Rainier Encore D9865H

Not if he uplinks his own batch of services in whatever newer encryption he decides to use. Then it only needs to decode that. It likely won't be any of those you mention, since they are all compromised.

That's what I don't like about all the services that re-uplink a package of channels. You always have compression and loss of quality. I wanna see the raw original feeds ;)

Reactions: (((Garyd)))
I know that Ku-band has it's issues but it seems that DTV and DN have been able to make a profit despite the rain fade and snow and ice issues. Getting the existing C-band FTA moved to Ku certainly would be nice. Having a 12 foot C-band dish kinda puts people off to this "hobby". From what I understand, we may have to go to 15 footers in the near future. I'm not willing to spend the money to upgrade or even replace a C-band dish.

I know that Ku-band has it's issues but it seems that DTV and DN have been able to make a profit despite the rain fade and snow and ice issues. Getting the existing C-band FTA moved to Ku certainly would be nice. Having a 12 foot C-band dish kinda puts people off to this "hobby". From what I understand, we may have to go to 15 footers in the near future. I'm not willing to spend the money to upgrade or even replace a C-band dish.

Where did you hear that it may take a 15 footer in the near future?

Where did you hear that it may take a 15 footer in the near future?

Its because of the impending reassignment of part of the C-band for wireless use.

Interference may cause significant signal degradation on smaller dishes and perhaps require an RF fence of sorts, even on larger dishes.

Last edited:
Who is exactly the target customer for the D9865H receivers and what is it capable of receiving, DCCII, PV? Is he programming them himself or is it somehow getting authorization from the content providers or is just receiving FTA content? Given the number of C-band dishes still active how many customers can he possibly have?

Who is exactly the target customer for the D9865H receivers and what is it capable of receiving, DCCII, PV? Is he programming them himself or is it somehow getting authorization from the content providers or is just receiving FTA content? Given the number of C-band dishes still active how many customers can he possibly have?

I believe it descrambles only Powervu.

'Know nothing' suckers are his target customers. I'm not denigrating anybody, just pointing out that most if not all of the "regular" FTA people are wise to him, and would never consider getting one of his systems.

The people that do subscribe through him, are most likely the ones that have had a shut-down c-band system in their back yard for many years, and suddenly decided to find out if it's still usable in some way. They search around, and are unlucky enough to hit on his site, and it all sounds plausible to them.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
My curiosity was directed more toward the actual receiver he is selling. Who is the primary target customer for Cisco? Cable Co? Government for AFN?

My curiosity was directed more toward the actual receiver he is selling. Who is the primary target customer for Cisco? Cable Co? Government for AFN?

Here's a little about Cisco satellite receivers. From what I can remember, Cisco works withing a niche market that supplies data and video to customers such as gas stations, retail stores and other closed data networks. The Exxon stations here did, or used to have, their equipment in house. As far as I know, some of this equipment is still in operation, or at least an updated version.

As you know, Cisco is big into networking products. I have a Cisco 800 Series router running right now on my home network. I was lucky enough to be at the right place, at the right time and saved this one from the roll off dumpster when they tore down the Chevy dealer to make way for a new bank. Great products. :) I'm sure a lot of their products are in operation in some cable suppliers.

Cable systems used to be big into Scientific Atlanta equipment as well. The FORD dealerships around here were using a PrimeStar system back in the day. I kinda lost track of who was using what when I closed our satellite business.

Digital Receivers/Decoders

Someone had emailed that he is now claiming that Rainier has "several thousand" subscribers. So I guess the lies are only getting bigger and more outrageous.

Amazing that two years ago an inside source told me that there were less than a hundred paying subscribers and also heard a separate confiming estimate of how many Cisco receivers had been shipped. Now, less than two years later there are several thousand subscribers?

I call BS on his delusional lie. Drop a zero from this rediculous claim and I wouldn't even believe that number.

Who are these mystery subscribers? Any member know anyone that has or had a Rainier subscription? You would think that members would know someone if there were several thousand or even several hundred subscribers? In the 5 years since the Rainier service was announced, I have only heard of two confirmed subscribers and know one installer that serviced one. In such a small community of satellite enthusiasts, this doesn't add up....

Your thoughts?
Maybe Glen owned USDTV a few years ago lol.

Sent from my SM-G930T using the SatelliteGuys app!

Your dream, their nightmare. I don't think there's enough of a viable pool of people with c-band dishes out there to let a service such as that ever have a profit... I know I wouldn't pay money to sub at this point.
I think the future is bleak for any broadcast tv service. Cable, small dish or antenna over the air. The program providers want everyone on broadband. They want a direct connection to your devices so they can see what you watch when You watch. They watch You while You watch them. Receive only broadcasting will likely die. I even look for FM radio one of these years become mobile broadband service. It's a shame really.

Sent from my SM-G930T using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: LocutusOfBorg