Rainbow1 is now spotbeam

wbuffetta

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 18, 2004
I Have Been A Voomer Since 3/17/04 in Portland OR.
For The Last Couple of Years The Weather Has Been Dry.
Last Sunday 5/15/05 I Signed Up With E* To Get My V* Channels Back.
Last Week The Heavy Rains Returned That We Have Not seen In a Couple of Years. I Mean HEAVY! I Noticed My Voom Channels Have Not Gone Out Once!
Today I Went To The Setup of My New 811 and For Dish Pointing & Choose The 148 Degree Sat. On The Even TPs on Eco 3 No Go. But On 1,3,5,7 a Reading in the Low 90's & a Message saying "Spotbeam".

I Think What This Means That If You Can See Rainbow 1 You Will Get Voom Without Rainfade.

People Who Had Voom Before Need To Respond If This Is True For Them.

wbuffetta said:
I Have Been A Voomer Since 3/17/04 in Portland OR.
For The Last Couple of Years The Weather Has Been Dry.
Last Sunday 5/15/05 I Signed Up With E* To Get My V* Channels Back.
Last Week The Heavy Rains Returned That We Have Not seen In a Couple of Years. I Mean HEAVY! I Noticed My Voom Channels Have Not Gone Out Once!
Today I Went To The Setup of My New 811 and For Dish Pointing & Choose The 148 Degree Sat. On The Even TPs on Eco 3 No Go. But On 1,3,5,7 a Reading in the Low 90's & a Message saying "Spotbeam".

I Think What This Means That If You Can See Rainbow 1 You Will Get Voom Without Rainfade.

People Who Had Voom Before Need To Respond If This Is True For Them.

Rainbow 1 is at 61.5 still, not 148. I have the 287 software on my 811 and I cannot check the signal strength for the Rainbow 1 transponders. My dish was peaked for Rainbow 1 when I had Voom DBS, however.

Your Software Will Not See The Odd TPs For Rainbow 1. You Need To Select The 148 Sat. To See Your Sig. Strength For 61.5.

wbuffetta said:
Your Software Will Not See The Odd TPs For Rainbow 1. You Need To Select The 148 Sat. To See Your Sig. Strength For 61.5.
Note that this trick will only work for some configurations, and only if done in a certain way.

I am unable to view Tps 1,3,5 and 7 on 61.5 on my 942 and 811s. I rarely experienced rain fade on VOOM (2 or 3 short outages during heavy thunderstorms), and the signal levels are 100+ on all Dish TPs. It would be very nice to be able to check signal level on Rainbow-1.

wbuffetta said:

Ok. I see the spotbeam indicator for 1, 3, 5, and 7. However, there is no signal on the other Rainbow transponders. The original Rainbow spotbeam coverage map does not provide for complete CONUS coverage.

They are not in spotbeam mode.

If your receiver sad that it was mistaking it as another satellite

Wrong, With This Weather I Would Never Get Voom. It Says Above The TP That I Am Checking The Sig. (TP1,3,5,7 Spotbeam).Period.

Obviously the sat is conus however something is making his receiver read them as spotbeams. I think the key here is how he's able to still get signal even with the hellacious rain ( I know, I was out working in some of it).

wbuffetta said:
Wrong, With This Weather I Would Never Get Voom. It Says Above The TP That I Am Checking The Sig. (TP1,3,5,7 Spotbeam).Period.

Actually it's quite simple.

When the switched to dish standards they changed the FEC (forward error correction) rate. This is a tweek that plays on the ammount of rain fade the satellite signal is suseptable to. Increasing the rate file reduces the ammount of video bandwidth is available per TP, which is why voom had it much lower.

Remember, you are only seeing TPs 1,3,5,7 when PointDish thinks it's looking at a different satellite. THAT satellite is programmed in the receiver (the NITs) as spotbeams for those transponders.

I can vouch for the Portland signal, I actually lost 110 several times, but 61.5 stayed on, now that's saying something! For some reason, my 61.5 is much stronger than ever, regardless if anything's changed or not, it is a phenomenon you have to sit through to fully appreciate it. :D

DarrellP said:
I can vouch for the Portland signal, I actually lost 110 several times, but 61.5 stayed on, now that's saying something! For some reason, my 61.5 is much stronger than ever, regardless if anything's changed or not, it is a phenomenon you have to sit through to fully appreciate it. :D
Rainbow-1 is a BIG POWERFUL bird. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts