SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
Rave-HD: Rave in Concert : Cyndi Lauper 9pm EST

cyndilauper.jpg

Soundstage: Cyndi Lauper
Watch as she performs new music off her most recent album, At Last — plus classics like 'Time After Time' and 'True Colors.' Premieres September 3 @ 9PM EDT.

Rave-HD: Rave in Concert : John Mayall and The Bluesbreakers Featuring Eric Clapton (Musical) 10pm EST

mayall.jpg

After 38 years, the historic partnership of John Mayall and Eric Clapton comes together again in Liverpool to celebrate Mayall's 70th birthday and benefit UNICEF.

Rave-HD: Rave in Concert : Montreux Jazz Festival: The Best of 2003 (Musical) 12am EST

montreuxjazz_188x106.jpg

Montreux Jazz Festival: The Best of 2003
Featuring: Radiohead, The Pretenders, Bonnie Raitt, Van Morrison and many more

Cyndi Lauper? Holy sh*t

Perhaps it is this the concert where she opened her mouth to hit a high note and a bird crapped right into it. That would be impressive in hi-def

Nice concerts, but Rave-HD material? Certainly not!

Sorry guys, but as much as I like Rave...they really haven't live up to their namesake; the artists have largely not been rave material. Merriam-Webster defined Rave as being:

1 a : to talk irrationally in or as if in delirium b : to speak out wildly c : to talk with extreme enthusiasm

2 : to move or advance violently

Cindy Lauper, Cheryl Crow, Peter Cetera and others---while certainly fine artists---do not motivate me to crank up the volume on my Yamaha amps nor drive me to state of delirium. The kind of artists we need to see on Rave are: Metallica, Ozzy, Motorhead, Sevendust, Black Label Society, Ted Nugent. Now, this is something worth raving about.

The (my) common denominator for determining artists to be aired on this channel is: "Does this artist make me want to crank up the volume on my Yamaha RX-V3300 and turn on my Yamaha M-70 amp in order to drive my 4 Klipsch KLF-30, 2 KLF-10, and a KLF-C7 speakers?" If not, they simply shouldn't be on Rave-HD IMO. Perhaps they should create a Groove-HD, Mellow-HD or Tunes-HD.

The sound on Rave-HD is excellent, but there has been very little desire for me to "Turn up the Volume" like the commercial says. And there are only so many times you can watch Cheap Trick! I also love symphony and opera, but I certainly don't consider this Rave-HD material.

Cindy Lauper - "Girls just wanna have fun." Rave? Delirium? Advance violence? No!

Cheryl Crow - "All I wanna do, is have some fun." Rave? Delirium? Advance violently? I think not!

Peter Cetera - "The next time I fall in love it will be with you." Rave? Delirium? Advance violently? Oh, hell no!

Anyway, VOOM needs to place programming on this channel that meets with its namesake and is "in tune" with the Rave-HD trailer being shown on INVOOM channel 999.

"Metallica, Ozzy, Motorhead, Sevendust, Black Label Society, Ted Nugent."

It is not a question of whether Rave-HD does not want to put these on or not. It is a question of the HD material availability, copyright protection, and negotiation on licenses. HD material is not yet available in abundance for all these artists. As HD becomes more available there will more HD material to the liking of everyone but for now there's not much available.

P.S. Music Video (or concert) in HD it is at a crawling stage right now.

Sean,

I will concede this is largely due to a lack of programming material and I'm sure we will eventually see more HD music choices. However, I wanted to point out that Rave-HD...well, it largely has nothing to do with Rave. Personally, I don't know why VOOM doesn't grab a couple of it's Sony HD cameras and record some of the excellent club bands they have in the NY area. What local band wouldn't want free national exposure? This an easy and inexpensive way to add programming to the lineup. Like I said, there are only so many times you can watch Cheap Trick...

If any of your agree, please send a request to VOOM Customer Support: http://voom.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/voom.cfg/php/enduser/cci/std_cont.php?page=null

Again, Rave-HD rocks!!! It just doesn't Rave!!!

P.S. Voom appears to actually be reading and acting upon these requests. That's one nice things about having so few subs...we certainly have a much louder voice.

riffjim4069 said:
Sorry guys, but as much as I like Rave...they really haven't live up to their namesake; the artists have largely not been rave material. Merriam-Webster defined Rave as being:

1 a : to talk irrationally in or as if in delirium b : to speak out wildly c : to talk with extreme enthusiasm

2 : to move or advance violently
I agree with you 100% -- and imagine my surprise when I found out that DivineHD is NOT dedicated to films "of, relating to, emanating from, or being the expression of a deity"! :shocked

Seriously, though I do agree that some more ..uh.. rockin'-er bands would be welcome, but I ain't gonna worry too much if something fits a definition. But wouldn't mind seeing some actual raves - y'know those all-night techno and house fests with the kids goin' nuts with their glow sticks? And how 'bout some more hip-hop? More variety in general, I guess -- and enough with the Cheap Trick already!

I cranked it up on Cyndi...

riffjim4069 said:
...Cindy Lauper, Cheryl Crow, Peter Cetera and others---while certainly fine artists---do not motivate me to crank up the volume on my Yamaha amps nor drive me to state of delirium...
...and rocked all the way through Mayall and Clapton.

BTW, most of those bands you named would give their left n#$ to be able to play like Clapton. ;)

I would love to see the Nuge in HD.:yes

I didn't catch Mayall and Clapton recently, but Clapton is certainly a legend...more Clapton, less Lauper. It would sweet if VOOM would transfer vintage footage of Clapton (Cream days), Terrible Ted (Intensity in Ten Cities days) and several others! The only problem is the video footage and audio tracks are probably of poor quality.

Perhaps Ted would agree to let VOOM record one of his shows just for the opportunity to market his wares (TV show, magazine, albums, merchandise) - it's a win-win situation.

Was finally able to catch some of the Cyndi Lauper - the last half-hour or so. I'm really not a fan of hers, but thought the show was actually pretty good. The PQ was excellent - up to the stunning Soundstage standard. And the sound was reproduced very well too. It's just the actual music I'm not crazy about. Ol' Cyndi's actually aging pretty well - though she's still pretty damned unusual! Lots of energy and sure tries to put on a show. But must she always be making those stupid faces?

Although the sound was great, I noticed that there was not voice in the center channel. Voice was routed through the front L/R. Anybody else notice that?

Walter L. said:
Although the sound was great, I noticed that there was not voice in the center channel. Voice was routed through the front L/R. Anybody else notice that?
Yeah. I watched the beginning of it today and you're right - just a little reverb of her voice in the center and everything else to the fronts. Huh - sounds just fine though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts