Rain fade in Florida?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mini1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 2, 2004
Can anyone from Florida tell me about rain fade issues with the Slimline (assuming its aligned correctly)? Does a severe rain storm or approaching thunderstorm knock out the signal or does the larger dish reflect the signal better and overcome the cloud cover?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Rain in Florida is like no other place. Nobody has ever seen a a storm until they have seen a Florida afternoon storm. You should be lucky your didh is still alligned after the rain, LOL

I get rain fade during the heaviest of storms with my slimline setup.

Most times its pretty bearable, maybe once a week during summer. I did not even lose it during TS Fay as she dumped 20+ inches of rain on my house.

but like ptech said, some days i go check the dish to make sure it is still attached after those afternoon boomer storms.

i get the rain fade too but usually never more than 10 minutes max and that's during a monsoon. most times, its off a few minutes and then back on. and i rarely loose my sd!

I'm in the panhandle (Bay county) and it's really hit-or-miss. I've had downpours that did not phase it and drizzles that knocked it out!

It's never been out for more than 4-5 minutes for me. My signals are between 94-100 so I assume it's just blocking the signal. A normal, steady rain does not seem to affect it (YMMV). It's usually at the onset or if it's a real "gully-washer"!

Northeast Florida here also. Lose it during big downpours for a few minutes. Not much of an issue at all.

Do you all find that the SD channels are less affected by a storm than HD?

i get the rain fade too but usually never more than 10 minutes max and that's during a monsoon. most times, its off a few minutes and then back on. and i rarely loose my sd!
I'm in Bham, Al, and also have occasional 5-10 min fades, usually only with HD. Sometimes, the TS doesn't have to be overhead, but that's uncommon. Hurricanes and heavy weather of long duration oddly enough aren't too disruptive.

While it is called rain fade you can loose signal due to any blockage along the LOS. It does not have to be raining on the dish for this to happen.

If it is going to happen Florida is the place to study.
Same for lightning damage.

Joe

You've found my own personal weather predictor. First the spotbeam HD's go, then the national HD's go, then finally the sd stuff.

this is the way it usually goes but i gotta tell you that compared to E, D has less rain fade. It takes longer for D to go out and it always comes back before E does. I have both and i have them at their highest signal levels.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts