Rain Fade

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

turkyhntr

Original poster
Oct 10, 2006
Hi,

I had a Dish 1000 installed 2 weeks ago, new dish customer, I have 2 model 311 receivers in bedrooms and 1 HDTV/DVR Md 622 receiver for the family room, (hdtv), and also feeds the dining area tv.

I have been getting rain fade, pixels, and freeze frames and slow motions on my HDTV, and rain fade, pixels on the bedroom sets and dining area. I called Dish they walked me thru some sytems checks, but said I should call when I am having the problems. Well last night I had the problems as described above for the HDTV
called Dish they really did'nt have an answer I asked why they had not installed the super dish on my roof instead of the 1000, they said that they were fazing out the supers and using the 1000's now, all my neighbors have supers and are not experienceing the same problems I have. Dish is going to send a Tech out on thursday to check aiming,etc. Readings 110 is 61%. 119 104% 129 85% right now!

The dish is on the roof with clear air to the satelites, no obstrucions.

I am really fed up, when I had Direct TV I did not experiance theis kind of rain fade, I don't know what to do. I am not that smart as to satelites, etc. I don't know what to say to this Tech when he comes. What should I be looking for or demanding. I did ask the on the phone to exchange the dish 1000 for a super dish, they won't do that.

My 30days are not up yet, I really don't want to pull the plug on Dish Netwrok, they offer more the Direct TV for HDTV, as well as the local stations. Hope I get a good Tech who is knowledgeable, honest, and customer orioneted.

If anyone can give me anykind of advise it will be appreciated, Thank You!

Super Dish is not needed anymore since most locals mover to 110 slot. If you can't get a 129 superdish maybe get him to install a dish 500 for core programming (110 and 119 slots) and a separate dish for 129 or 61.5 for HD, The two dish setup seems to work much better as the dishes are much easier to peak signals on.

agreed, you need a second dish, the bigger the better, dedicated to 129 or 61.5. Unless you have some requirement for 129 (you don't say where you are located so we can't tell) 61.5 would work better in most cases.

BTW this was my 2000th post. Woo hoo!

Last edited:
As the previous posters said, you need a second dish. One dedicated for 119 and 110 and the second one for either 61.5 or 129 (depending on where you are). 129 is a piece of crap so you're better off with 61.5 but it all depends on your location.

The Stupid Dish or I mean Superdish, is not set up to receive 129 satellite.
After 110 and 119 it gets either 105 or 121 not 129.
To ask for this dish to go from 110 and over to 129 just isn't enough gain. Go with a seperate dish for 129.

Shouldn't even have 129

Sorry, I live in Erie, Pennsylvania area code 16508
Philly, PA HDTV locals are on 61.5 which make me think if they put up Erie it would go on 61.5. Also footprint of 129 isn't that great that direction for 129. In fact most of the NE has problems or can't receive 129. Get a 2nd dish aimed at 61.5.

Just to give you an update, the Tech came and at first did not seem to find anything wrong, then when running the system check over and over he started getting red instead of green. Said the 129 llb was bad, he went on the roof and ended up replacing the 110/119 llb too. He then re-aimed the dish, said that some of the bolts were not tightend on the dish, does not say much for the original install. So right now I am just waiting to see what happens next.

Glad to hear you go things resolved. I live in south-central PA and also had HD installed about 3 weeks ago. They blessed me with a 1000 w/110, 119, & 129. My 129 signal isnt the greatest (around 82-85) but, I haven't noticed any problems yet. Good luck

I too had problems with rain fade after I switched from DTV, 3 months ago. The install company came out twice and insisted that nothing was wrong, but still a drizzle would knock out the picture until after the rain stopped and things dried out. I used the ceo email address and they finally sent a Dish tech. He found that the LNB was full of water, from the rain 3 days prior, screws missing and a loose install. Doesn't say much for Antenna Star and their installs. Any way things are great, no rain fade since and you know how much rain we have had in the last 3 months.

What irritates me is that when you call in with the problem they treat you like a moron that doesn't have any knowledge of satellite reception. I installed my own DTV system 7 years ago and kept up with it. Never had rain fade, so why would I have it with Dish. CSRs all said this was to be expected, and I say NOT!

129 is the standard install for Erie. When you get a clear day, or night, you should check your signal strengths for 110, 119, and 129. Some techs consider it a successful install for signal strengths to be in the 65-75 range. But you will get more rain fade if that is where they leave it. Your 110 & 119 signals should be at least in the 90s. It would be nice if you can get 80 from 129.

Hi,

I had a Dish 1000 installed 2 weeks ago, new dish customer, I have 2 model 311 receivers in bedrooms and 1 HDTV/DVR Md 622 receiver for the family room, (hdtv), and also feeds the dining area tv.

I have been getting rain fade, pixels, and freeze frames and slow motions on my HDTV, and rain fade, pixels on the bedroom sets and dining area. I called Dish they walked me thru some sytems checks, but said I should call when I am having the problems. Well last night I had the problems as described above for the HDTV
called Dish they really did'nt have an answer I asked why they had not installed the super dish on my roof instead of the 1000, they said that they were fazing out the supers and using the 1000's now, all my neighbors have supers and are not experienceing the same problems I have. Dish is going to send a Tech out on thursday to check aiming,etc. Readings 110 is 61%. 119 104% 129 85% right now!

The dish is on the roof with clear air to the satelites, no obstrucions.

I am really fed up, when I had Direct TV I did not experiance theis kind of rain fade, I don't know what to do. I am not that smart as to satelites, etc. I don't know what to say to this Tech when he comes. What should I be looking for or demanding. I did ask the on the phone to exchange the dish 1000 for a super dish, they won't do that.

My 30days are not up yet, I really don't want to pull the plug on Dish Netwrok, they offer more the Direct TV for HDTV, as well as the local stations. Hope I get a good Tech who is knowledgeable, honest, and customer orioneted.

If anyone can give me anykind of advise it will be appreciated, Thank You!
Superdish was not used for the reception of HD programming..HD comes from the 129 slot and is mirroed off the 61.5 slot..
If you can "see" the 61.5 slot from your location, get a 20"dish
install it and point it at the 61.5 location
..You'll get much better signal strengths from the 61.5..The 129 is a POS.....
No problem with 61.5 form your area..61.5 is loacted at Azimuth 152 degrees, Elevation 42 degrees..Please feel free to post further comments/questions..I will try to help you rid yourself of the scourge that is the dish 1000

Well it's still acting up, we lost allthe signals this past week, granted there was some snow, but it did not bother my son's dish or my neighbors. At first we lost all signals, then later, we would get a couple stations, but never the whole subscription. I was out of town, but my duaghter called Dish to complain, they blamed it all on snow. She told them others in the neigborhood we not having the problems, they said they would send a Tech out Tuesday.

When I came home today I ran a scan and it would not pick up a signal, the I would run it again and it would, go figure. When this happened the last time the Tech replaced all the LLB's, what bothers me is that this is the same porblems I had before. They, the Techs, never take equipment out of new boxes, they are just laying in the back of the panek truck, so I wonder if it is even new equipment, 2nd is that these Techs are a sub-contractor, Inter Tech, they are not Dish Network Techs. I am really disgusted, never has problems like this with DIRECT TV, I don't know what to do, I am ready to BLOW UP.

I have to keep the 129, I subscribe to locals, and 61 does not have them, one of the reasons I switched to DISH in the first place. How about that rain fade spray, does it work? I read somewhere else about not being properley grounded can cause problems too. I just don;t know and have no confidence in the Tech solving my problems. Any input will be appreciated!!!

Sorry to hear your problems, I am a tech for intertech based here in erie and have been for the last three years. With that being said its hard to say if I was the one out there. I'll help ya in any way I can if possible. With that being said about the second dish for 61.5 for HD, its true, the Dish 1000 sucks bad but we are forced to put them in because thats what dish pays us to do. The only problem with the second dish for 61.5 hd is that you'll also need either a third dish for local 129 or a superdish with a dish 500 to pickup all four sats (erie locals are mirrored on 121 and 129 sats). Along with either set up, you'll also need a dpp 44 switch which is around 200 bucks, kinda expensive but def the better route to take. Let me know if i can help you and I will, I have the experience of 4 years of installs and can tell you anything you need to know about dish.

Well it's still acting up, we lost allthe signals this past week, granted there was some snow, but it did not bother my son's dish or my neighbors. At first we lost all signals, then later, we would get a couple stations, but never the whole subscription. I was out of town, but my duaghter called Dish to complain, they blamed it all on snow. She told them others in the neigborhood we not having the problems, they said they would send a Tech out Tuesday.

When I came home today I ran a scan and it would not pick up a signal, the I would run it again and it would, go figure. When this happened the last time the Tech replaced all the LLB's, what bothers me is that this is the same porblems I had before. They, the Techs, never take equipment out of new boxes, they are just laying in the back of the panek truck, so I wonder if it is even new equipment, 2nd is that these Techs are a sub-contractor, Inter Tech, they are not Dish Network Techs. I am really disgusted, never has problems like this with DIRECT TV, I don't know what to do, I am ready to BLOW UP.

I have to keep the 129, I subscribe to locals, and 61 does not have them, one of the reasons I switched to DISH in the first place. How about that rain fade spray, does it work? I read somewhere else about not being properley grounded can cause problems too. I just don;t know and have no confidence in the Tech solving my problems. Any input will be appreciated!!!

Unfortunately your locals come off that stupid satellite at 129..It's ridiculous IMO for Dish to be sending locals to a city as far north as Erie from a bird that is probably no more than 18-20 degrees above the horizon.....
Anyway, I still insist that your dish needs to be re-pointed.....
The snow issue....A dry powdery type snow accumulated on the dish wil not cause significant signal loss.However a wet snow will....But as of this posting,I assume the snow is gone but the problem is not..So the Dish CSR was of course wrong and shoul;d no tbe diagnosing issues beyond the level of his/her expertise..

If you now somebody that can modify an old superdish for 129 it will get great signal. Then use a dish500 for your 119&110. You will have 2 dishes but far less rain fade.

Still waiting for the Tech today, will give them one last shot at it then I will contact Echostar. It is just a shame that when you are paying top buck for service, you don't get it. I am a new subscriber and signed up for HD gold, my bill is approx. $100.00 a month, my upfront fees were $200, and my first bill for 2 mo was $245. and a get what! If they knew they were going to have problems with signals in my area why did'nt they put the 2 dishes up on the install. Another thing is the small size of this dish 1000 compared to my son super dish, he does not have any problems and lives 2 blocks away from me. The Techs that did the original install and the one that came back a week ago to replace all the LLBs, all bad mouthed the super dish stating it was a piece of crap. All I know is other people in my area have the larger dish and don't have problems.

Another thing on the original install, I had to make a fuss for them to replace the cable in the house, that runs to the receivers, etc. said the cable from Direct was good enough, I said I want it replaced, there were all kind of splices in it. Well they did replace all but the one that runs off the 622 receiver to the 2nd TV. Well guess what I get a terrible picture on that set. I will try to get the Tech to run a new line to that set today, say a prayer for me! It can't be hooked to the digital signal connector in the back of the set, I have to hook it up to analog to get a picture and it is just not sharp and clear like my other TV's. Bye the way this is a brand new set so I don't see the problem being with the TV, just replaced the old one because of the picture, still have it with the new one. Ergo I feel that it must be the old line, I just don't know.

Which is better to email my complaint to Echostar or to telephone them?

I remember you now, I was the one that did your original install, everything was fine when I left there, and the cable that runs the second tv off of the 622 is producing a bad pic huh. Did you try changing the backfeed channel to something else, that will fix the problem most of the time. And I had no problem replacing all the cable in your house so don't make it seem like i did have a problem with it. You were cool to do the install for so don't try belittling me like I had no clue what I was doing, Ive been in this field for 4 years now and know my stuff. Heres the reason we didn't use that crap superdish, HD comes off of 61.5 or 129, the Superdish uses 121. So with the superdish you don't get the mpeg 4 HD, and mpeg 4 HD is the reason you spent all that money on you 622 right. Now with all that said, if I can help you I will, just let me know what can be done. Oh and one more thing, just to prove I was there, you ordered a dish 1000 off of ebay while I was there.

Lets get it straight, one you did not run new cable to the 2nd set, two there were loose bolts on the dish, the 2nd Tech is the one that found them and fixed that. I never made a complaint with you boos when he came to check on the job, I said I was satisfied, at the time I did'nt know there was not a new run to the 2nd set. I even gave you and your partner I good reveiw!!!

But the bottom line is that I have had problems that I don't think I should be having, I am paying a bill and not getting the quality reception from the dish, so yea I am MAD, if you want to take offense to that so be it! I am a Dish customer who is not satisfied!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts