Re-flash a dead box

Status
Please reply by conversation.

sharris

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 7, 2004
Calgary area
I thought I would share an experience with all of you who have possibly purchased a box for dirt cheap like I did. I purchased a used fortec approx 3 months ago (44$), but never had time to fire it up until about 2 weeks ago. To my dismay, the box was dead on arrival (Fortec Lifetime Ultra), so I figured hey, probably a hacked box and just needs a reflash (I also tried to get my money back, but it wasn't worth the hastle). Well talk about a pain in the rear. I have flashed my digiwave using old Nagra 1 bins, just for the added features like USALS and AC3 and didn't have a problem. As for the fortec, just to find a good solid (non-hack) TRUE FTA bin out there good for FTA in a Jtag configuration was difficult at best (I tried a regular bin off of fortec site and it wouldn't program thru a jtag..another lesson I learned from this experience). I finally found one, albiet thru a semi-hack site. Oh, forgot to mention, i had to buy a jtag cable. Never did anything like this before, but it seemed pretty straight forward. Wholly cow, talk about a learning curve...using software that I've never used before. Took me numerous attempts and experiments to get the thing going, finally after about 6 hours (not continuous but over about 3 days), it worked. All in all for a box that cost me $40+ dollars, a jtag cable that might come in handy if a power surge hits and corrupts a chip $15, for $55 bucks it was worthwhile, considering a new box is about $130. Like I always say, you learn something new everyday. FYI, this is not for a newb, so if you re-flash a box with new OEM from the manufacturers site or reviving a dead box, read and ask questions and then read some more or talk to someone who has done it before. Oh ya one more thing......I wondered why the fortec was so cheap........ guess I found out.

sharris said:
I thought I would share an experience with all of you who have possibly purchased a box for dirt cheap like I did. I purchased a used fortec approx 3 months ago (44$), but never had time to fire it up until about 2 weeks ago. To my dismay, the box was dead on arrival (Fortec Lifetime Ultra), so I figured hey, probably a hacked box and just needs a reflash (I also tried to get my money back, but it wasn't worth the hastle). Well talk about a pain in the rear. I have flashed my digiwave using old Nagra 1 bins, just for the added features like USALS and AC3 and didn't have a problem. As for the fortec, just to find a good solid (non-hack) TRUE FTA bin out there good for FTA in a Jtag configuration was difficult at best (I tried a regular bin off of fortec site and it wouldn't program thru a jtag..another lesson I learned from this experience). I finally found one, albiet thru a semi-hack site. Oh, forgot to mention, i had to buy a jtag cable. Never did anything like this before, but it seemed pretty straight forward. Wholly cow, talk about a learning curve...using software that I've never used before. Took me numerous attempts and experiments to get the thing going, finally after about 6 hours (not continuous but over about 3 days), it worked. All in all for a box that cost me $40+ dollars, a jtag cable that might come in handy if a power surge hits and corrupts a chip $15, for $55 bucks it was worthwhile, considering a new box is about $130. Like I always say, you learn something new everyday. FYI, this is not for a newb, so if you re-flash a box with new OEM from the manufacturers site or reviving a dead box, read and ask questions and then read some more or talk to someone who has done it before. Oh ya one more thing......I wondered why the fortec was so cheap........ guess I found out.

I bought 2 dead Fortec Ultras off of Ebay . I googled all over the internet .

I downloaded instructions for a simple JTag cable , cost less than $ 5 to make .

I downloaded the instructions to JTag .

I downloaded all the software .

All this in the time period that I was waiting for the Big Brown Truck to arive .

I was fortunate enough to get them both back to factory fresh the night of the day UPS delivered them .

You find any more cheap Ultras , let me know . I have some Spanish speaking friends at work that would enjoy some of the FTA Spanish channels .

Wyr

Once you have repaired these back to factory default with legit firmware, are you able to upgrade via the rs232 port (for future firmware and channel info)? Or are you stuck using the jtag for the life of the receiver?

scottc98 said:
Once you have repaired these back to factory default with legit firmware, are you able to upgrade via the rs232 port (for future firmware and channel info)? Or are you stuck using the jtag for the life of the receiver?

Best I remember , on an Ultra , you jtag it with the jtag bin file ( think this is the first part of its " operating system " ) .

You use RS 232 serial cable & flash it with the boot file -> boot60.bin ( think this is the second part of its " operating system " ) . This used to be avalable on Fortec's web site . There may be a newer boot than boot 60 , but it works .

You use RS 232 serial cable & flash it with what ever is name of the factory " flash " file ( think this is the third part of its " operating system " ) . This used to be avalable on Fortec's web site .

Do a google search for Fortec's web site .

This is what I remember , been quite a while ago . They have been working like a champ ever since .

You can use a channel list program , download a FTA list . But you are usually better off blind scanning . You screw up with the channel list and you will be back to trying to fix your receiver .

Wyr

Status
Please reply by conversation.