R15- locals only on one line/ movies only on the other

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cjar107013

Original poster
Jan 11, 2008
The title pretty much sums up my problem. With the line-ins in one configuration I only get local channels. With the line-ins switched I only get the movie channels(HBO,MAX, etc). I moved the tv and did some rewiring of the Directv coaxial cables a week ago. Everything worked fine. I don't think my wiring would cause me to lose all basic cable channels. I'm at wit's end here. Is this my wiring or something else? Like: the R15, the dish, the big splicing deal all the cables connect to outside. Any help would be appreciated since the wife blames me for the rewiring.

Did you take out a multiswitch? Are your locals on a second dish (two dishes on the roof)

Give us some more details as to what you rewired?

Multiswitch is still there (that's the big splicing deal I mentioned in the first post, I couldn't remember the name). There is only one dish.
About two months ago I moved the tv to the other side of the room. Instead of running the coax under the carpet I put in a new outlet and re ran the coax under the floor (I have a nice-sized crawl space). I shortened the coax by cutting it to length (which conviently removed several dog-chewwed sections) and attaching new ends with a coax cutting/crimping kit I got at HD. Everything worked.
Fast forward to a week or so ago. I lost the signal on the second line going to the R15. It turns out that there was another section of wire that the dog had messed with on the second line. I cut that section out and installed a new end. That leads us to my current problem. The dog hasn't got to the coax, it's all in the wall.

My guess would be that when you made your connections, you got some braid wrapped around the center conductor. I would carefully recheck every connection, and make sure that you have all four cables going into the multiswitch.

Here's some wrap-up. I checked connections and wiring, all ok. I called Directv's tech support and the helpful lady walked me through some tests. I had an even/odd transponder problem. The evens were good, the odds bad. She said it was the receiver, the wires or the multiswitch. I checked the wiring again, still good. I checked the multiswitch, it looked good. There were two extra output ports on the multiswitch so I switched the cables two those ports and it's all working now.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)