REW and skip back are not at all consistent. There is no 30 second. skip either. I prefer a DVR that DVRs well. The TIVO does just that.

R15 for me. Have not had one problem. Never has missed a show, never has had a repeat. I'm suprized because I have 13 Series Links. Besides, it's a LOT faster than my HD TiVo.

directvfreak said:
R15 for me. Have not had one problem. Never has missed a show, never has had a repeat. I'm suprized because I have 13 Series Links. Besides, it's a LOT faster than my HD TiVo.

When did you get your R15? Maybe it all depends on the time you got it.
And to that last guy, D* TiVo doesn't have a 30 second skip feature either.

satjay said:
I like the interactive features, Caller ID and channel display of the DVR. I had a TIVO in the past, and with the future features, I think the DVR will be the way to go over TIVO...The only feature I miss with TIVO is the ability to spell out a show and find out when its going to be on.

I have had mine for a few months, DVR is good!!

directvfreak said:

My R10 is a lot faster than my HD TiVo also-almost anything, including a land tortoise, is faster than an HD TiVo. The R10 is lightning fast. I can make lunch in the time it takes my HD TiVo to decide to record a new show.

There may be many reasons to choose the D* machine over the R10 TiVo, but speed ain't one of 'em. Both are much faster than any previous D* recorder.

HBKbiggestfan said:
When did you get your R15? Maybe it all depends on the time you got it.
And to that last guy, D* TiVo doesn't have a 30 second skip feature either.
What's his name here again...Select, Play, Select, 30, Select. Turns the skip to next tick into 30 second skip.

WOW, I NEVER KNEW THAT!!! Thanks for the tip, glad im still keeping my TiVo as well. Any other secret TiVo tips? That one is NOT in the manual.

I just did the same thing, except with pause and it chimed 3 times. What is different?---I guess that one made the Play banner disappear much quicker.

Last edited:
maybe not a fair comparision, but I have an R15 and an H10-250...

I can't stand the TVIO 250, super slow, and I hate how it automatically records stuff I don't want. The remote is clunky and I can turn it off unless I use a universal remote. Also I miss having caller ID.

So if you compare the H10-250 TIVO and the R15, I'll take the R15 anyday, of couse minus the HD support.

Status
Please reply by conversation.