Status
Please reply by conversation.

fred555

Pub Member
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 18, 2014
77W
In celebration of our fourth birthday, we thought it would be fun to release something new. Accordingly, Raspberry Pi 3 is now on sale for $35 (the same price as the existing Raspberry Pi 2), featuring:

• A 1.2GHz 64-bit quad-core ARM Cortex-A53 CPU (~10x the performance of Raspberry Pi 1)
  • Integrated 802.11n wireless LAN and Bluetooth 4.1

IMG_4090-500x334.jpg

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspberry-pi-3-on-sale/

Wonder how long it will be until they have a 64 Bit OS made available for it?

I ordered two of them this morning which was perfect timing as I was giving the OK to order two Raspberry Pi 2's over the weekend for a project I am working on. The project will get 2 PI 2's and I will get two new Pi 3's. :D :D

Yep, I ordered one this morning soon as I saw the news from Element 14. :)

Ordered two. One will be used as a Kodi box on my bedroom TV. The other one will be for play. I'm going to mess around with Ubuntu MATE and its classic GNOME 2 look. If that works out OK It might wind up being a lightweight desktop computer for my sister. She just needs something to check e-mail and Word Processor / Spreadsheet use (LibreOffice).

Reactions: KE4EST and fred555
Using the NOOBS card that came with it (a 16 GB instead of 8 GB) I tried loading OpenElec for the PI 2 on it and it wouldn't load. Tired a few other things and they wouldn't work either. I did get Windows 10 for PI loaded on it, but its not a functional version of Windows 10, only one you can develop programs on.

I then loaded OBMC which was listed as a media center for the PI 2. And that worked. What OBMC is was just a custom skined version of Kodi and that works fine. Once it loaded up I made the skin back to the default Confluience skin for Kodi. After that loaded up the HDHOMERUN software and am happy to report full HD from my HD Homerun Prime works great on the PI3! The PI2 would play the HD streams but have trouble with them with studdering and freezing at times. The PI 3 plays them with no problem.

BTW before I started playing the NOOBS card was loaded with Raspbian, and for some reason it could not find the WIFI or Bluetooth which is supposed to be built in the PI 3. I am guessing this is happening because there are no new builds supporting the PI 3 yet.

I am impressed with its power to watch full screen live HD without any issues.

BTW before I started playing the NOOBS card was loaded with Raspbian, and for some reason it could not find the WIFI or Bluetooth which is supposed to be built in the PI 3. I am guessing this is happening because there are no new builds supporting the PI 3 yet.
Yeah, been reading this on other forums. There is not a version out yet to support the on-board WiFi and Bluetooth. Openelec is also working on a new version for the 64-bit architecture.
Also saw a video of a guy comparing the 2 and the 3 with HD stuff and noted how smoothly the 3 played the HD and even bringing up menus and stuff while it played in the background and it did not choke.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts