Raleigh HD Locals (WRAL & WRAZ) & EPG Issues

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Pakbackr

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Anyone have any new info on when E* might finalize a deal with Capital Broadcasting on offering WRAL & WRAZ locals in HD? We get the channels OTA with excellent signal, so that's not the issue...its the fact that the program guide appears and disappears without notice. Sometimes all the data appears in the epg, and then without warning, all we get is "digital service" in the epg. I am assuming this is because these two channels are not yet in E*'s HD line-up. The big impact is that my favorite CBS & FOX shows (like 24, Survivor, etc.) often aren't recorded. We recently switched from D* and my wife is kicking my butt because of it. I'm tired of hearing "We never had this problem with Directv!" I hope this issue is resolved soon!

Hrm... I'm east of raleigh, and get channel 5 and 50 ota... The guide info is and has always been fine for those (I subscribe to my areas locals).

What an odd situation.

Hrm... I'm east of raleigh, and get channel 5 and 50 ota... The guide info is and has always been fine for those (I subscribe to my areas locals).

What an odd situation.

Do you have a 622? And do you Sub to HD Locals?
These seem to be two requirements to be afflicted with the problem.

Yes, I have a 622, and I sub to locals... in my city (east of raleigh) they dont have HD locals on dish (although ota, they are hd ..most of them)... I put the ota antenna in the attic and can pull in wral 5 and wraz 50 just fine... even chan 17...

the epg on the 622 shows all the programming for 50.1 ota correctly, same with 5.1

I never have had an isssue getting them on my EPG and I don't subscribe to local Hd. What anntenae did you use in your attic. I keep having my hd ota go in and out and was looking to try something else to see if it works.

I am in the same boat as far as the EPG for WRAL and WRAZ

Yes I have a 622

I really don;t see how the kind of OTA antenna would have anything to do with it, but for what it is worth, I have a Channel Master 3022 (or something) The reception is crystal clear, but that EPG issue is making me mental!!!

I guess what i was saying, is that even though I'm in a different area, and get epg data for raleigh channels that is used for my ota antenna, I've never noticed a problem with that data... I record 24 and prison break fine, and other shows.

I pay for locals via satellite... I only do it cuz it saved me money via dvr advantage, and I wanted the epg data for the ota, because without paying dish it would just say "digital service"

As far as I am aware everyone that is having the EPG problem...
1) has a 622
2) subs to SAT locals
3) gets SAT HD locals from 118.7 (this is the cause of the problem. IMO)

Some how the 622 is smart enough to use the EPG data from the Raleigh locals via SAT for the OTA channels. But gets confused sometime getting EPG data from the Raleigh HD locals via SAT for the OTA channels. This happens whether you get your HD locals from Raleigh or another city.

I seem to notice the issue on Sundays and Mondays most of all. . . .

'Family Guy' and '24' are so unreliable that I have added a manual timer just to make sure I get them in my DVR.

Wonder what that has to do with anything??

BTW, where else could you get locals besides 118.7??

Since I started this thread, thought I would chime in. Yes, I have a 622, and yes I subscribe to HD locals...all two of them in the Raleigh area :)

For what its worth, I also get a very good OTA HD signal for WTVD 11 (ABC) and WNBC 17 (NBC)...and I never ever lose their epg info. I only have the epg issue with WRAL and WRAZ.

Since I started this thread, thought I would chime in. Yes, I have a 622, and yes I subscribe to HD locals...all two of them in the Raleigh area :)

For what its worth, I also get a very good OTA HD signal for WTVD 11 (ABC) and WNBC 17 (NBC)...and I never ever lose their epg info. I only have the epg issue with WRAL and WRAZ.

I think the antenna discussion was off topic and may have confused some.
As the quality of the OTA signal doesn't come in to play since the guide data comes from DISH. That 622 doesn't care how strong your 5.1 or 50.1 are just that you have them and need the EPG data for them.

As far as I am aware everyone that is having the EPG problem...
1) has a 622
2) subs to SAT locals
3) gets SAT HD locals from 118.7 (this is the cause of the problem. IMO)

Some how the 622 is smart enough to use the EPG data from the Raleigh locals via SAT for the OTA channels. But gets confused sometime getting EPG data from the Raleigh HD locals via SAT for the OTA channels. This happens whether you get your HD locals from Raleigh or another city.

yeah that must be it... and i guess that means i'm in no rush to ""MOVE"" to raleigh now either to get hd's off sat.

what stations do you get in hd off sat?

Like jmel, I've never had a problem with this. I'm in Garner and have an antenna in the attic. I've never dropped the programming guide on any of the HD locals. I have a 622 and subscribe to the locals, but I don't get any HD locals over the satellite (don't have the correct dish to hit the 118.7 bird and haven't made the call to get that upgraded yet). This is something I plan on doing in the next few weeks though. I'll be the guinea pig to see if this causes the problem.

yeah that must be it... and i guess that means i'm in no rush to ""MOVE"" to raleigh now either to get hd's off sat.

what stations do you get in hd off sat?

11.1 and 17.1 via SAT. D* recently got a deal with 5 and 50 so E* should be able to do the same.

Like jmel, I've never had a problem with this. I'm in Garner and have an antenna in the attic. I've never dropped the programming guide on any of the HD locals. I have a 622 and subscribe to the locals, but I don't get any HD locals over the satellite (don't have the correct dish to hit the 118.7 bird and haven't made the call to get that upgraded yet). This is something I plan on doing in the next few weeks though. I'll be the guinea pig to see if this causes the problem.

I am pretty sure you will. You might want to consider your options since you will have to start fighting the guide. Manual recordings work, "check switch" will fix temporarily. But nothing will be worse than setting "LOST" or a basketball game to record and waking up to only 30 mins of recording. I will be interested to see if the new software release coming soon has any effect.

I am pretty sure you will. You might want to consider your options since you will have to start fighting the guide. Manual recordings work, "check switch" will fix temporarily. But nothing will be worse than setting "LOST" or a basketball game to record and waking up to only 30 mins of recording. I will be interested to see if the new software release coming soon has any effect.
I haven't lost any Named Based Recordings (or only had 30 min of a 60 min show)... They just show up as 'Digital Recording' or something like that in the Recording listing. One problem I have had is the timers will stop 'firing' after a while for the WRAL channel recordings. I have to delete and re-add the Name Based timers again or I just click on the name of the show in the guide and set a new timer - then I end up with two timers for the same show in my Timer listing, although if you click on each of the two timers, only one will show future recordings scheduled. I end up deleting the one that doesn't show anything coming up.

This only happens for the HD channels that are OTA. My Satellite based locals (ABC and NBC) don't lose their timers at all. Like earlier stated, this would be fixed with manual timers but given WRAL's habit of moving shows to the next morning at like 2AM+ due to college sports broadcasts, I would end up losing a lot of programs.

Yes, it's not perfect but at least with ABC and NBC on Satellite now, I can record and/or watch more than one show that is broadcast at the same time on the different networks in HD. Just have to live in Timer Hell until CBC comes to agreement on carriage with E*.

I haven't lost any Named Based Recordings (or only had 30 min of a 60 min show)...
For me if the generic digital recording splits at say 8:30 and Criminal Minds is on from 8-9 when I set the event it will stop recording at the new EPG split of 8:30.
This only happens for the HD channels that are OTA. My Satellite based locals (ABC and NBC) don't lose their timers at all.
The only channels that should ever be effected by this BUG are CBS 5.1 and FOX 50.1 and you don't get those via SAT. ABC 11.1 and NBC 17.1 should always fire normally.

For me if the generic digital recording splits at say 8:30 and Criminal Minds is on from 8-9 when I set the event it will stop recording at the new EPG split of 8:30.

It's interesting that you say that. When my guide goes to just 'Digital', I see my programs (like Criminal Minds, etc) but they take up 2 digital 30 min slots, one from 9-9:30 and one from 9:30-10:00 pm BUT when the programs are actually recorded, I get just one single program (no title, just the generic Digital) that's one hour long (or 1:01 or 1:03 depending on what's after).

ok so im a noob to dish (always had DTV and dropped them because they are A** holes). Got our new stuff installed and all of the SAT programing is great. We do get locals in SD but not HD via dish. So I busted out a off air HD antenna to hit the locals. To my surprise I get all of them in HD (wow)! Ok now the problem starts. I get 9 off air HD locals and 4 of them just say "Digital Service" dish said that that data is transmitted over the air not VIA the SAT. Is that true or were they giving me the total blow off? / Is there any way to get the guide to fill that in from the EPG data for the locals they broadcast via sat in SD?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)