Radio Shack HD Tuner $89!

My unit is suppose to arrive this Tuesday, so until then, I might as well ask a few more questions.

First off the remote. It's obviously the main problem with this receiver, so what's a good replacement for it?

Another thing, I mentioned it earlier, but what's a good antenna to pick up stations that are 40 or so miles away?

Thanks again.

Russ, the remote is pure junk on the Accurian The best you can do is replace it with something that can, (A) be programmed to operate the Accurian, or (B) be a learning remote, such as a Harmony model of your choosing.

As for antenna, I went with a highly regarded Channel Master CM-4221, bow-tie antenna. The 4221 is a 4 bow-tie model, good to 45 miles, and worked like gang busters for me. I liked it so much, I bought the next bigger model, CM-4228, good for 60 miles, but had no noticeable change in operation, so I took it down and put the CM-4221 back in the air. These antennas are easy to point and give great results either in open air, or in an attic in more dense parts of the country where the television transmitters are within 15 miles of your home.

There are other bow-tie type antenna that are made by companies like Winegard that may be less costly and work just as well.

I purchased my Channel Master antenna, and a mast mounted amplifier (I didn't need) from www solidsignal. The shipping on big antennas can be a lot, so if you live in an industrious part of the country, shop locally for the antenna.

I purchased the second Accurian for a non-HD TV. I hooked it up to a 36" Panasonic tube type TV and the picture is so much better than cable, and even better than the analog OTA stations for just the Absence of ghosting, and other atmospheric and cable pitfalls. The Dolby Digital output is a bonus.

TV just keeps getting better all the time. TV shows I like are LOST, Alias, Medium, all the CSI's, and NCSI, Law and Order, Surface, and so much more. It's hard to settle on a few particular shows because cancellations can leave you high and dry mid season. One clear example was Point Pleasant, and another, although not so sudden as mid season, but instead, between seasons was HBO's Carnival. Although I thought the end of the season show was a disappointment, I was eager to see what next season would bring. I found out about that cancellation by reading it on the web, not on the HBO web site either, they made no mention of it.

OK, enough ranting here.. We have bad weather coming and I have to put shutters up just in case it hits us at anything greater than Cat-2. The house holds up fine at Cat-1 and 2, but cat-3 and up can be nerve racking, and Cat-5 means leave town NOW. Joe

You don't need the remote to set the Accurian up...use the box itself...Other universal remotes work fine (and with a stronger signal) with the Accurian...use PIONEER codes. I use a cheap Zenith remo-con and it works fine.

My receiver arrived early today, but it's not what they promised. It looks like it was either a demo unit or a return, and the selector switch on the back (480p, 720p, 1080i) looks like it was broken off. Unless it's suppose to be flat.

Thanks Radio Shack.

The switch is small and requires your finger nail to move. Once it is set, it usually does not change. If you can move it and it doesn't feel broken, it probably is Ok.

The Radio Shack near me had two returns and they were shipped to another store who requested them. The one I got was a store demo and they didn't give me a remote with it, or a break on the price. Joe

RussTC3 said:
My receiver arrived early today, but it's not what they promised. It looks like it was either a demo unit or a return, and the selector switch on the back (480p, 720p, 1080i) looks like it was broken off. Unless it's suppose to be flat.

Thanks Radio Shack.

Technojunky said:
The switch is small and requires your finger nail to move. Once it is set, it usually does not change. If you can move it and it doesn't feel broken, it probably is Ok.

The Radio Shack near me had two returns and they were shipped to another store who requested them. The one I got was a store demo and they didn't give me a remote with it, or a break on the price. Joe
If that's the case, then its okay. I guess that's good news. But I still think its broken. I can move it, but there is no nub at all and I have to use a pen or something of the same type to move it. It just looks like there was something there, but it has broken off. Also the manufacture date is Oct 2004. That's okay right? Seemed kinda old.

I don't have an outdoor antenna yet so I just connected an indoor one. I picked up 3 channels, an ABC station 60-65 quality, and a Religous local and a PBS (75-80 quality). None were broadcasting in HD.

You can check with antennaweb to see how many stations you should get with a good outdoor antenna. You already get better indoor signals than I can. My outdoor antenna is awesome. The more into the green you can get it, the less drop outs, you are likely to have. I sometimes get drop outs from my Fox station, even though I am well up into the green on signal. Even ABC, who is the strongest can give me a pop in the sound once in a while.

I ordered the Avermedia MCE A180 OTA HDTV PCI tuner card yesterday. I want to try and record HDTV on my media center. The media center has been collecting dust since I went to DISH, it's time to put it back in service.

I picked up one more station late this morning. WJW-DT FOX. It's weak and BARELY locking (61-63), but I think I might be able to see myself some HD Football this afternoon! :D

Since you seem to know. If I have a signal at 61-63 and I can boost it with an outdoor antenna to say 90-95, will I see an improvement in my HD picture quality? Or do HDTV's not perform like that?.

What's broadcasting now is just upconverted SD programming (which looks okay). I hope I'll be able to tell some sort of difference when its running in HD. Of course I have a 27inch FS HDTV, so I'm not sure what I should expect. I hope it looks good (at least noticeably better than a DVD).

Here is what's available in my area, DTV/HDTV wise:

Considering I as able to pick up WEWS-DT (40.7M away) and WJW-DT (40M away) with just an indoor antenna, I think I'm going to have great results with an outdoor one.

The thing about HDTV signals, when they are good, or great, the picture doesn't get better. The better signal means less drop out and other undesirable things that will ruin a good time.

Technojunky said:
The thing about HDTV signals, when they are good, or great, the picture doesn't get better. The better signal means less drop out and other undesirable things that will ruin a good time.
Got ya, that's what I figured. I'm watching NFL Sunday on FOX right now, and it's 16x9, but is this SD upconverted? If it is, WOW! And I can't wait to see the game. So sharp. But according to titantv.com it says that NFL Sunday is NOT broadcast in HD, so I have a feeling it's just upconverted. I hope that's the case, because if it is, the football is going to look AMAZING. :D

All with an indoor antenna (The FOX tower is 40M away). Unbeliveable. :D

HDKita... just wondering if you still had the receiver for sale? I sent you email through the forums with my contact address.

RussTC3 said:
Got ya, that's what I figured. I'm watching NFL Sunday on FOX right now, and it's 16x9, but is this SD upconverted? If it is, WOW! And I can't wait to see the game. So sharp. But according to titantv.com it says that NFL Sunday is NOT broadcast in HD, so I have a feeling it's just upconverted. I hope that's the case, because if it is, the football is going to look AMAZING. :D

All with an indoor antenna (The FOX tower is 40M away). Unbeliveable. :D

I'm not sure how you could receive any kind of TV signal from 40 miles on a indoor antenna. I don't think that the indoor antenna is rated for 40 miles, what do the spec's say?

I would be surprised if anything on Sunday afternoon FOX that has the NFL involved is not HD. If there is one thing that the executives at FOX know, is that one of their biggest audiences on the weekend are the football crowd.

I am a prime time TV viewer, and the primtime folks really pissed me off last night with 100% hurricane info instead of Medium, Surface, or Prison Break. I am right in the hurricane belt and still had my shutters up and on generator power when I went to watch TV. I was so pissed to see nothing but hurricane info. What moron thought that someone sitting at home after a hurricane hit them, wants to turn on their TV and see more of it? There were plenty of other stations showing hurricane info, what I needed was to take my mind away from it all for a couple of hours. I think my FOX station was off the air most of the afternoon, and all night. I hope they don't do it again tonight. So far I still have no power, it might be another day or two before I get power restored. I feel bad for the folks that will not get power for three or four weeks.

Technojunky said:
I'm not sure how you could receive any kind of TV signal from 40 miles on a indoor antenna. I don't think that the indoor antenna is rated for 40 miles, what do the spec's say?

I would be surprised if anything on Sunday afternoon FOX that has the NFL involved is not HD. If there is one thing that the executives at FOX know, is that one of their biggest audiences on the weekend are the football crowd.

I am a prime time TV viewer, and the primtime folks really pissed me off last night with 100% hurricane info instead of Medium, Surface, or Prison Break. I am right in the hurricane belt and still had my shutters up and on generator power when I went to watch TV. I was so pissed to see nothing but hurricane info. What moron thought that someone sitting at home after a hurricane hit them, wants to turn on their TV and see more of it? There were plenty of other stations showing hurricane info, what I needed was to take my mind away from it all for a couple of hours. I think my FOX station was off the air most of the afternoon, and all night. I hope they don't do it again tonight. So far I still have no power, it might be another day or two before I get power restored. I feel bad for the folks that will not get power for three or four weeks.
I have to go to class, but when I get back, I'll send you a picture and more details of the setup I have.

I also tuned in one more channel last night: WUAB-DT 43.1 (UPN) and Tube (Video Music Station) at 43.2. It now the furthest station I've picked up at 41.1M away. So with just an indoor antenna, here is what I've been able to pick up:

WEWS-DT - 5.1 - ABC (40.7M)
WJW-DT - 8.1 - FOX (40.0M)
WDLI-DT - 39.1, .2, .3, .4 - TBN (17.8M)
WUAB-DT - 43.1, .2 - UPN (41.1M)
WEAO-DT - 50.1, .2 - PBS (20.3M)

Once I get more time I'm going to order my outdoor antenna, just been kinda busy lately.

Talk to ya later tonight, and glad to see you made it through the Hurricane just fine. But sucks you had to watch Hurricane coverage instead of primetime programming.

I got power back after two days, but a few HD channels are missing. The HD antenna survived a Cat-2 Hurricane while sitting 25 feet up on my tower. I lowered the tower half way before the storm.
Now we are several days later and Fox still has an Off Air on their analog and digital channels. I can't get ABC-HD, but their analog station is still strong. There are a couple of others missing, but I'm not sure what network they are.
Once my satellite dish was torn off of my house, I only had OTA HDTV to watch, and only one station made it all the way through the storm, that was UPN. Joe

I'm bettin' Fox paid dearly for generators to make sure we got the World Series...Miami is experiencing the same with Fox...CBS-HD and WXEL-D (PBS-42-1) is out and the other stations are weak...patience, patience...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)