re-activated Voom DSR-550

tdm850

Original poster
Jan 24, 2006
Hi,
I just purchased an as-is DSR-550 and planed to used it as an OTA HD receiver for my HD-ready tv. It has a smart card in it as well. However, once I set it up, the screen showed the unit serial number and said the unit need to be asctivate with an 800 number.
Can someone experienced show me how to get it re-activated? Am I getting a dud?

Thanks in advance.

There is no way to reactivate it. It was only possible back when VOOM DBS was in business. Return the box to the seller immediately, if it is still possible, or just through it away. Sorry to bring you the bad news. I wish you checked this forum earlier. :(

Welcome to the forum!

I will let others chime in but it sounds to me like you have a unit that is not activated and therefore a dud. If you check the sticky on the Voom unit it outlines the conditions for buying a usable unit including making sure it was activated (and not killed when the satellite business went down) and also knowing the parental code. I've bought two units on ebay that worked fine but I had to make sure that they were activated.

If you get stuck with the box - don't toss the remote. It is valuable to other Voom users as well as 4DTV / Starchoice users. I found out the hard way that my 4DTV and Voom boxes share codes :).

If nothing else, you might be able to re-coop some of what you paid for the box by selling off the remote.

Shawn95GT said:
If you get stuck with the box - don't toss the remote. It is valuable to other Voom users as well as 4DTV / Starchoice users. I found out the hard way that my 4DTV and Voom boxes share codes :).

If nothing else, you might be able to re-coop some of what you paid for the box by selling off the remote.

Also hold onto the plug-in OTA module. Keep the box itself, as others are working on hacking the software. they might need a "dead" box to experiment on.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts