RE: Atlanta HD Quality

mbetts

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 12, 2003
For those of you who are currently receiving the Atlanta locals in HD via E*, how does it compare with OTA? Are you having many issues? I currently have D* and have been really disappointed with the glitches and quality. I'm considering cable, OTA, E* or a combination.

OTA seems to be a little better (sharper) quality to my eyes than the HD Locals from Dish, but I think it is very subjective. if my wife had tuned into the Dish HD local I probably wouldn't notice that the picture wasn't as good as OTA, but switching back and forth there is a small difference in sharpness.

I agree with the above post. This picture is quite good. The problem I have is with 129. There is constent drop outs. The installer spent 45 minutes getting the best signal he could, but its still only about 65 to 70 with a lot of signal drop outs. If you can get good OTA I would go that route.

Also, remember that if you're watching OTA you're not getting the encode/decode effects that are inevitable through the Dish equipment.

Last edited:
My OTA Atl locals to me are much clearer, I'm in Buckhead near Lenox Square so real close to downtown and to me....OTA is better, I can tell a difference, but E* only has the big 4 networks, OTA has many more, and clearer w/ no audio delay!! :D Just get the right OTA antenna!!

I should have also said, that the the locals off of 129 cut out for me also and are totally unusable with any rain (or thunderclounds). The signal from 129 is weak and drops out (I get 55-60 on a 129 peaked dish 1000)

I am way late to this thread but I wanted to see if any of you Atlanta HD local subscribers are still having issues with Dish's local feeds? I am in Gainesville, so OTA is really not an option. The picture quality seems okay (just okay!) but the video/audio sync is really terrible, especially on WXIA. I just got my 622 about 2 weeks ago, so I am fishing to make sure I don't have a bad receiver. All other HD seems to be fine.

Davis

I cannot acutally compare OTA vs Dish in regards to Atlanta HD (because I am in Michigan), but I do sub to Atlanta HD LIL via E* and I can say that, IMO, the 1080i's look pretty darn shoddy, with a good amount of lip sync problems also..

The 720p's look pretty darn perfect to me though, although they do also feature the wonderful lip sync issues...

The only one of the 4 channels I get OTA here in Northern Michigan is NBC, and it pretty much puts The Atlanta HD LIL version to shame, IMO..

Oh well, Im just really happy to have a decent FOXHD setup for football season and baseball playoffs..That alone makes me fairly happy :)

EDIT: Just as an amusing sidenote, transponder 16 that the Atlanta HD LILS are carried on is pretty much my highest signal transponder on the 129 here in Northern Michigan..I get consistent mid to high 70 readings on that transponder and have zero problems with reception of Atlanta HD LIL..I do have other transponders that give me a good amount of hassle though, namely 22 and 30..

Strange that they dont find the most compatible transponder for the Atlanta area and put the HD Lils there instead of 16?

Last edited:
Davis W said:
I am way late to this thread but I wanted to see if any of you Atlanta HD local subscribers are still having issues with Dish's local feeds? I am in Gainesville, so OTA is really not an option. The picture quality seems okay (just okay!) but the video/audio sync is really terrible, especially on WXIA. I just got my 622 about 2 weeks ago, so I am fishing to make sure I don't have a bad receiver. All other HD seems to be fine.

Davis
I switched to E* and got OTA hooked up. You may be able to get OTA in Gainesville. I'm in Auburn, barely in Gwinnett County, and have been able to get OTA quite well with an indoor antenna. Give Cliff at Atlanta Antenna a call and see what he thinks.

Guys,

Thanks for the responses. I am certainly less than impressed with the quality. I guess I have to be patient that there is a learning curve and some tweaking to mpeg 4, but Dish is certainly happy to charge the full amount for the programming right now, so I expected more.

I would like to see if I could pick up some but not hopeful for WXIA. Which antenna did you go with?

I think it's a channel master although i'm not sure which model. I just went with the one Cliff at Atlanta Antenna recommended. He did have to hook up an amplifier to pull in WXIA but the antenna is not that big (it's all sitting on a shelf inside my garage). I've had him put an antenna in my attic before when I lived in Suwanee. No problem.:up

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)