Radio Shack closing up to 700 stores.

Sad Day For Radio Shack

I knew it was going down hill when they Discontinued all the Ham Radio Gear. The HTX 202 and Htx 404 were great radio's. And specialty things like the Vu-210Xr antenna as well as Htx 202 and 404's are relics of the past. The only things I have bought there in the last few years was a couple of scanners. Maybe by closing down some stores they will come back stronger and hopefully with new lines of products.

I think Radio Shack should reinvent itself by focusing more on parts and services. They should reduce the number of commission sales droids, and hire actual experts, pay them what they're worth, and not require the experts to sell all sorts of ancillary junk.

Then, they should market themselves to today's busy consumer who either doesn't have the time or the expertise to fix any of their newfangled electronics. It would also make sense to allow those who do have the time & expertise to buy the parts (which would need to be kept available in the store for service personnel).

They should also shorten the name to RS, and below that, a new slogan: "Real Service. Right Now." or just "Real Service" if they want.

jegrant said:
I think Radio Shack should reinvent itself by focusing more on parts and services. They should reduce the number of commission sales droids, and hire actual experts, pay them what they're worth, and not require the experts to sell all sorts of ancillary junk.

Then, they should market themselves to today's busy consumer who either doesn't have the time or the expertise to fix any of their newfangled electronics. It would also make sense to allow those who do have the time & expertise to buy the parts (which would need to be kept available in the store for service personnel).

They should also shorten the name to RS, and below that, a new slogan: "Real Service. Right Now." or just "Real Service" if they want.
Chucky should hire you - it seems to me you've got more business sense than his entire staff. :up :cool:

jegrant said:
They should reduce the number of commission sales droids, and hire actual experts, pay them what they're worth, and not require the experts to sell all sorts of ancillary junk.

RadioShack is in the process of rolling out new pay plans for both managers and associates. Under the new plan, only store managers will make sales spiffs. The sales associates will lose their spiffs in return for a higher hourly wage. This provides the sales associates with a predictable paycheck.

On a side note, RadioShack has completely whored themselves out to the wireless providers (Sprint/Nextel, Verizon in the past, and now Cingular). Cingular replaced Verizon because Cingular offered to throw even more goodies at RS than Verizon. Trust me, Verizon was taking pretty good care of them in the first place. But that's business I guess. You should see how the Sprint & Verizon and now Sprint & Cingular spoil RS rotten trying to get the upper hand in mind share. It really is quite funny.

I remember, about 15 years ago, that was the place to go for answers! The employees knew a lot!! All those guys seem to have vanished to be replaced by teenagers.

Now, they just look stupid. EX:I neededne cable connector for a friend; I was out of town and did not have my tools with me. The guy tried to explain that gold-plated coaxial connecters would give a much better picture.

Yes, I knew they were going downhill when I saw that "gold" crap there!

miguelaqui said:
Yes, I knew they were going downhill when I saw that "gold" crap there!

When I installed my first Dish system about 1996, I thought I'd save myself the trouble of putting coax connectors on by buying a few prebuilt cables that totaled the required length from Radio Shack. A few years later, my dish quits working, and I discover that apparently Radio Shack dislikes assembling coax as much as I do, because the connectors turned out to be screw-ons! And yes, they also rusted through the gold.

iceondsom said:
RadioShack is in the process of rolling out new pay plans for both managers and associates. Under the new plan, only store managers will make sales spiffs. The sales associates will lose their spiffs in return for a higher hourly wage. This provides the sales associates with a predictable paycheck.

On a side note, RadioShack has completely whored themselves out to the wireless providers (Sprint/Nextel, Verizon in the past, and now Cingular). Cingular replaced Verizon because Cingular offered to throw even more goodies at RS than Verizon. Trust me, Verizon was taking pretty good care of them in the first place. But that's business I guess. You should see how the Sprint & Verizon and now Sprint & Cingular spoil RS rotten trying to get the upper hand in mind share. It really is quite funny.

You have it backwards, Managers get no spiff and associates get a hire wage + spiffs + a different type of commission. Unless it is different in your part of the country.

RS: neither down nor out

First. the new pay plan will give the workers better pay if they make comission.
(and if they don't, they should look for a job elsewhere ;) )
Secondly, they dropped Verizon due to too many charge-backs. Millions of dollars.
We'll see what happens with Cingular.

Thirty-five or forty years ago, RS wasn't a significant force.
There was competition in their arena, and they were just one of many.
Over the years, they drove everyone else out of business: Lafayette, Olson, et al.

Yea, my impression of most RS employees is that they know little or nothing.
However, about 12 years ago, I met a young store manager who actually directed customers down the street to the Ham store for parts he didn't have.
He seemed to know something. Very un-RS-like. We became friends.
Today, he has customers driving 20 miles to see him, bypassing 10 other stores on the way, just because he's friendly, and helps them.
I've helped him on several occasions deliver TVs to peoples houses after work.

I spend a lot of time in the store listening to both employees and customers.
You'd be surprised how many people in a large suburban area have no idea where better deals and selections can be had.
They don't seem to know about Fry's nor MicroCenter.
Many can't spell Best Buy. Some may go to Circuit City.
So, by just -being- there, they (Radio Shack) get business.

As for 500-700 stores closing in a chain of 7000+ stores, that's nothing.
The ones being put down aren't making any profit, so why keep 'em open?
The 6000+ who are, will still be there to take your money next time you want to spend way too much on a Monster Cable! ;)

C1787GJ said:
You have it backwards, Managers get no spiff and associates get a hire wage + spiffs + a different type of commission. Unless it is different in your part of the country.

I was speaking of the pay plans in the Midwest. It was my understanding that this was how it was being rolled out nationwide. Must be a regional thing.

If you're into Ham, shortwave, and scanners then I recommend dealing with Glenn at Scanners Unlimited http://www.scannersunlimited.com/
They aren't the cheapest but you get professional service and courtesy.

You can also lay away things there and they'll ship it when you pay the entire amount which is good for expensive radios that you don't want to put on a card.
There were times when he talked me out of more expensive purchases because he didn't think I needed it (overkill). Not to mention that this dealer is usually the first in the country to get new stuff.

I remember a time when I ordered and paid for a radio that came out on Dec. 23rd 6 months in advance because of release delays. I was high up on the order/waiting list and called and asked if my radio would be shipped out with the first shipment (box of 10) and he said no but I was the next one to get one when the next shipment came in. I said oh darn and mentioned that I lost my job and was hoping for a Christmas present. Later on that day I get an e-mail from Glenn stating that he contacted XXX from Texas who had ordered two of them and offered to give him free shipping for one of his so I'd have a present for under the tree. I was really touched by this and don't mind spending $20-40 more for radios when they are top-notch radio people not to mention great service compared to the lowest prices on the net who offer no support and they fix you up with what you really need.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)