Radio Shack closing up to 700 stores.

I have four Radio Shack's and the Super Wal-Mart's within 7 miles of my house and yet I can't even get DSL. Anyway, they have a Radio Shack at the local mall and another one right across the street in another shopping complex. As much as I like electronic gadgetry, I could never see the logic behind this move. One of them should close their doors.

Radio Shack

Granted, they do carry the odd electrical part that you need once in a blue moon, but Joe Public will buy at Wal-Mart and electronics people can buy online for less. Just like drive-thru photo labs, this chain has served its purpose and will fade away.

dougruss said:
I knew as soon as they started selling "Monster Cable" products, it would be just a matter of time !! :D

Not only that, but when I went to my local Radio Shack the last two times, they told me that the item i wanted was no longer manufactured and or carried by them. And this was the Radio Shack brand of product!!

Being an ex rat Shack employee, I’m not surprised.

Radio Shack use to have a real good franchise thing, but Corporate bought up a lot of those stores. Or they opened a corporate store down the road from the Franchise store.

Yes they do have some good stuff, but the prices are outrageous on some items. As noted above, if I want electronics, I’ll go to Wal-Mart, Target, Best Buy, etc.

We have 5 or 6 Rat Shacks within 10-11 miles from my house. Heck there is one a block from my house. Too bad it looks like a dump. Another one of their flaws is signing leases for WAY too long. The one near my house is in a mall that has gone downhill about 7 or 8 years ago..yet rat Shack is still there.

I can think of 4 or 5 in the vicinity of my house (within 30 miles) that are in malls that are basically dead.

Hopefully they close a couple near me and have a clearance sale (they try to get rid of a lot of stuff and ship the high markup stuff to other stores)

We have one Radio Shack which has had numerous owners the past few years with none of the owners knowing anything about anything yet claiming they know it all and never having what you need. I always wind up shopping online because we have few stores in this area. I always TRY to buy local.....but can't find what I need.

Small parts, parts, and parts again.

This is all i use the Shack for. Anytime i attempted anything bigger i got horrific quality.

I want the Shack to survive because i am a gadget freak and constantly have projects.

Their expensive, dont have the greatest quality, and do not carry a lot of the things you REALLY need. One is better off going online. I seen on some sites online that you should go to a REAL electronics store to get the part since RatShack didnt have it.

Overpriced and Clueless In-Store employees lead to this closings.
Looks like I will be hunting for Going outta business sales... yeepee.

BTW: Who needs RS when All Electronics in Van Nuys, CA kills them with their low prices.

If you are in Socal, then you know all about All Electronics.

Iceberg said:
Yes they do have some good stuff, but the prices are outrageous on some items. As noted above, if I want electronics, I’ll go to Wal-Mart, Target, Best Buy, etc. )

Yeah, I know what you mean. I went in to Rat Shack to buy 2 diplexors for my off-air antenna, and they were $24 each, and they were the crappy RCA's. Home depot sells the same ones for like $8 a piece. No wonder why they are closing so many stores.

Same here. What irked me that recently I went there to get a cable that used to be $3.99. Found out it was discontinued and replaced by one made by Mon$ter which was way overpriced at $34.99. Rat Shack has done it's time.

dougruss said:
I knew as soon as they started selling "Monster Cable" products, it would be just a matter of time !! :D

They used to have a market niche. Lost it when they gave up the electronics geek in order to sell second rate consumer goods for premium prices.

I am a partner in a small engineering firm. Occasionaly need some component. RS is 2 miles away. Nearest supply house is 20 miles. Nearest GOOD supply house is 60 miles. I will still try the RS as it is on the way, but I generally only hit about 25% of the time. I'm not talking exotic stuff either. A common resistor, a fuse, 28 gauge wire. That sort of stuff. And some of this is stuff that connects their garbage together. Last month I tried to get an adapter from 1/8" stereo to 1/4" mono. Simply couldn't do it and had to buy sockets and plugs and roll my own. Basically, they don't have the stuff their traditional customers need and the stuff they do have is better and cheaper at WalMart, not to mention BB.

Radio Shacks' demise IMO is when their main goal IMO was when they wanted to push cell phones.

Roger said:
Radio Shacks' demise IMO is when their main goal IMO was when they wanted to push cell phones.

I totally agree! I used to love Radio Shack back the way they were in the 80s and early to mid 90s.

It's funny that this story was today because I went into one this afternoon to buy some leds and diodes for a project I'm working on.

I found out they don't carry 3mm size LEDS anymore :(
They are a common part!

Anyway, when I was ready to pay for my items, the sales person asked about my cellphone service and I told her I wasn't interested in talking about what I had. I just wanted to buy the parts and get back home because I was on a time deadline.

She said she was required by corporate to make a note with each sale the reason why a cellphone wasn't sold also.

I told her I already had one and that's my reason. I told her I was in a hurry and didn't have time to discuss it any further.

Then she started arguing with me saying how their cellphones were better and that I needed to buy one today.

I had to ask her to just ring up my parts 4 times before she would drop it.

She knew I was in a hurry but yet she pulled the high pressure sales crap anyway. Between this and them not having the basic parts they used to carry, I don't think I will be going into a Radio Shack again.

Iceberg said:
Being an ex rat Shack employee, I’m not surprised.

Yes they do have some good stuff, but the prices are outrageous on some items. As noted above, if I want electronics, I’ll go to Wal-Mart, Target, Best Buy, etc.

Good point Iceberg. No question that some of their items are way overpriced. I recently went to RS to buy a extender for a USB port.....it was 24.99. I bought it but then went home and went on ebay and saw the same wire for 3.99 with 2 bucks shipping. So, I went back to RS and returned it. The guy asked me if anything was wrong with it.....I told him the truth. The only thing I like about RS is that you can return almost anything. But with some of their prices....it's really not surprising to me.

riffjim4069 said:
I have four Radio Shack's and the Super Wal-Mart's within 7 miles of my house and yet I can't even get DSL. Anyway, they have a Radio Shack at the local mall and another one right across the street in another shopping complex. As much as I like electronic gadgetry, I could never see the logic behind this move. One of them should close their doors.

i never understood having two radio shacks right next to either. my guess is that the mall locations will stay open.

Bad Week For CEO Dave Edmondson. He got caught lying on his resume. He never got the college degree he said he got.

He is also facing trial on a charge of driving while intoxicated.

RadioShack CEO admits 'misstatements'

RadioShack CEO admits 'misstatements'In a statement, Dave Edmondson apologizes to the board and employees.
The full article will be available on the Web for a limited time:
http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/business/13886160.htm
(c) 2006 Star-Telegram and wire service sources. All Rights Reserved.

Last edited:
They went from being a electronic supply store to a gadget peddler. I used to go to their stores often to buy phone jacks, cables etc.
Then all of a sudden their prices were 3 times higher than other stores.
I stopped going there.