Rain fade thing of the past!

MrMylesG

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 19, 2004
Perry Hall, MD
Well, hopefully anyway. Here in Florida we get quite a bit of rain and incliment weather which usually causes LOS on my Dish 500. I was playing around with 40"c-band FTA stuff and discovered the dish dual lnbf holder fits perfectly on my lnb arm of my Primestar 1m.

Well, right now there is a tropical disturbance heading our way and the past few days there has been considerable LOS events. So I mounted the lnbfs from my dish 500 to the new setup.

So far I have not lost one signal with this new setup. :) :) Of course it looks like overkill for dishnetwork but as long as the neighbors don't complain, I should be fine.

Here are some pictures of my setup.

MrM

Attachments

• dish-1.jpg
    dish-1.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 428
  • dish-2.jpg
    dish-2.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 267
  • dish-3.jpg
    dish-3.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 221
What are you getting for signal? Pinned?

Just because it fits doesn't mean focal length and 9 deg spacing is correct. :)

I love your stealth mount.
Nobody outside your lot can see your LUD. (little.. .. ..)
But, I've lived in Florida, and either the grass will be up over the LNB within a month, or your dish will be full of lawnmower clippings!

I'd once seen a Florida web site where the dealer advertized four-foot dishes as the way to avoid LOS during hurricanes.
Your idea is cheaper.

Keep up the good work.!.
(what a good laugh to start off the day!)

If he chucked the Y adpater and put it directly on, it would be :)
Youd have to hose clamp the other one on, but hey it works....what kind of signals are you getting?

Just a FYI...rain fade still happens...it just will take one heluva storm/cloud cover to knock it out :)

inwo said:
What are you getting for signal? Pinned?

Just because it fits doesn't mean focal length and 9 deg spacing is correct. :)
If he's getting all of his channels, and hasn't lost a signal like he said in his post, one would assume the angles are correct.

One also has to assume he aimed the Dish using the "point dish" screen, and the signals showed strong levels.

Iceberg said:
Just a FYI...rain fade still happens...it just will take one heluva storm/cloud cover to knock it out :)
just so happens we had one of those lastnight as you know iceberg, better not rain tonight dammit
ITS HOCKEY TIME!
i lost *C on a 75cm dish due to storms in TC last night

your dish soes look really good though, im gonna do the same with a 90cm dish for XpressVu

If it works out, we gotta tell the frozen moose-burgers up north.
They're fighting to get sufficient signal on 82 for their HD reception (with a 20" Dish500's) through rain 'n snow.
A few have migrated to dueling 24" dishes.
The rest are too timid to sport a pair of 30" FTA balls. ;)

Iceberg said:
If he chucked the Y adpater and put it directly on, it would be :)
If someone would do the math (or take direct readings), maybe there's an answer in sawing a couple of inches off the arm that would put the focal point on the LNBs.

Anole said:
If it works out, we gotta tell the frozen moose-burgers up north.
They're fighting to get sufficient signal on 82 for their HD reception (with a 20" Dish500's) through rain 'n snow.
A few have migrated to dueling 24" dishes.
The rest are too timid to sport a pair of 30" FTA balls. ;)

i know thats what im dealing with currently, hopefully not for long
im gonna try 36'' fc90p from sadoun

is this a product, begging to be sold?

Stone -

If a 36" don't do it, I'll bring you a tactical nuke and we'll clear that obstruction to your LOS !

PS: see edit to my post above, re: cutting arm.

Mr. Sadoun - are you paying attention?
Build a mount for two Dish/BEV LNBs on one of your 30/36" dish, and the Canadians will flock to your door!

Anole said:
Stone -

If a 36" don't do it, I'll bring you a tactical nuke and we'll clear that obstruction to your LOS !

PS: see edit to my post above, re: cutting arm.
Should be okay Iceberg is gracious enough to lend me a hand with this project. Ill take note if signal not sufficient lets give 82 a quick and relatively painless death with you tactical nuke lol

Sadoun - are you paying attention?
Build a mount for two Dish/BEV LNBs on a 30/36" dish, and the Canadians as well as the upper Midwest Usa will flock to your door!

commission

I just want braggin' rights, and one of his USB FTA boxes. ;)

...oh, and a moose-burger.
I have already had buffalo burgers from when I lived in South Dakota.

Nice deal, looks to be about the same length as a superdish arm so he should be fine though he will still end up with rain fade though not as much as a 500. While I was in Pensacola 2 weeks ago when Rita was hitting west of us we got some incredibly heavy rainfall ( about 6 inchs in 1.5 hours ) that knocked out all the signals on a system I was trying to retune( 105 super dish ). Unfortunately the rain did not let up and the neighborhood I was in was starting to flood and the road in was sand and red dirt so I got out before I got stuck.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)