This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Re installing BUD on new site..arrrrgh

Status
Please reply by conversation.

RLDSL

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 27, 2004
We moved about a year ago and I pulled my complete BUD system and brought it with ( although I never located half the ribbon wire I dug up, and my loving wife managed to stuff my receivers into unmarked boxes and shuffle them off to the bottom level in the storage room somewhere, so basically, I'm starting from scratch here.
I decided to upgrade to digital receiver ,picked up a Viewsat vs2000 cheap, and got a digital motor controller, since I no longer have that nifty analog unit with the controller built in,, decided to get one of those combined C, ku band lnbf w the disqc switching, am unsure if it works or if its just not setup right, no instructions with it and having a time finding a station..
That said, if its a dud ( I'm about to pop my old extra C band on to test) I'll be looking. To other option asit looks like my warranty is likely useless since the phone at the lnbf co was disconnected,
Soo....if trying to put together a dual C/ku system can this be done with pll digital lnbs on a dual feed horn without a corotor so everything can be controlled by the digitally switching, or is there some other way to go about it?
(And just for giggles, we now live in a place with tremendous magnetic interference, so every compass reading is at least a20 deg off from the last and even GPS locating equipment gous wonky here ...the yard is going to look like a spiderweb of coloured strings time we finish to get a proper location on things
Thanks

Soo....if trying to put together a dual C/ku system can this be done with pll digital lnbs on a dual feed horn without a corotor so everything can be controlled by the digitally switching, or is there some other way to go about it?
Yes, this is what I do. I have a Bullseye II feedhorn and 4 PLL LNBs. Switching is accomplished with a powered multi-switch.

I would recommend a different receiver. The VS is DVBS (QPSK) only and most of the good stuff is DVBS2 (8PSK)
If you want a satellite dish controller that will work with everything, look at the Titanium Satellite ASC1

Reactions: pdiddy and fred555
On the compass issue, Once you figure out some sat positions, put up marker stones or something as reference points for true south, 101W, etc, so you don't have to mess with the damn compasses. I have the same problem here, compasses and some GPS equipment, just don't work. Once in a blue moon a compass will read right here, most times the needle will bounce back and forth or be off.

This is my true south marker, I've got four others at different points and between them all, it's pretty easy to figure out where I am on the arc.

If you by chance have a night vision security camera setup, do you get massive interference in that?

On ours here, we get like what you see in the picture above. It'll start out small, swirling back and forth and will sometimes get to the point where you can't really see much off anything, looks kinda like a weird snowstorm. It's kinda neat and pretty to watch, but real annoying if it's going on and you want to see what's going on outside with the cameras. It's not the cameras either, they've been tested at other locations and work fine there.

Reactions: Titanium
"looks kinda like a weird snowstorm"
That's really weird! Better call Mulder and Sculley...

Looks like cigarette smoke.

Looks like cigarette smoke.

I don't have anything set up to record off of those cameras, but I'll try and set something up. We have them hooked to a quad RF modulator so anywhere in the house we can switch to a TV channel for each and see outside.

On moving video and not a still picture like in the post above, you can tell it's not cigarette smoke, the still picture is very misleading in that it shows streams, rather than the snow effect. Hard to describe, I will figure out something to record it with. It may take a bit of time, it doesn't occur every night.

"looks kinda like a weird snowstorm"
That's really weird! Better call Mulder and Sculley...

God no, I have had to chase "ghost hunter" retards out of here, believe it or not. Don't need them too.

Reactions: Cham
At least I'm glad I'm not the only one with crazy interference.. Heck, I have to set my atomic clock on eastern time zone for it to give me an accurate çentral time here , everything goes wacky. It does kind of look like I'm going to have to invest in a new receiver, as my 10 yeah old bounced my remote off hard floor rendering it useless, and for the 30 $ plus shipping for a questionabl remote, might as well just be a new unit

There's an Amiko A3 receiver for sale in the classifieds here on site. I think it's $130 shipped to your door.

That's a killer price, for a receiver that can darn near do everything... I have one myself.

Yeah, here's the ad if you are interested: http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/threads/fs-amiko-a3-black.352174/

That is my ad. I found that I didn't use the internet based things very much, and preferred my MicroHD and I am trying a HDVR3500 too, so I wasn't using this Amiko. It is like new. Never used it much at all.

Thanks so much for pointing that out. I sent payment for that critter this morning! Looks like it will be less headache in the long run.

Read up on it, and the FIRST thing you do after unboxing and powering it up, is make multiple backups using several different usb drives. Just make sure you have several, because if something happens to it, it's your only method of recovery short of sending it back to the dealer.

Reactions: Bongu
When you say USB drive, is that meaning flash drive or external laptop drive housing, or external burner or??? Pardon my ignorance but you are talking to someone who cut his teeth on Fortran and punch cards, with insane collections of hardware around here, but I find if I take a break for a year or so, everything seems to change purpose

I mean any handy portable drive(s) that you have access to, that will plug in and interface to the A3. You save a copy of the system backup to multiple drives, to reduce the chance of any particular drive going bad, and losing your backup.

These will work for backups, and then copy off to your PC too.

Sounds great, I'm heading into the city tomorrow, office depot usually has some of those on sale. Thanks

Reactions: fred555
I would B/U to a thumb drive and then save the file to a CD or DVD or something non volitile... Also keep a backup of your satellite data etc in case you have to do a re-set.

Reactions: fred555
I lucked out yesterday, office depot had a deal, 1 tb portable drive with a 16g flash drive for 60 bucks, then the unit gets here and I find there is a slot for an internal drive, so I scavenger a brand new one I had bought for a laptop that was about to go, so I'm all set,
By the way, if by chance member bobvick here has occasion to lighten his equipment collection any of n the future, I cannot recommend anyone more highly.. My box arrived today and honestly, I've yet to see a factory pack a piece of equipment that carefully. It's beyond difficult to tell that it was ever used at all
Now to try to wrap my vacuum tube brain around the thing and get everything going
Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, what extensions for video are allowed for video clips? I just tried to upload a short clip of that 'snow' and it wouldn't allow the .mov extension.

Status
Please reply by conversation.