Rain fade?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cliffordmarc

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 3, 2004
Ok I am watching TV last night and my picture started to brake up. So I went outside for a smoke and well its raining out. I am new to D* is this going to happen every time it rains? what about snow my dish is on the roof am I going to loose a signal every time it snows?

Sounds like you need to get your dish re-pointed, it would have to be a HEAVY rainstorm to cause the above, snow should not be a problem unless it gets too deep and covers the bottom of the dish, the most common problem with snow is the heavy damp stuff, if that gets driven against your dish and sticks, you have had it, until it melts or you remove it, another reason to try to keep your dish as low as possible.

cliffordmarc said:
So I went outside for a smoke and well its raining out.

LOL...i took one look outside last night and thought, f it, i'm not smoking tonight. I'm in Md and we are getting pounded with rain by the storms coming up from Florida. The rain last night wasn't too hard, but pretty steady. All my meters were above 90. For me to lose signals, it has to be a torential (sp?) downpour, usually with lightening. As the previous post said, you probably need to check your alignment.

As for snow, my dish is mounted near the ground, but I've never had a problem with snow sticking to it. If it becomes a real problem for you, I think you can buy some sort of heating element, but I'm not sure.

rain fade is virtually NO issue....happens maybe twice per year to me, lasting anywhere from 15 secs to 1 minute....only in VERY heavy rain...and only for a very short time....snow is rarely an issue....had problems twice in 10 years, both times due to very wet snow that stuck to the vertical face of the dish...brush it off or wait till it melts...never had ANY problems, even during noreaster's here in connecticut

PSB said:
Sounds like you need to get your dish re-pointed, it would have to be a HEAVY rainstorm to cause the above, snow should not be a problem unless it gets too deep and covers the bottom of the dish, the most common problem with snow is the heavy damp stuff, if that gets driven against your dish and sticks, you have had it, until it melts or you remove it, another reason to try to keep your dish as low as possible.

when you mean re-pointed should I call direct TV for that? will they come out and do it?

Call Who Ever Installed Your Dish On The Roof. Most Installers Give You 30 Days To Repoint Your Dish If There Is A Problem.

I've seen it where it may not be raining or a very light rain by me and the D* (or E* for that matter) would go out, but if I looked to the southwest the sky was pitch black and radar showed that area being pounded. So my experience has been even no rain at the house, if there's really bad storm in the area I can loose it. Other times the rain's coming down sideways at the house and the signal never went out.

Up here in southeast PA we lost our signal for about 30 minutes last night due to rain fade, however looking at the radar this was one of those rare times that the storms came up from the south. There was a yellow/red return that was marching up from the south directly in my line of sight, which I am sure contributed to the length of outage. As one storm would break up/move on another would be coming over the horizon behind it to continue blocking the signal.

Usually storms will march from west to east in a front that moves perpendicular to the direction it lies, so the big boomers will pass across the line of sight quickly resulting in only a momentary fade.

Last night, of course, had to be special. And with another hurricane fixing to march up the coast it should be interesting.

I used to get "Wind Fade"..............

I always thought it was rain fade, until i saw that the installer only bothered to use 1 bolt into the bricks, so the dish would shake all over the place whenever it was windy out.

Now that i was able to do it correctly and actually mount the thing to the brick i have no issues with wind or rain fade.

Double check your installers work before they leave, i cannot stress this point enough.

I am looking if bigger oval dish is available, my phase 3 dish does has signal loss each time when big rain, since 110 LNB is center to the dish, it gone out signal first, you can see from 95+ to 0 within 10 second when heavy rain, 101 will last longer time.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)