Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
Well its been 24 hours since I swapped my R15 for a R22 that I bought online off EBay....DAMN what a difference! Now I know why folks said get a R22 when I signed up

big differences I noticed
-R22 can do 30 second skip....R15 cannot. only the 30sec slip which annoyed me. The 30sec skip rocks
-R22 when on sports channel even after hitting exit to disable the red button thing runs smooth when hitting guide...R15 would be sluggish
-R22 the guide is much smoother in general than the R15 which seems to be sluggish regardless of the channel you are on
-R22 search is so much better. They show "new" episodes in the guide...R15 doesn't. They show no episodes as "first run".
-R22 fast forward/rewind is much smoother and doesnt "hiccup" or "stutter" like the R15 does
-R22 has HDMI connection...R15 didnt ;)

this one is big for me......Searching for sports on the R22 is 100x better. I sometimes like to record the Twins games. On the R15 if I searched for "Twins" I only got the road games to show. I guess it didnt search for in the program name..only the beginning. The R22 will search for all games which rocks!

I do have 2 drawbacks of the R22....one is no RF out. I have a cable that ran to the bedroom if I wanted to watch in there. Guess I'll have to pull out and use a RF converter :)
When changing channel the screen goes grey (R15 was black)...minor issue

But I had a couple questions
-I see this on demand thing...assume I have to hook it up to the internet via ethernet right? If so does it cost anything to use?
-Once in a while I may hit buttons too quick and it says "press down to start doubleplay"...what is that?

1) The On Demand part as a ton of free programs on it. There are also some pay ones. Personally I really like the On Demand as I can catch some of the cable shows that I have missed.

2) Doubleplay is their version of Dual Live Buffers. This allows you to swap between channels and keep the recording buffer for each show.

1) The On Demand part as a ton of free programs on it. There are also some pay ones. Personally I really like the On Demand as I can catch some of the cable shows that I have missed.
so in other words I should run an Ethernet cable to it from my router ;)

2) Doubleplay is their version of Dual Live Buffers. This allows you to swap between channels and keep the recording buffer for each show.
oh sweet....gotta try that. That will come in handy when flipping between the hockey game and other shows :):D

-I see this on demand thing...assume I have to hook it up to the internet via ethernet right? If so does it cost anything to use?
-Once in a while I may hit buttons too quick and it says "press down to start doubleplay"...what is that?
Some ON demand is Free and some cost money. You should still look into it.:up
Double play is when you can switch back and forth between 2 channels and never miss a thing. You can just rewind or pause just like its a recording, except its live tv.

I guess I can put on my project list to run an Ethernet cable from the D* receiver to my router...a 75-80 foot run...thank goodness I have a 100 foot cable :)

iceburg, use an old vcr and set up rf that way :) I love the 22's, I got lucky and got 2 when we we got hooked up, even though I have a 23 in the living room, 1 extra box I turned on the hd, shoot, its faster than the 23 :) I should switch them :)

another neat feature of the R22 that the R15 didnt have

When you want to record a live sports event the R22 pops up with "this live program may run long" and gives you the option to default the DVR to record 30 minutes more (or an hour) ;)

The R15 took 2 steps
-record the program
-go into recordings and edit the time to stop

I have a R22 and I have HD enabled on it. I personally think it is better than my HR series. It seems faster and responds better.

hey I didnt know about the 9 picture thingy when you press the up button...gotta try that out later ;)

well I got the ethernet cable run today and hooked it up. Ran the check and it recognized it :)

so now it says I have to wait 24 hours but we'll try it earlier ;)

I'm starting to like this Video on Demand...only drawback is it has to download to the receiver and my internet is only 1.5MB so it takes a while

Maybe set it to queue a bunch of stuff tonight :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)