Raycom v. Dish

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Does anyone think that it is just a coincidence that the Raycom deadline is August 4th, which is the same date that the Flex Pack officially becomes available, providing an easy way to drop the locals from our subscription?

Yes, just a coincidence. The Tribune dispute affects more stations and customers.

The Flex Pack has been in the works for months, it's not something just thrown together recently.

After the 8 day dispute in 2013, three's hope that Raycom has a better feel for what Dish will agree to and agree before it expires, or at eats agree on a continuation option (like the one Tribune turned down).

I don't understand why company's like this choose to charge Dish for re-broadcasting their signal. Does it cost the stations anything to let Dish re-broadcast the signal? Does it cost Dish anything to re-broadcast the signal except for the charges to carry it? Can anyone clue me in on this?

Reactions: jamesjimcie
That I understand but why are they allowed to get away with it?

how can you stop them?
providers want the locals for the customers.
a provider cant re-transmit without the consent of the local
locals want money to allow providers to carry them
provider wants to pay as little as possible

local gets hung up on the free money

I don't understand why company's like this choose to charge Dish for re-broadcasting their signal.

Because congress bowed to the Broadcaster's Association.

Does it cost the stations anything to let Dish re-broadcast the signal? Does it cost Dish anything to re-broadcast the signal except for the charges to carry it?

Yes, but it varies. If the signal is from the station, then the station has some cost to maintain the link.
But that usually shared across all the cable/SAT companies.
Could be no cost if the OTA was picked up via antenna for uplink/distribution (which is how cable companies did it for years).

Dish (and others) have most of the cost. Getting the signal to their facilities for uplink plus the satellite bandwidth has a cost
Managing the accounts (who can get what) has a cost. The OPG data has a cost.

Because congress bowed to the Broadcaster's Association.

Dish (and others) have most of the cost. Getting the signal to their facilities for uplink plus the satellite bandwidth has a cost
Managing the accounts (who can get what) has a cost. The OPG data has a cost.

I suspected as much. What could we do to persuade congress to put a stop to the local stations (or their parent company's) greed?

Dish Could Pull Raycom Stations Thursday Night
Already embroiled in retransmission fight with Tribune, Dish could black out 56 Raycom stations Thursday if the two companies don’t strike a deal by 6 p.m.

“We are currently negotiating with Dish to avoid them removing (Raycom stations) from their system,” Raycom said on its websites. “Unfortunately, a very small number of carriers, like Dish have started making our business negotiation your problem.”

Dish posted its side of the story on the web as well.
http://www.broadcastingcable.com/di...604?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Except it wouldn't be a free feed at all. Both sides know going in, and we do too, that Dish and Raycom will come to some deal and that deal would include retroactive pay to Raycom for the new agreed upon price. Raycom knows it, Dish knows it and I know it, so it is just Raycom being the jackasses they have always been.

Sent from my samus using Tapatalk

Dish facing potential blackout as Raycom talks near deadline
Dish Network faces a 6 p.m. EST deadline to make a deal with station group Raycom, or it risks being blacked out on another 56 local network affiliates.

Raycom began posting blackout warnings on its websites. "We are currently negotiating with Dish to avoid them removing (our signals) from their system. Unfortunately, a very small number of carriers, like Dish, have started making our business negotiation your problem,” the notices say.
http://www.fiercecable.com/cable/di...nds&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)