Rainbow 1 HD Footprint

Inside

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 9, 2004
Does anyone know if the useable footprint goes South East of Puerto Rico where it is already weak, specifically if it will reach St. Kitts at 17.2N 62.6W?

You need a Large dish ... an 8 footer or so. This is a very weak Satt in the carribean. Notably 129 can be picked up easier in my part of the carribean. (some may argue that one, but I know it to be true as I use it!)

-B

Those trasnponders in your area are hard to lock it even with a 6 footer Dish,That is the reason if you zip code come from that area DN will not activate any metal package for you.:(

Think I am too far east to get 129, the look angle would be only 14 degrees, what is your look angle?

I believe I might get 62.5 with an eight foot dish but its an expensive experiment.

I note that transponder 15 on Rainbow 1 is in SD, would this be a good guide to test with a standard receiver before investing in an HD receiver?

good signal in south mexico

Does anyone know if the useable footprint goes South East of Puerto Rico where it is already weak, specifically if it will reach St. Kitts at 17.2N 62.6W?
I am in southeast part of mexico,i have a 7Ft dish in one city 17 N 96 W and E*12 at 61.5 is very strong , the inclination of the antena was 3° lower than calculation ( here is about 44° and azimuth 112)and I find it in transponder 15 in SD is the best way to find it , the signal in Tr 15 comes very strong like 80 and will be the same in all HD tp.E*12 except Tp 2 that is weak ( it is E*3). good luck:)

Last edited:
Think I am too far east to get 129, the look angle would be only 14 degrees, what is your look angle?

I believe I might get 62.5 with an eight foot dish but its an expensive experiment.

I note that transponder 15 on Rainbow 1 is in SD, would this be a good guide to test with a standard receiver before investing in an HD receiver?

Like you said tp 15 on 61.5 is a SD content however the tp for allingment 61.5 is the 29.If you want to check how the tp with HD content have a strong signal in your area,I would check as follows: tp 1 ,2 ,3,7,9,13,19 and 20.On tps 5,11,,17,21 have also HD content but not available to us(HD Locals on Conus only).But like I said before If you live in Fajardo for example you may not get programing even if you are lucky enough to get strong signals on the tps above,I do this for a living and for whatever reason the DN csrs are unable to get any metal packages on zip codes in some metropolitan counties,Like Fajardo ,Luquillo ,Rio Grande,Vieques ,Culebra,Naguabo,Humacao,Las Piedras,Ceiba,Carolina and Loiza,So there you have it,I wish you luck.;)

My look angle is 13 degrees for 129. Works fine. While signal in general on that old satellite fluctuates, i rarely lose it. It goes anywhere from 50% to 120% (a 6 foot solid offset dish) Trust me, its much better than 61.5 is for me. Echo 3 is fine here, but rainbow 1 is horrid. Using an invacom lnb and a 6 footer i could pick up some of rainbow 1 at night barely (it pixelated etc). Really you need an 8 or a 10, with 12 being the best out here for that. However the cost of all of those dishes is somewhat prohibitive. I would just go with a 6 and take 129 versus 61.5 ;0

Mojonba, I am happy to PM that to you... I prefer to keep my location private though! ;0

-B

My look angle is 13 degrees for 129. Works fine. While signal in general on that old satellite fluctuates, i rarely lose it. It goes anywhere from 50% to 120% (a 6 foot solid offset dish) Trust me, its much better than 61.5 is for me. Echo 3 is fine here, but rainbow 1 is horrid. Using an invacom lnb and a 6 footer i could pick up some of rainbow 1 at night barely (it pixelated etc). Really you need an 8 or a 10, with 12 being the best out here for that. However the cost of all of those dishes is somewhat prohibitive. I would just go with a 6 and take 129 versus 61.5 ;0

Mojonba, I am happy to PM that to you... I prefer to keep my location private though! ;0

-B

Echo 3 and Echo 12(Rainbow 1)61.5 are in the same orbital location so when you switch tp you are getting both at the same time with different signal readings,You are right about the size of size of the dish on the East of Puerto Rico or US VI Island need to get any sat on that Orbital location but I suggest any one who wants a HD Programming to call tech support or wait until Febraury 1 to see if is finally Echostar Engineer Dept change the computers approval settings regard US Caribbean Costumers and HD before make a investment on a at least $ 600.00 Dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts