Rain fade making me about to cancel

KDRE

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 28, 2004
I dont get it. By now this kind of technology shouldn't be affected by some rain this bad. The pic stops, locks up, and I can only view OTA locals. I thought about calling for a larger dish, but if it's going to be a real hassle then I dont even want to bother. What will happen during the really rainy season?

I think I hear Directv calling me. Is Voom actually planning on addressing this problem?

KDRE said:
I dont get it. By now this kind of technology shouldn't be affected by some rain this bad. The pic stops, locks up, and I can only view OTA locals. I thought about calling for a larger dish, but if it's going to be a real hassle then I dont even want to bother. What will happen during the really rainy season?

I think I hear Directv calling me. Is Voom actually planning on addressing this problem?
#1. its not the rain its the clouds.
#2. I experienced disruption with my Directv triple lnb dish as well.

KDRE said:

I just cancelled. VOOM customer & tech service is horrid. I just had it "up to here." System de-install will be in two days. Funny when push comes to shove, they get a tech out ASAP if they want their junk back! But for a service call - it takes over a week.

Solution

I'm in South Florida and I had Voom installed in the Summer when it was raining every day. Terrible rain fade, I mean really bad. I called Voom and told them I wanted a bigger dish, they set up an appointment with Installs to come out and put it up at no cost of course. Since then, honestly I've had rain fade maybe 3 times. And the 3 hurricanes we had, amazingly I didn't miss one second due to rain fade. I lost my OTA signal but the satellite signal held strong. Just get a bigger dish it helps A LOT!

I got upgraded to the 24" dish in the Atlanta area. It took 1 phone call and a total of 3 business days to get it installed. So I have to give Voom's customer service "two thumbs up". I haven't had rain fade on the satellite signal since.

VOOM should only be installing 24" dishes and just trash the 18". How much more $$$ would it really cost them in the long run?

A 24" will help tremendously. I'm in the rainy Pacific Northwest and only lose my signal on the heaviest rain days. You have to look through the sky the direction the dish is pointing though, because it can be sunny overhead but thick black clouds over the Cascades and I can lose my signal. On the flip side, it can be pouring buckets overhead but if the clouds over the Cascades are light, I keep a strong signal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts