Re-aligning Dish 500

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

kdarcangelis870

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 5, 2005
I was over at a friends house today and asked him about any problems he has been having with his dish network system. He told me that he loses signal even in the lightest rainfall. So I checked his signal strength. 61.5 was 105-115 on all transponders, but 110/119 were very low, about 70-75 on most transponders. I probably need to re-align the dish, but one thing I am not sure of is if the plumb is dead level. The idiot that installed the system only used one bolt in the center of the mast, so I think the pole might have turned. Anyway, I am wondering which side of the lnb should I use to align it with my signal meter? I think I have heard to use the 119 side, but I am not sure.

You realign with 119 port. If it's on a post, my suggestion is to try and relevel the pole, dig out about a foot of dirt around the pole. Find something, such as zip ties, to put around the pole and then put quick crete (concrete) all the way around so it settles. You don't have to mix it, just put water and the concrete in a hole. It will dry within an hour. Then reaim the dish. It doesn't have to be perfectly dry-just be gentle with it.

The Dish is located on the edge of the roof, like the one in the picture below. I won't be able to work on it untill tomorrow though.

Attachments

• LOS-3-sat.jpg
    LOS-3-sat.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 240
Today I got a little better signal strength on my meter by turning the azimuth a little on the dish. The 322 gets 100s-115s now but the 522 gets 80s-85s. The cable runs are less than 50 feet from the dish, but the "professional" installer used wire staples instead of cable clips, so I think it might be a cabling issue for the 522.

Yeah, you are going to get a little different readings on different receivers but I wouldn't think that much. I don't have a 522, but I think some of the receivers have a range that only goes to 100 (or maybe that is just for the OTA reception?). Hopefully someone else can tell you for sure. How old is the cable that goes to the 522? Was any part of it already there? It is possible that you are losing signal strength if it isn't high quality cable, but that is a pretty short run to lose that much.

try swapping 522 with 322 see what happens. if you have bad connection it may drop or each set of connections if i remember right you lose 8 db

And 85 on a 100 scale is about 110 on a 125 scale. Both are good enough that unless you live in a very snowy area, you'll only lose signal in the heaviest of rain/hail.

i have a 721 and the scale for signal strenght only goes to 100. I get between 80 and 98 depending on time of day, transponder, input 1 or 2, sat 110 or 119, etc. I never lose signal, even in heavy LA rains, but we don't get snow.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)