R16/R22

Status
Please reply by conversation.
The R16 will work with a stacked system, but I think your question was really "does the R16 have an internal de-stacker or do I need a separate one" and I don't know the answer to that, unfortunately.
The question about the R22 is a simple question with a complex answer. First, as far as I know, the R22 does not have an internal destacker. Second, from a technical point of view the R22 will work with an external destacker. The problem is that the R22 is really designed for people in areas of the country that get their SD locals from one of the new DirecTV10/11 satellites, or who are in an area currently served by 72.5 (which will be migrating to 99/103 soon). So if your SD locals are (or will soon be) on 99/103, you can't use a destacker with the R22, because you won't see the SD locals, the destacker won't give you 99/103 signals at all. If on the other hand your locals are from the 101 satellite, and you have an R22, that should work fine with a destacker.

The R16 will work with a stacked system, but I think your question was really "does the R16 have an internal de-stacker or do I need a separate one" and I don't know the answer to that, unfortunately.
The question about the R22 is a simple question with a complex answer. First, as far as I know, the R22 does not have an internal destacker. Second, from a technical point of view the R22 will work with an external destacker. The problem is that the R22 is really designed for people in areas of the country that get their SD locals from one of the new DirecTV10/11 satellites, or who are in an area currently served by 72.5 (which will be migrating to 99/103 soon). So if your SD locals are (or will soon be) on 99/103, you can't use a destacker with the R22, because you won't see the SD locals, the destacker won't give you 99/103 signals at all. If on the other hand your locals are from the 101 satellite, and you have an R22, that should work fine with a destacker.

Well while I don't totally know the answer.I do know when I got my R22-100 this was going to be a great DVR 200 hour recording,MPEG2/MPEG4,has the first aired guide like the HRxx's,30 second skip.An SD DVR with the features of it's HD cousin.It will receive updates along with the HRxxs.Access VOD,MediaShare SWM compatiable.;)

And now being offered for lease by DirecTV and Best Buy for all DirecTV SD subscribers.It's a good day for DirecTV DVR subscribers.:D

Well while I don't totally know the answer.I do know when I got my R22-100 this was going to be a great DVR 200 hour recording,MPEG2/MPEG4,has the first aired guide like the HRxx's,30 second skip.An SD DVR with the features of it's HD cousin.It will receive updates along with the HRxxs.Access VOD,MediaShare SWM compatiable.;)

And now being offered for lease by DirecTV and Best Buy for all DirecTV SD subscribers.It's a good day for DirecTV DVR subscribers.:D

Yes, the R22 is an excellent idea. It is basically an HR21 without HD. I was just making the point that an R22 is not going to deliver SD locals in MPEG-4 from an MDU using stacking, because a stacked system won't deliver ANYTHING from 99/103 which is where the MPEG-4 SD locals are. So the fact it has MPEG-4 capability is not relevant right now unless you are in one of the few areas of the country that has MPEG-4 SD locals, and are NOT using stacking.

Thanks for the additional info. Yes, my question was really "does the R16 have an internal de-stacker or do I need a separate one?"

Our locals are on 101, so no concerns about stacking there. :)

Thanks for the additional info. Yes, my question was really "does the R16 have an internal de-stacker or do I need a separate one?"

Our locals are on 101, so no concerns about stacking there. :)

Good deal!.:)

Hope you don't mind apologize for going off the beaten track.But I'd like to push this thread a little further.

It would seem to me that the R16 and R22 being SWM compatiable would basically be the same or a little different because of SWM it would seem that there has to be a way to adapt it for a stacker/destacker because that's what SWM technology does right brings all the channels down a single cable?.:confused:

Found this thread more info on SWM.;)

http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv-forum/146288-understanding-swm-i-think-i-got.html

Last edited:
Good deal!.:)

Hope you don't mind apologize for going off the beaten track.But I'd like to push this thread a little further.

It would seem to me that the R16 and R22 being SWM compatiable would basically be the same or a little different because of SWM it would seem that there has to be a way to adapt it for a stacker/destacker because that's what SWM technology does right brings all the channels down a single cable?.:confused:

Found this thread more info on SWM.;)

http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv-forum/146288-understanding-swm-i-think-i-got.html

The stacking technology in older MDUs (multidwelling units) is different from the SWM and completely incompatible. A basic MDU system just takes the odd transponders and the even transponders from the 101 satellite and changes the frequency of one set (I can't remember which one off-hand) so they can be put on the same cable. The destacker just makes sure that whichever set of transponders the receiver wants are available on the correct frequencies.
The SWM is much cleverer that that. It has eight channels at different frequencies. When an SWM-compatible tuner wants a particular transponder, it sends a message to the SWM saying" please send me this transponder". The SWM then replies and tell the tuner in which of the eight SWM channels it is putting the transponder the tuner has asked for.
And the tuner then tunes into that SWM channel to get the requested transponder.

The stacking technology in older MDUs (multidwelling units) is different from the SWM and completely incompatible. A basic MDU system just takes the odd transponders and the even transponders from the 101 satellite and changes the frequency of one set (I can't remember which one off-hand) so they can be put on the same cable. The destacker just makes sure that whichever set of transponders the receiver wants are available on the correct frequencies.
The SWM is much cleverer that that. It has eight channels at different frequencies. When an SWM-compatible tuner wants a particular transponder, it sends a message to the SWM saying" please send me this transponder". The SWM then replies and tell the tuner in which of the eight SWM channels it is putting the transponder the tuner has asked for.
And the tuner then tunes into that SWM channel to get the requested transponder.

It is even more clever than that. If none of the SWM channels is tuned to the desired transponder, it will tune one of them to the correct frequency.

It is even more clever than that. If none of the SWM channels is tuned to the desired transponder, it will tune one of them to the correct frequency.
Bob, I think that is what I said...isn't it??

Thanks Texasbrit.:)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts