r22 component cabling

Status
Please reply by conversation.

pinhead8864

Original poster
Jun 7, 2006
just put in a r22 to replace an r15. up and running no problem but to make switching between components easier I wanted to use the component hookup to my home theater reciever and allow it to do the switching to the tv. however, when I use the component connections on the sat reciever the picture is all over the place. if I use s-video the picture is fine. yes, I bypassed the reciever and that isn't it, I used known good cables off of my dvd. the tv is a standard def panasonic tau. any suggestions? will the component connections only put out 720 or 1080? I called support and they had no answers. I'd really like to use the component cables, is it possible? thanks!

Does the TV have component inputs? Or do you really mean composite?
Component uses red/green/blue for video, where composite uses the yellow.

it does have component input, and I am using rgb cabling and connections. I want to hook it up that way so my dvd and the sat reciever both go into the theater reciever with one component output to the tv, then all I have to do to switch is toggle dvd and video 1 on the theater reciever. but the picture on the tv is unviewable using component cables from the sat reciever.

What is the TV make & model? The A/V receiver make & model? Not all "component IN" on TVs and A/V units are the same. What resolution is your DirecTV receiver output to?

Some of the home theatre systems just don't do a good job of passing through multiple signals. Remove the home theatre & hook up the satellite receiver directly to the TV using your component connections. If the picture is fine you know your home theatre is messing things up. If forced to compromise, I'd use component for the sat & S/vid for the dvd. You can also purchase a component splitter (Terk) & feed both Sat/Dvd into the TV that way.

Yep, and some A/V units don't even provide ANY video conversion techniques. Its all one type or another; all s-vid OR all component OR all composite.

already bypassed the theater reciever and took cables straight from the sat reciever to the tv component input. the front of the sat reciever is set on 480p and when hooked up with component cables I can't change it to anything else. I'm assuming that the 'res' button is for doing that? . the tv is a panasonic tau CT-32SX12 if I remember correctly, and the reciever is an onkyo TX-SR503

haven't seen that part of the setup, it is set for 4:3 and I didn't see any choices for resolution. this is just a standard def setup....

ok, if I understand what you're saying... the component output on the sat reciever is 480p and the tv is 480i so they aren't going to match, and that is where the picture going everywhere is coming from. correct?

than mystery solved and I'll just use the s-video. I was being lazy and trying to cut the switching of things by one click... you guys are great, thanks for the help! guess this tv is just a little old maybe...

Charp,

If he goes into the Sat Menu & only selects 480i (as available resolution) I would think he could then feed his component into the A/V receiver & then into the TV with no problems. Not really gaining anything here but at least he's back to one cable.

True that; was simply highlighting that the TV was the main issue; but you are correct. Considering the s-vid is a one cable solution I just though he would rather stay with that and maybe switch his DVD player over to s-vid. He should still be able to use the switching capabilities of the A/V unit even with s-vid. I know my Yamaha units would back in the day and I am thinking this Onkyo should be a more advanced and up to date unit.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)