[RANT] Why is the ViP622 such an upidstay nituay?

this has been a very entertaining thread.
I've had a 622 since april and love this unit. I use it in dual mode and just had it recording on tuner 2 off SAT, recording OTA on tuner 1 and watched a live feed on SAT whlle my kids are watching a recorded program off the DVR on TV2. Slacker, I have no idea why you can't do this, maybe it's your unit. I love E* user interfaces and find them much more user friendly than TIVO. I will also take the ability to control 2 tvs independently and access the same dvr from both while only having one box over anything D* or TIVO currently offers. I also find TIVO to be annoyingly slow when changing channels (as well as that sound it makes)

Boo-bup! I miss that sound. We'll see where I am at in 3 weeks. Like I said, at least it does not record the shows the like DirecTV HR20 and R15 then give you "black space lockup."

I stand by the statement that the 622 is supid. Users should not have to make the decision of where to record in a triple tuner unit, this decision should be made by the software, allowing the user to do whatever they want. I have had a DVR since 2000 and the only other one I did not like was th PVR501 ... am sensing a pattern here.

Last edited:
"I have a a DVR since 2000 and the only other one I did not like was th PVR501 ... am sensing a pattern here."

Yes, I definitely see the pattern too. You dislike E*'s DVRs and won't give them a chance. You'll always find something wrong with them since you love your Tivo. They are different than Tivos, so expect different functionality and behavior.

slacker9876 said:
TV2 is the default, got this from the "OMG, What have I done" thread

Nothing was recording, I started the recording of L&O SVU and then when trying to change channels ... I get the must switch to live TV bit. I know I selected OTA to record because it was yellow in the guide (and I am not a dope) and I have already removed the OTA channels I did not want listed. Obviously the reason I would LIKE to record OTA is the quality, it is the only real HD around.

I verified TV2 as the primary under record plus before I had this fit. The 622 WILL NOT RECORD OTA AND ALLOW LIVE TV ON TV1.

Just to make sure are you sure you are in single user mode if you are not then you will not be able to change the channel while recording something. You should be able to see this on the view banner if you hit cancel on the bottom left of the banner. Now if you are not in that mode then you can do from the front panel of the receiver by pressing mode.

If you are in single user mode and not able to change the channel then perform swap with remote and now you should be able to change the channel as tuner you are recording is in the background.

Bingo! I also liked UltimateTV better, Microsoft is the master at keeping people from thinking!

I will give the 622 a fair shake, it is eons beyond the PVR501 ... which is stil about as useful as an IBM PC XT

Thanks for letting me rant, we all have to do it !

I think you misinterpreted the phrase "switch to live TV". It does not mean that it is stopping the recording, if it is proposing to stop recording it will say exactly that.

It means that on the output you are watching, you have paused or skipped back in time and are not seeing "live" TV.

Anytime you are viewing TV "in the past", i.e. after a pause or skip back, it must jump to the present time to change channels.

Lets straighten something out. TV1 and TV2 are OUTPUTS not tuners, not inputs. The 622 has 3 tuners, OTA ATSC, SAT1 and SAT2. OTA ATSC and SAT1 are viewed live on Output TV1. SAT2 is viewed live on output TV2. This is in Dual mode with record plus enabled. Either output may view any recorded item. The 622 can do up to 5 operations simultaneously, 3HD recordings using OTA ATSC, SAT1 and SAT2 AND play a HD recording to output TV1 and play a downrezzed recording in SD on TV2. Live viewing can be substituted for any one of the three HD recordings mentioned, but it also ties up one output.

Last edited:
Well in the computer world, if the equipment is working, then it's operator error!:D

I believe the last 2 responses covers it all, especially with a few comments earlier. Since the beginning of this thread, I suspected you were in Single Mode, it took me 3 or 4 days to figure out that the 622 was in Single Mode (default shipping?) and how to change it to Dual Mode, then I had to program both TV1 and TV2. However, recently you said you switch from Dual to Single to test it, and then back again - so that shouldn't be it.

Although I can read, I'm from Louisiana and don't read to fast, so I read every other line in this thread, so I may have missed something, but here's another comment.

I don't think Bill Gates convinced Charlie to program the ViP622 to detect an OTA Digital Antenna, then scan for all the Local Channels, then ask the User - do you want the OTA channels or the Satellite channels to appear on your local list. Therefore, after you connected the OTA antenna, did you go through and program the ViP622 so that it detected the locals and are now displaying those channels? If not, then your locals are Sat channels and you can either record 1 or wach 1, both not both on the same tuner.
Bingo! I also liked UltimateTV better, Microsoft is the master at keeping people from thinking!
Yea, you got that right; which is the reason I use to have to go behind the Microsoft Certified Systems Engineers (MCSE) and correct their mistakes, i.e., they were learned that with MS products, you just take the defaults, and therefore would not read the installation documents.

Last edited:
Well, looking at your other thread, maybe you did program it. So maybe your antenna system is not functioning properly, so the 622 won't record properly.

Guess I'll go stay at a Holiday Inn Express and have an answer for you tomorrow.

EDIT: Even though it may be new or refurb, maybe you have a bad 622.

Last edited:
Jim nailed it ... misinterpretation. Since nothing records today I have been messing with it. setting up crap I don't want to watch then switching around. I put the unit in dual mode FOR THE INSTALLER and it's sat there ever since, other than the SM test I did this morning. I am catching on now and like I said I admit when I am wrong.

Funny observation I run Linux on my PC's because I like the control and stability along with the added security and "questionable" products that may not be legal in the US :) ... TiVo is Linux based, and I like it because it doesn't make me think ... oh the irony.

And for whoever spouted off I am an MCSE ... FROM THE 3.51 ERA ... not all of us are dullards, just the booksmart ones. Experience counts in everything, including the 622.

It is the way to go. Too bad they are shut-in comparatively. I hooked up to my Ethernet port this weekend on the 622 used nmap and ethereal and the port has power only. I saw that webpage and was like huh ... busybox ...

garys said:
Eithernet port is not yet active on any dish receiver. Manual states 'For Future Use'.
Right, but usually even when under power only the adapter sends and receives ARP requests ... they have configured iptables to a non-responsive mode ... heck they might have ipcop on there too, just to avoid service discovery.

Probably is on a different subnet than 192.* also and that was all I scanned. But if there is a hardcoded-IP I should have seen that in promiscuous mode.

Last edited:
garys said:
Eithernet port is not yet active on any dish receiver. Manual states 'For Future Use'.
Considering what the "VIP" in the model name stands for, it would be awfully embarrasing to Dish if they never end up enabling that.... For now, they should just call these "DVR622" units, not "ViP622".

hall said:
Considering what the "VIP" in the model name stands for, it would be awfully embarrasing to Dish if they never end up enabling that.... For now, they should just call these "DVR622" units, not "ViP622".
Really the unit is DVR962 - check Scott's pictures; it was last minute marketing hype to rename it to ViP622. :)

slacker9876, do a search for this guide it may help you determain how to setup your 622:

RecordingPref_for_DualTunerReceivers3.pdf

If you can't find it let me know and I can send it to you.

Mike

Correct search title

The search on the Dish website is Recording Preferences for Dual Tuner Receivers. It will bring up the pdf for several dual tuner receivers. The first one is 522.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)