Rain/snow

kpip99

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 18, 2012
Anyone ever spray anything on their dish to repel snow/ice/rain better ? If so what did you use and do you think it helped ?

Nothing you can do to a dish will do anything for rain fade. The drops in the air will absorb the signal before it gets to the dish.
It's heavy wet snow that causes problems. Here in upstate NY, I only loose signal once or twice a year.

Reactions: ChadT41 and jerryez
PAM, Rain-X etc... As long as an even coat, and doesnt affect the reflection, should be fine.

WHAT?? NOOOO don't use PAM or anything with a viscosity!!! All this does is allow dust or whatever else to collect and after time will degrade the signal. Trust me...as a past installer I've walked up to dishes with this crap sprayed on them and just went on ahead and replaced the reflectors cause there is no point in trying to clean them off...very hard to do!

My best solution I tell people and I do this myself is a polyurethane coating after a nice coat of like a glossy spray paint for outdoors. I painted mine camo and did this. I did a meter test before and after showing I had a 3-4 point increase from the paint and the clear coating. The clear coat should be for outside use too. Now if you really want to get hard core which I think I'll do this spring to make it easier to clean bird crap off is I'm gonna take a new reflector and paint it up once again but this time drop it off at a local auto paint shop and when they are in the booth adding clear coat have them do a few passes on the dish for me. The guy I asked about this said he would do it for free but I figure I'll tip em a $20 but even if a place charges you that then ohh well its well worth it.

But under no circumstances should you ever use anything oil based like PAM and even Rain-X will collect dust once its dried, causing signal to drop.

Lol, sorry, I am in AZ....Snow isn't exactly an issue(except a couple of flakes on NYE), so this is all based on what people have said. I can't imagine Rain-X being bad, but can not imagine it being the best either. What is the best option that someone may have lying around the house? Is the spray paint truly effective??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts