[RANT] Why is the ViP622 such an upidstay nituay?

slacker9876

Professional Amatuer
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 20, 2004
Spokane, WA
That is "Stupid Unit", for those not speaking pig-Latin. Tonight I missed L&O SVU because I have had to reset the "Timers" 4 times, to allow me to watch my own TV, or so I thought. As I have learned I cannot actually record an OTA program and use my own TV.

Yes, I come from the working world of TiVo.

In Paul Harvey fashion ... and now for the rest of the story.

I have had this unit for about 3 days now. While it is intended to allow the user to watch TV on two televisions, recorded from satellite and OTA, so far everything is a workaround. Unless you desire to watch one show, on the second TV, while nothing is recording. Since I am in the computer industry, I know it is not possible for hardware to be stupid ... there is always a "non-process oriented software developer" in the background, telling the hardware what to do, often quite ineptly. Yes I am saying I cannot watch my nice big screen TV because E* tells me it has to switch from Live TV, thus, negating my recording the current program.

The fact that TiVo has wasted money to sue EchoStar makes me laugh. If everyone released a DVR as crappy as the 622, TiVo would have all DVR subscribers in the United Sates and Canada, Mexico, Uganda, Zimbabwe, Libya and Iran as well as all of Europe … and probably the former USSR. I must say it is a huge step up from the DirecTV HR20-700 that allows you to record 2 SAT programs, 2 OTA programs and watch a previously DVR’ed program and then arbitrarily gives “black screen” while watching a previously DVR’ed program at its discretion all while locking itself up.

The point you ask? The point is that I am pi**ed-off and need to rant.

Why may I not record an OTA program AND watch live TV on MY TV?
Why may I not watch TV on my second TV while a program records on TV2 thus allowing me to watch my primary TV?
Why is the 622 not smart enough to know when TV2 is not in use, when I am on TV1 and automatically switch recording to that “second” tuner?
Why does the 622 make me record a live program on TV1 in order to watch the said program, if an OTA program is recording?

Oh yeah … because it is not a TiVo, and it is upidstay, as I said in the beginning. Heck, at this point I would barely consider it a DVR by TiVo, Microsoft and my standard. Far as I can tell I better get used to my DVD player and Xbox as live TV is out of the question.

Fortunately I was able to find a workaround. Keep DirecTV to watch while EchoStar records or watch EchoStar and use the TiVo (HR10-250) to record all programming. Sounds as reasonable as asking my wife to take my girlfriend to the adult toy store.

GET IT RIGHT DISH! You own me for 18-months and as we all learned from “Fight Club” The things you own end up owning you. Keep that in mind.

You can watch tv on tv1 when recording OTA as long as you are not watching another OTA channel. Did you try changing the channel? OTA can only record on tv1 but you can watch another live program on satellite while it is recording.

Also sounds like you may have tv1 set for primary recording in settings.

It is a shame that the 622 cannot use the other tuner if you are currently watching on the one set to record.

Last edited:
You watch live TV??! Why? :confused: Well, sports I guess. You can record 3 programs and watch 2 recordings at the same time. Try THAT with a Tivo. BTW, do you have "record plus" enabled?

Last edited:
whatchel1 said:
Is the 622 set to have the primary record done on TV2 or TV1?
TV2 is the default, got this from the "OMG, What have I done" thread

scooby2 said:
You can watch tv on tv1 when recording OTA as long as you are not watching another OTA channel. Did you try changing the channel? OTA can only record on tv1 but you can watch another live program on satellite while it is recording.

Also sounds like you may have tv1 set for primary recording in settings.

It is a shame that the 622 cannot use the other tuner if you are currently watching on the one set to record.
Nothing was recording, I started the recording of L&O SVU and then when trying to change channels ... I get the must switch to live TV bit. I know I selected OTA to record because it was yellow in the guide (and I am not a dope) and I have already removed the OTA channels I did not want listed. Obviously the reason I would LIKE to record OTA is the quality, it is the only real HD around.

I verified TV2 as the primary under record plus before I had this fit. The 622 WILL NOT RECORD OTA AND ALLOW LIVE TV ON TV1.

I use a 622, and before that a 942 (and before that a 510 and before a 7100).

When you use a 622/942 with one TV, life is bliss. All of my recordings default to TV2, enabling me to watch whatever I want on TV1.

And if I want to record two E* channels and watch my local OTA HD channel, I can do that too.

I can even record two E* channels, record a local OTA channel, and watch a recorded program all simultaneously.

It doesn't let me record two OTA HD channels at the same time, nor watch one OTA channel while recording another. But I couldn't care less about that, as in two months I haven't recorded a single OTA program. So I never would want to watch or record two OTA channels at the same time.

I must say that at no time in the 11 months that I have had a 942 or 622, have I encountered a single situation where I was not able to record the programs that I wanted to.

So as far as my recording needs go, the 622's feature set has been superb. It would be even nicer if Dish would release the 100GB they've reserved on the 622's drive for their own tripe.

How about Making TV1 the "record plus". Again, why are you watching live TV? I also put the reciever back in single mode when no one is watching TV2. I also have a vip-211 on another set. That one is for sports mostly. The wife hogs the 622 (never watches anything live) and doesn't watch sports.

Last edited:
Don't you get locals in HD off the dish also. We record off the dish
on TV 1 & TV2 while watching OTA. You can't change chanels while
recording by movving up or down you have to go to the guide to
change. IF we are recording ABC on TV 1 and NBC on TV2 we can
watch CBS on TV 1 OTA. You have to have the locals both in blue
and yellow to do this.

I hope that makes sense.

How are you trying to change the channel. If you are recording an OTA and channel up or down, you will hit another OTA and will receive the message you described. Try entering the channel number or use the guide to select the sat channel you want. That should work.

The only way to use a 942 or a 622 is in single mode. Having it in dual mode is silly. it limits it's capability.

If you need TV in another room with programming seperate from the 622 (because others may want to watch somehing else) get another reciever.

Dishlover said:
How about Making TV1 the "record plus". Again, why are you watching live TV? I also put the reciever back in single mode when no one is watching TV2. I also have a vip-211 on another set. That one is for sports mostly. The wife hogs the 622 (never watches anything live) and doesn't watch sports.
Therein lies the problem. I cannot watch the receorded shows without my wife, all the OTA shows are our shows. Today will not be a problem as only the NFL Sunday Ticket will be on in this house (wife again).

HatGuy said:
Don't you get locals in HD off the dish also. We record off the dish on TV 1 & TV2 while watching OTA. You can't change chanels while recording by movving up or down you have to go to the guide to change. IF we are recording ABC on TV 1 and NBC on TV2 we can watch CBS on TV 1 OTA. You have to have the locals both in blue and yellow to do this.

I hope that makes sense.
Yes I get the half-bitrate downrezzed locals off the satellite. That is exactly why I want ro record OTA. If that sounds petty minor, blame the folks at datacolor. Since using their product OTA is like being there in the room ... to the point of being freakie. I feel I should be able to "channel up" since that channel for my situation is a satellite station.

garys said:
How are you trying to change the channel. If you are recording an OTA and channel up or down, you will hit another OTA and will receive the message you described. Try entering the channel number or use the guide to select the sat channel you want. That should work.
I will try that when this happens again as I am sure it will happen again.

NOHDjunkie said:
The only way to use a 942 or a 622 is in single mode. Having it in dual mode is silly. it limits it's capability.

If you need TV in another room with programming seperate from the 622 (because others may want to watch somehing else) get another reciever.
Finally someone admits it! Thank you sir. I did realize this last night and will be calling E* today to re-activate my ViP 211, and run the 622 in single mode. The catch will be getting them NOT TO BILL me for it!

Perhaps someone should send this thread to E*, I'll bet someone here knows their engineering group personally. Tell them the Volkswagen they tried to build is running like a Yugo.

Slacker, its not a stupid unit.

You have OTA AND Dish LIL. Watch record OTA on TV1; watch another Local LIL on TV1, and record something else (anything other than an OTA) on TV2.

Its just about getting used to a different system. I don't think they are "workarounds," rather just RTFM and learn how it works. Then keep asking questions here! :D :D

I guess I wonder how you would expect to watch more in a device with 2 sat HD tuners, and 1 OTA ATSC tuner. Yes, OTA is limited to TV1, which is too bad, but not that big of a deal.

And Its a helluva lot more than a VCR. Lets see you record three things on a VCR at the SAME TIME and watch something else that you previously recorded at the same time!

You've had this unit for 3 days..... Many, if not most or all, of the comments you've made regarding how the 622 works are WRONG. Why not use it for a while and better understand it before you come here and spout off, showing how YOU don't know how to use it yet.

Why may I not record an OTA program AND watch live TV on MY TV? "The 622 WILL NOT RECORD OTA AND ALLOW LIVE TV ON TV1"
Yes, it can.

Why is the 622 not smart enough to know when TV2 is not in use, when I am on TV1 and automatically switch recording to that “second” tuner?
That is the "Record Plus" option and it needs to be enabled.

Why does the 622 make me record a live program on TV1 in order to watch the said program, if an OTA program is recording?
There's different scenarios here. Functionally, it comes down to the hardware, i.e. the number of tuners, that exists in the box, not a "stupid" software design.

Dual mode is super useful!

I came from Tivo also... the 622 is leaps and bounds ahead of the Tivo... having 3 tuners and the ability to share between two TVs is awesome. I had two Tivos before and didn't care for the monthly service fee and then the *transferring* programs from one DVR to another.

It sounds like you still don't know how to use your DVR. I found that TIVO dumbs down everything so when you try to use another DVR that's not TIVO you run into issues (because you are used to using things the TIVO way) give it a month and you'll not miss your TIVO (or the crappy single tuner analog recording) the 622 has some bugs but I've found mine to be more than useful and I am happy with it.

Sounds like a bad case of RTFM!

OK, I am the one who coined "RTFM" in these two threads ... and I read it cover to cover on Friday including the troubleshooting sections. Since the previous posters failed to READ the thread ... here is what you missed:

My record plus is set for TV2
I tried to spot record L&O SVU via OTA and the unit would not allow a channel change without switchting to live TV.
I am used to 4 tuners ... but never used more then 2 concurrently ... ever and TiVo never said " you must switch to live TV, EVER.

Since it is the point of argument, let's keep it at that. MY ViP622 DVR will not record an OTA feed, and allow me to change to a satellite channel, while in dual mode. It does in single-mode, I just tested that.

My next point. I never use TV2 unless:

I want to watch KUSA News from 6-7 am M-F
I want to watch a previously recorded program

I should be able to change chnnels on TV1 at will, without caring what the unit is doing in the background since I only have one overlaping timer.

Oops, I was wrong, KUSA is 9-1 and above it is 9-2. That it why this failed. Unlike others, I will publically admit my mistake :D.

However, it does not change the fact that after using the Dish PVR501 & Ultimate-TV, I did not have to learn TiVo. It just worked, always, without needed to think about what I was doing. Ultimate-TV also worked this well ... and the 622 does not have software this good. Then again ... I was only able to watch my DVR shows on one set with TiVo, until I hacked them and the 622 DVR on TV2 is faster (and better) then TiVo's MRV.

The 622 is what happens when an engineer expects the user to do or know something. Certainly in this day and age, Engineering 101 should point out that users will not and should not be expected to midify behavior to use a product.