Status
Please reply by conversation.

Lars_G

Original poster
Aug 17, 2013
Venezuela
Hello Group.

Writting here from Venezuela.

I have a LR16/300 (Latinamerican version of the R16), and two simpler decoders home, I have a oval antena with the LNB connected to an active switch to feed the 4 outputs (2 for the DVR, 1 for each normal decoder).

The trouble is I have very few (onyl one really) feasible installation points for the antena, and the line of sight is not %100 perfect for it. So the MOST signal I've been able to squeeze for the DVR is from 79% to 84% depending on the transponder (that's the signal range).

My trouble is, this doesn't seem to be enough for finishing the software upgrades that directv eventually pushes to the dvr (right now they're trying to push my version 1030 to 1036). And when a new upgrade cycle comes, I am left unable to use my DVR at all, until I can unhook it, and give it to a friend who then when he has the time, takes it to his dad's home where there's better signal, to let the upgrade run.

This is infuriating.

As I said I think I've squeezed the last ounce of signal out of my install as it is (I've aligned as best as I can, and the top I manage is the %79 to %84 range), i've jumped/skipped the active switch for the DVR, I've moved the dvr to the balcony and used short well crimped cables. Etc.

So now I am wondering, would a signal amplifier work here at all? maybe help squeeze the last ounce of signal needed to get the updates thorough? or are they useless? And if one would work, what brand and model would you recommend as best? btw I guess the spot to put one if it works is between the LNB and the switch, will these amplifiers let the polarization selector voltage thorough to the LNB?

Thank you a lot for any feedback.... Lars.

Btw, would it KILL Directv (not that the latinamerican one is worth too much either, service wise) to provide upgrade binaries that are loadable via pen drive? I know the regular user would baffle at that, but I'm more than willing and capable, and it'd solve my troubles.

An amplifier is almost certainly not going to help, because it won't improve signal quality. For the delivery of the digital data for new firmware, it's the quality that matters. The signal would be amplified, but so would the noise level. But I am surprised you have this issue with 79+ signal levels.

Yes I'm surprised it fails myself :(, and yes what you say makes sense, what I need is a better signal to noise ratio. Sigh.

Is there any code that should work on R16 decoders (I've tried the 02468 code at all points while reset, does nothing, at any point). To force it to do an upgrade... via the phone line? instead of starting the upgrade when forced by the satellite signal, and trying to get the firmware from it?

No, the satellite is the only source of the firmware.
What's stopping you getting a better signal?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts