Rain Fade/wind Trouble

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

SOFAKINGCOOL

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 9, 2007
I am getting rain fade when its raining out side or if it is really windy.Where i am at i can get wind gusts up to 60+mph.The only channels that seem to be affected are the mpeg4 channels .The mpeg2 channels dont seem to be effected at all .I never had this problem with 3lnb dish.Is anyone else having these problems?

Last edited:
I'd be surprised if you were having problems with the MPEG2 and not the MPEG4.

If you're a recent install, you should ask to have your dish fortified so that it doesn't wag in the wind.

The MPEG4 channels are delivered on higher frequencies that are significantly more susceptible to atmospheric interference.

We just went through a 3 day bout with 30+MPH winds and more sever gusts and my SlimLine and MPEG4's were super steady. We did have a 5min sideways rain and hail storm that took me out about 3 mins. BUT power was out to the the rest of the hood and my generator had me running for that 30mins.

The MPEG4 channels are delivered on higher frequencies that are significantly more susceptible to atmospheric interference.

Not only that but the signal-beam width is much narrower on the 99 and 103 than it is on the 101 or 119, doesn't take as much wag/rainfade to drop the signal way down on it.

Not only that but the signal-beam width is much narrower on the 99 and 103 than it is on the 101 or 119, doesn't take as much wag/rainfade to drop the signal way down on it.

Sorta true.
Yes the band is much narrower, but that doesn't mean you should lose signal.

I too just went thru a stretch of 50+ mph wind gusts for about 3-4 days and NEVER lost signal.

Jimbo

Terrible winds here last night, it was so bad I thought I would wake up and find my grill a few yards over. Not a single problem related to my TV watching enjoyment, aside from a quick (10sec) power outage. The signal as been fantastic since having my Side Car dish replaced with the slim line last week (thanks again for the info Jimbo, sorry about OSU)

On a side note charper1 what type of generator setup do you have as I have been pondering doing something along those lines. (PM if needed)

Bill

A Briggs & Stratton powered 6,200-Watt 11 HP portable I keep in the garage. I fire it up for the TV, DBS; also the PC & fridge (if needed). We have a gas stove so that works out well. It has 5 outlets and is weather-proof. I think its a model 030242.

I'm not sure who brought this up first, but this is the mother lode of hogwash.

Beam width has something to do with spotbeams tapering off fast (sometimes before a market is completely covered), but in and of itself, it has nothing to do with signal fade. As far as your dish is concerned all satellites are a single point.

Sorta true.
Yes the band is much narrower, but that doesn't mean you should lose signal.

I too just went thru a stretch of 50+ mph wind gusts for about 3-4 days and NEVER lost signal.

Jimbo
but i am losing signal but only on the new mpeg4 hd channels,its unwatchable the picture will freeze break up and come back.Its windy season for me here in southern california .We had a rain storm come through and i got searching for signal only on the mpeg4 hd channels

but i am losing signal but only on the new mpeg4 hd channels,its unwatchable the picture will freeze break up and come back.Its windy season for me here in southern california .We had a rain storm come through and i got searching for signal only on the mpeg4 hd channels

Sounds like you need to double check and make sure the monopole brackets were put on the dish.Then I would suggest a realignment.;)

Last edited:
Sounds like it needs realignment, and to make sure the thing is secure. If it's dropping out that much then that dish is either really really loose.... would have to be to move it that much to cause the 99 or 103 to bottom out.

My point earlier about beam-width, let me clarify a little. I didn't mean the actual width of the spot-beam itself, I meant width in terms of a sine wave. The 101, which is our main orbital satellite in the fleet has a much wider signal-beam wave (for lack of a better term, think of it as a sine wave) width than the 99 or 103. That is why it is absolutely critical to use the dithering knobs on the Ka/Ku when tuning it in as it needs to be nearly dead-on. You could have an 80% signal on the 101/119 and have no problems with any channel being transmitted via the 101/119, but your 99 and 103 would have already dropped out or be close to dropping out. What the dithers do is fine tune the 101 and the 119 into the apex of that beam curve. With those two sat's at the apex, the 99 and 103 should also be at their apex. One degree off is like a 60 mile difference when your trying to hit a target that is 200+ miles up in low-earth geosynch orbit.

Think of it like this: Two mountains standing next to each other, both the exact same height. One has a fat, broad base and broad summit, the other has a narrow skinny base and summit. If two people stood on both summits, and started walking at the same speed down the mountain, the person on the skinny mountain would hit bottom way before the other guy ever really got off the summit. Just like a sine wave. Hope that clarifies the point I was making, I was kind of vague earlier, my bad.

In a nutshell if the dish is properly tuned, AND is securely mounted with monopoles ( I usually use 6 lags on the mast foot and 3 each on two monopoles, haven't had a SC for tuning yet I'm proud to say ^^) then you should NEVER lose signal due to wind unless the wind rips the entire thing off your house.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help guys i will get on the roof this weekend and check it out.I do notice in a slight breeze the dish does wobble.

Well I looked at my dish and there is no monopole brackets and 1or 2 lag screws and a zip tie.It looks like all they did was took my old dish off the mounting bracket and installed the new one.This was done back in september i believe do i still have a case or is it to late

O.O

2 lags and a ziptie??? Dude definitely take pics and then call and bitch. Ask for retention right off don't even mess with the tier 1 people. If one of our WTL's QC'd that job it would fail I guarantee. I'd be ashamed of myself if I did one like that. >.<

Reminds me, I had a service call for something like this this morning. Pissed me off too, the guy that did it no longer works for us thankfully. Wish I had taken some pics of it, I may start doing that just for fun. This guy (customer)had switched from E* I think, the old dish had been mounted on a deck railing, which is where our guy mounted the Ka/Ku at. 3 lags through the foot, one short monopole with one lag through it. 4 lags total. Wouldn't have been bad had he put the monopole in the right damn place, but how he had it mounted offered no front to back support from the wind. Lateral was tight, but when we had some high wind about 2 weeks ago, it blew the reflector back far enough to where it twisted the monopole clasp that attaches to the mast, twisted it far enough that when the dish blew backward it wouldn't come back. DING! SC. I added a front to back monopoles, re-aimed it, shook the damn thing to make sure it was tight frontways and sideways. Problem solved.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts