Radio Shack vs. AntennasDirect?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

FlyingSaucer

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 22, 2005
I am considering the AntennasDirect SR-15 ($40) and the RadioShack U-75R ($25). The SR-15 certainly looks better made, but I can't get the actual specs on the RadioShack to compare.

I am only 6 miles from most stations. Using an old RadioShack butterfly thingy I easily get all but 2 local HDTV stations in Boston. BUT, I am unable to get UPN so am thinking about getting one of the above antennas.

Any experience with these antennas out there?

Also, any ideas as to why one station won't come in at all (WSBK-DT [UPN]) when other stations that are at SAME range and direction (WBZ-DT [CBS]) comes in @ 80%?

I'm gonna do the faux pas of replying to my own post.

FWIW, the Radio Shack U-75R is a cheesy piece of sheet metal. I went to the store, looked at it and wouldn't buy it. It's poorly constructed in every way. It doesn't even have a 75-ohm connector. Simply a white tag on a nut that says "attach wire here".

I can't speak for its reception, but it couldn't last a New England winter. Yeah it's cheap, but you get what you pay for. yuck.

most antennas dont have a 75 ohm connecter. they have 2 leads for a 300 ohm connector. use a blaun kit.

RadioShack's antennas are made by Antennacraft. The only two antenna's that I would recommend from RadioShack is VU-120XR and the VU-190XR. They don't make a very good short range antenna. However, if your that close to the towers, put a bow tie on a pair of rabbit ears. May not be the prettiest, but it sure is the cheapest.

bcope9 said:
RadioShack's antennas are made by Antennacraft. The only two antenna's that I would recommend from RadioShack is VU-120XR and the VU-190XR. They don't make a very good short range antenna. However, if your that close to the towers, put a bow tie on a pair of rabbit ears. May not be the prettiest, but it sure is the cheapest.
I agree with you ,with the caveat that if you have no other option for roof mounted antennas then do indeed use the RS VU-120 or -190, I use the VU-160( discontinued) . Other option first like the ChannelMaster 4228 or some of the anrennas direct Yagis

If your only 6 miles from the tower, why not try a Zenith silver sensor? You can get one from Amazon.com for under $30.00(at least when I bought mine). I use mine and get signals from about 40 miles away no problem, though I do need to tweak it a bit to get the best signal.

dispatcher_21 said:
If your only 6 miles from the tower, why not try a Zenith silver sensor? You can get one from Amazon.com for under $30.00(at least when I bought mine). I use mine and get signals from about 40 miles away no problem, though I do need to tweak it a bit to get the best signal.
WOW missed the distance , Either the Sivlver Sensor or Antennadirect indoor would be my choices.

Why not the indoor antenna?

When I got the HD receiver, I tried an old UHF antenna indoor at the TV.
Ugly but I got 6 stations. Next I put in inside the attic, got 8. But could not pull in UPN consistently. With the external SR-15 mounted on a mast above the dish, I get 10.

Admittedly, I did this mostly as a hobby, not that I need Moesha in 1080i.

When I get a second HD receiver I will route the OTA signal to the second TV and no longer pay D* for my locals.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)